2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
But to have Ricketts and Theo available to meet on such quick notice with the press? Hard to imagine

Wasn't aware of a press conference, that would make my little conspiracy theory less likely. I thought it just kinda got out there on twitter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 12:25 PM)
Arrieta blamed yesterdays loss on the catching switch.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/cubs-br...ach-after-loss/

Maddon taking it easy like this might screw them over. You can't go into the playoffs like that.

The playoffs are mostly luck and momentum. When the talent gap gets closed and it's a 5 or 7 game series, anything can happen. The team that had to fight its way over the last few weeks has a huge edge on a team that clinched a week and a half early and then decided to have a Spring Training stint in late September.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
Arrieta's been fairly mediocre in the second half. If you're Maddon, do you even start him game 1? Lester and Hendricks have been much more effective.

From what I have seen the rotation is set as Lester, Hendricks, Arrieta. Lester has a 1.74 home ERA, Hendricks 1.32 at home.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
Guy at worked showed me a tattoo his friend got. It says, 2016 the curse is over with a cubs logo. He is so pissed. He showed every cub in the office and now they are pissed. This is too funny.

Man that tattoo is hilariously bad.Not just the content but the tattoo artist might be in 4th grade.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
Because of the cold weather?

No. As has been said earlier in this thread, Jake has been fairly mediocre as of late and I bet that'll continue in the playoffs. As far as Hendricks, same reason I thought Arrieta might have issues in last year's playoffs: he's no where near as good as he's pitched all season and at some point he's going to regress. Maybe it wont be until next year but with the extra starts in October, I'd bet on him getting hit around a bit in the playoffs. We'll obviously see.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
No. As has been said earlier in this thread, Jake has been fairly mediocre as of late and I bet that'll continue in the playoffs. As far as Hendricks, same reason I thought Arrieta might have issues in last year's playoffs: he's no where near as good as he's pitched all season and at some point he's going to regress. Maybe it wont be until next year but with the extra starts in October, I'd bet on him getting hit around a bit in the playoffs. We'll obviously see.

Hendricks has massively overachieved his peripherals. Sort of like Arrieta last year, but Arrieta's peripherals were elite to begin with. Hendricks' peripherals are just good. Hendricks and Lester both have extremely low BABIPs (Cubs defense is real good, so that makes sense) and very high strand rates (>83%). That doesn't mean things will change in the playoffs, but there's been a lot of good luck going for those 2 so far this year.

I think Arrietta is just a bit of a headcase this year. He finally cracked from last years unbreakable performance and while he is still really, REALLY, good, he isnt superhuman anymore. Maybe it has to do with not getting that contract, maybe he is just regressing to the mean a bit

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 08:38 PM)
I doubt the Cubs care one bit about the Sox right now. Also, no way they could arrange the move this quickly with the Nightengale tweet a few hours ago.

Exactly.

Just as in 05 we didn't care about the Cubs at all. There's no way in hell the Cubs care one iota about the Sox. The Sox are a total joke right now, a nonfactor in a division they should be dominating. The Cubs have $$$, they have youth, they are looking at domination for at least 8-10 years. Don't for a second believe they even know there's a team on the south side right now. Sox blew their chance to own the city. Somehow the Sox have to get it back now and it WILL NOT be easy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 06:07 PM)
Exactly.

Just as in 05 we didn't care about the Cubs at all. There's no way in hell the Cubs care one iota about the Sox. The Sox are a total joke right now, a nonfactor in a division they should be dominating. The Cubs have $$$, they have youth, they are looking at domination for at least 8-10 years. Don't for a second believe they even know there's a team on the south side right now. Sox blew their chance to own the city. Somehow the Sox have to get it back now and it WILL NOT be easy.

Yeah, the Bulls had all that a few years ago. Nothing in sports is promised