RIP Eddie Einhorn

flavum

@JonHeyman

einhorn received kidney transplant many years ago, he and donor grew very close. understandably, treated that man like king.

Seemed like a really nice guy, sorry to hear of his passing.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
He sounds like he was a great guy, however wasn't he the main cog behind the Sox going with the Sportsvision fiasco years ago?

Yes, but that was one part of his larger effort to get many sports on paid TV that never were before. He was a pioneer in that space, and mostly successful at it.

When Jerry and Eddie bought the team back in 1981, Bill Veeck was flirting with the idea of selling the Sox to the DeBartolo family. They were going to relocate the Sox to Tampa-St. Pete. So, thank you Eddie Einhorn (and Jerry Reinsdorf) for getting involved, buying the White Sox, and keeping the team in the South Side of Chicago.

Rest in peace, Eddie.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Feb 27, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
When Jerry and Eddie bought the team back in 1981, Bill Veeck was flirting with the idea of selling the Sox to the DeBartolo family. They were going to relocate the Sox to Tampa-St. Pete. So, thank you Eddie Einhorn (and Jerry Reinsdorf) for getting involved, buying the White Sox, and keeping the team in the South Side of Chicago.

Rest in peace, Eddie.

HUH?!?!? That is not true at all. There was absolutely ZERO discussion at that time of DeBartolo moving the team to Florida. None whatsoever, unless I missed something, in which case it would be helpful if you could produce a reliable source supporting this claim.

What we do know is one party that did threaten such a move, and that of course was from the Jerry Reinsdorf/Eddie Einhorn regime back in the mid-to-late '80s.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
HUH?!?!? That is not true at all. There was absolutely ZERO discussion at that time of DeBartolo moving the team to Florida. None whatsoever, unless I missed something, in which case it would be helpful if you could produce a reliable source supporting this claim.

What we do know is one party that did threaten such a move, and that of course was from the Jerry Reinsdorf/Eddie Einhorn regime back in the mid-to-late '80s.

Half right/wrong. It wasn't Florida, it was New Orleans

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/11/23/368...t-the-white-sox

The end of the Veeck era was a turbulent time for the Sox. If you google "Marvin Davis to buy the White Sox," you can read about oilman Davis' attempt to buy the White Sox and Comiskey Park, move the Sox to Denver, and lease Comiskey Park to the Oakland A's (probably after Charley Finley sold the A's to a new ownership group). Next came the DeBartolo fiasco—and I apologize that I got the city wrong, it was New Orleans—and finally Veeck sold the club to Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn. You can google "Ed DeBartolo to buy the White Sox" and read articles about that non-sale as well.

While Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn have made some mistakes and stepped on some toes over the past 35+ years, they did bring us the 2005 World Series Champions.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
The end of the Veeck era was a turbulent time for the Sox. If you google "Marvin Davis to buy the White Sox," you can read about oilman Davis' attempt to buy the White Sox and Comiskey Park, move the Sox to Denver, and lease Comiskey Park to the Oakland A's (probably after Charley Finley sold the A's to a new ownership group). Next came the DeBartolo fiasco—and I apologize that I got the city wrong, it was New Orleans—and finally Veeck sold the club to Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn. You can google "Ed DeBartolo to buy the White Sox" and read articles about that non-sale as well.

While Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn have made some mistakes and stepped on some toes over the past 35+ years, they did bring us the 2005 World Series Champions.

Charlie O would have kept the team. He is from LaPorte IN, and wanted his team close to him.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 04:05 PM)

"SOME mistakes"? Lol - "understatement" called and said you just made a MAJOR one. Good lord, Reinsdorf & Einhorn have been a disaster over the last 35 years. There is NO arguing that. Look at their record: their many organizational missteps have had the cumulative effect of the organization being in the shape it is today.

And here we are today, with our Chairman admittedly continuing to be the dominant voice in the day-to-day decision making, continuing to contribute to the make-up of our team's composition. As a result, look at this roster. Look at the missed opportunities this offseason to enable it to compete this season. I mean, W-O-W!!

Who among you feel confident in this management team's ability to put together a roster now and going forward capable of reversing this team's fortunes of recent years to compete for something meaningful?

Edited by Thad Bosley

well i wasn't going to say anything negative on EE rip thread. so i will keep it simple. the very first mistake, the gamble on pushing for a move to the NW and loosing, then loosing to the south loop. eventually stay where they are.

that is the beginning of a chain of mistakes.

enuf said on my part.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 06:42 PM)
"SOME mistakes"? Lol - "understatement" called and said you just made a MAJOR one. Good lord, Reinsdorf & Einhorn have been a disaster over the last 35 years. There is NO arguing that. Look at their record: their many organizational missteps have had the cumulative effect of the organization being in the shape it is today.

And here we are today, with our Chairman admittedly continuing to be the dominant voice in the day-to-day decision making, continuing to contribute to the make-up of our team's composition. As a result, look at this roster. Look at the missed opportunities this offseason to enable it to compete this season. I mean, W-O-W!!

Who among you feel confident in this management team's ability to put together a roster now and going forward capable of reversing this team's fortunes of recent years to compete for something meaningful?

Can you at least do us the solid of not trashing a dead guy in his RIP thread?