Fowler Signs with Cubs

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 06:42 PM)
The fact that Fowler just signed for $8m and an option actually doesn't upset me as much as the 3/$33m deal that fell through did -- this choice was clearly about an opt-out. I get that Hahn didn't want to put Fowler back on the market after one season if it meant losing a prospect.

Yep, he wasn't going anywhere unless he could either get a deal that was too good to pass up or could opt-out after a season

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)
The fact that Fowler just signed for $8m and an option actually doesn't upset me as much as the 3/$33m deal that fell through did -- this choice was clearly about an opt-out. I get that Hahn didn't want to put Fowler back on the market after one season if it meant losing a prospect.

Right, but the trade off is likely losing a prospect that is closer to the majors if they trade for an OF now, or in June/July.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
People saying this is some awful offseason aren't dealing in reality. They made quite a few substantial improvements.

That said, what is so frustrating to me is that it WAS a pretty good offseason, and they left themselves just one major hole short that would have made it a really good offseason. That makes no sense. Why go most of the way? When Fowler was obviously so affordable? That does piss me off.

I'm of the opinion that at this juncture you must grade the Sox 2015-16 offseason on a pass/fail basis. Either they pass by having made every move possible to contend for a Central Division title and World Series with their world class core, or they fail by not surrounding said world class core with the necessary personnel and complementary pieces that can help lead them to the Promise Land.

At this juncture, and especially after having whiffed on one more quality upgrade multiple times this offseason, I'd have to agree, they've failed. But there's still time to "pass", in my less-than-adept opinion.

Edited by gosoxgo2005

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
Can't fault guys that want to play where their heart is i.e Gordon, Cespedes and now Fowler. Money doesn't always talk.

If we get an upgrade in the outfield before the start of the season, this is still a really good off season. If we don't get an OF, then this off season is confusing and wasting another year of the core.

Could not agree more. Cespedes was very open about his desire to stay in NY and the same with Gordon and KC. The cubs and their fans love Fowler so its really no surprise he's back on the North side. The cubs went to the NLCS last year and on paper, improved during the off season so why wouldn't Fowler want to return to the cubs? If I were him, I would too. Can't fault the Sox FO for not signing players that wanted to re-sign with their former team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
The ad program is a key word finder. It is absolutely true. The reason the ad is there is because it is seeing post after post about them.

I'm happy Fowler signed with the Cubs rather than with Baltimore. The more good players not in the American League the better and i firmly believe the Cubs and their success on doing what their doing puts more pressure on Hahn and Kenny to make moves and put a better product on the field and try to keep the Sox relevant.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
The ad program is a key word finder. It is absolutely true. The reason the ad is there is because it is seeing post after post about them.

I've been seeing that ad with the Cubbie blue laser beam constantly since the day the Cubs thread was created, before anybody replied in it and certainly before today. So the mere existence of that thread triggered the ad for me? I kind of doubt that. Figured it had more to do with the Cubs' current marketing push for tix + we all have baseball sites in our browsing histories.

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
I'm happy Fowler signed with the Cubs rather than with Baltimore. The more good players not in the American League the better and i firmly believe the Cubs and their success on doing what their doing puts more pressure on Hahn and Kenny to make moves and put a better product on the field and try to keep the Sox relevant.

As much as both teams always seem to downplay it, I agree with you. If the Cubs get better, it does cause the White Sox to be a little more aggressive.(As much as the current pursuit of an additional OF seems to squash that thought) Even Hawk agreed. On the other side of the coin, the attendance trophy suddenly wasn't good enough anymore when the Sox won it all.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 12:56 PM)
I'm of the opinion that at this juncture you must grade the Sox 2015-16 offseason on a pass/fail basis. Either they pass by having made every move possible to contend for a Central Division title and World Series with their world class core, or they fail by not surrounding said world class core with the necessary personnel and complementary pieces that can help lead them to the Promise Land.

At this juncture, and especially after having whiffed on one more quality upgrade multiple times this offseason, I'd have to agree, they've failed. But there's still time to "pass", in my less-than-adept opinion.

Unless baseball rosters become 1 player each, I don't understand how it can ever be pass/fail.

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 12:56 PM)

There would literally not be a team in professional baseball that would rate a pass.

The Cubs missed on the top flight pitchers - FAIL

The Yankees didn't sign a single FA - FAIL

The Dodgers let Grienke walk - FAIL

Etc.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
Unless baseball rosters become 1 player each, I don't understand how it can ever be pass/fail.

I could be incorrect, and hope I am, but to me it seems that all they have done to this point (still a a good while before opening day!) is improve a bad product to a decent/slightly better than decent product. The goal for every organization is to win World Series titles. There were players available that could (should, perhaps?) have been acquired to help aid the organization to reaching this penultimate goal, but for whatever reason, they weren't. I think the Sox can and will contend for a wild card; the World Series? Not right now, no. In that respect, I would have to say the off-season has been a failure to this point. I do, however, still feel that changes will be made and we will enter opening day feeling more confident in the Sox chances of making the post season in a long, long time.

Edited by gosoxgo2005

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 08:43 PM)
I could be incorrect, and hope I am, but to me it seems that all they have done is improve a bad product to a decent/slightly better than decent product. The goal for every organization is to win World Series titles. There were players available that could (should, perhaps) have been acquired to help aid the organization to reaching this penultimate goal, but for whatever reason, they weren't. I think the Sox can and will contend for a wild card; the World Series? Not right now, no. In that respect, I would have to say the off-season has been a failure to this point. I do, however, still feel that changes will be made and we will enter opening day feeling more confident in the Sox chances of making the post season in a long, long time.

that is the point i am saying, the team is what it is and at whose fault, that is why the owners needs to pony up to fix this team.

a fixed team will bring the fans back in droves,

sell more tickets / season tickets,

make a run for the playoff,

make the playoff, the commercial money will come in

at the same time the farm will be getting the time it needs to get better while simultaneously the parent team will be making a run for the playoff.

and mostly

build a team that can repeatedly make the run for the playoff

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)

i can see how a teams goals that may have been express were not completed, hence the fail part.

i guess it is mostly subjective in someone interpretation.

but this is for the white sox team only.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 08:52 PM)
No one should be mad at the Sox.

Fowler taking that deal 100% translates to he wanted to stay a Cubbie.

by default one can look at it that way.

i would look at it as what was the offer of the sox, if the sox ever made an offer.

however if a 1 yr deal is on the table and all it would take is lets say 10 + mil to get this team to the running of the playoff. yeah it is a steep price to pay, that comp pick.

but the state of this team is what it is b/c of mismanagement or poor management that goes back more than 2 or 3 yrs.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
People saying this is some awful offseason aren't dealing in reality. They made quite a few substantial improvements.

That said, what is so frustrating to me is that it WAS a pretty good offseason, and they left themselves just one major hole short that would have made it a really good offseason. That makes no sense. Why go most of the way? When Fowler was obviously so affordable? That does piss me off.

Agree this was not an awful offseason but I don't agree "they made quite a few substantial improvements". Frazier should be substantial and hopefully Lawrie is a solid improvement. But the catchers , Latos, Rollins etc are all pretty questionable and you lost Shark and Alexei. I have posted several times that I feel these substantial improvements you refer to will weaken our infield defense compared to 2nd half of last season. I don't think they are still a wildcard contender but more like a .500 team