Adam Eaton "Racial" Tweet Controversy

Jose Abreu

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 09:12 PM)
It's not a big deal but at the same time he's got to be smarter than that. In this day and age, people are going to run with that.

I feel like Adam should just get rid of his Twitter account or have someone else manage it for him. I remember he got into a stupid argument with a Cubs fan last year. So pointless...

His intentions were good, it was just said in the wrong way. It's not like this is anywhere near the worst thing a pro athlete has said in history. This shouldn't be a big deal, but in this town with those idiots in the media, who knows.

Edited by aryzner

I guess the "politically correct" interpretation or BLM one would be that years of systemic and endemic Hollywood racism (as well as sexism) have forced this discussion into the public spotlight.

Obviously, Chris Rock probably added some fuel to the fire as well, the boycott of the Selma director to focus on issues in Flint, etc.

It's also the kind of statement that fits into the narrative of "why don't African-Americans feel welcomed by the sport of baseball...?"

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 05:02 AM)
Adam EatonVerified account

‏@AdamSpankyEaton

Hope everyone sees me as a person that loves anyone and everyone. I'm sorry if I upset anyone. Didn't mean anything by it. My apologizes...

pretty unnecessary

i agree but for those who are upset, i hope this ends it.

what it ends..... i do not know.

The irony is that fans want to interact with athletes on Twitter and then become butt-hurt if the athelete says something the fans don't agree with or mis-interpret. Athletes, like fans, have an equal right to say what's on their minds and nobody is being forced to "follow" anyone.

Apologizing then will be perceived as an admission of guilt.

No matter what you do as an athlete, you're going to be open to interpretation or those with a political agenda when you have words on a screen and no other context for them.

If it was said in the tone of "why can't we all just get along?" it would lend itself to a different frame or reference...not joking exactly, but more irreverent humor.

Versus..."white people are always being forced to justify their actions/awards are not considered based solely on merit" way of looking at things.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 11:52 PM)
So someone uses his status as "celebrity" to try and promote a message about peace and love among all human beings and that is considered racist?

Am I missing something here.

Was just about to make a similar post.

How it could be considered racist in the least bit is beyond me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 04:38 AM)
Apologizing then will be perceived as an admission of guilt.

No matter what you do as an athlete, you're going to be open to interpretation or those with a political agenda when you have words on a screen and no other context for them.

If it was said in the tone of "why can't we all just get along?" it would lend itself to a different frame or reference...not joking exactly, but more irreverent humor.

Versus..."white people are always being forced to justify their actions/awards are not considered based solely on merit" way of looking at things.

at this point, he is in a no - win situation. damn if you, damn if you don't.

this time, i feel sorry for him....

Jason Goff already replied to his tweet, calling him a "f***ing Clown" I believe.

I can't remember because I replied saying I lost any respect I had for Goff, to which he then blocked me on Twitter because apparently he's a child and can't handle a random internetter calling him out for being a dick for no reason.

Lulz.

Edited by Chilihead90