Frazier Interested in Extension w/ Sox

Dunt

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 06:06 PM)
I think it is pretty common. Not necessarily because of aging, just maybe incompetence at 3B. Some with White Sox ties Dick Allen, Jim Thome, Paul Konerko. I would guess a good percentage of RH first baseman started their professional careers at a different position.

Add Texeira, Giambi, Bagwell, McGwire and Edgar Martinez to that list. 1B should be an easier position to play since there's less throwing and less bunts down the first base line than the third base line. I think the biggest hurdle for the third to first conversion is handling throws from the rest of the infielders. Frazier is listed at 6'3" so he should be a big enough target and I think he could handle throws from the infielders.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
i agree and many others made excellent pov.

finding a position for him will not be a factor.

but i think it is up to the owners.

why are all the fa's signees doesn't really go beyound 2 yrs???

it is just me and looking too deep, maybe.

what?

the?

what?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
Samadjiza never said it though.

he said that he was excited to be here, and that he would like to see how 2015 went before they worked on a long term deal. And it was hahn that said he was told jeff was fully interested in entering the market, even if he opted to join the sox after exploring free agency.

I agree with everyone else. The Sox have control of Frazier through the '17 season so let's see how Frazier performs this year and if the Sox and Frazier see each as a long term fit for the future, they can take care of an extension at some point next off season. It's a good sign that Frazier is open to the idea though. I'm hopefing for the same with Lawrie as well.

I certainly would wait. But the longer you wait the higher the price (if he produces, which he should do).

Samardzija was a fly ball pitcher so I never understood the fit other than he was perceived as a grinder. Although he disappointed, he actually produced his normal WAR, with his career year of 2014, which the Sox bought off of, the aberration.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 08:00 PM)
He is 100% saying all the right things...right now.

I'm not thinking it will change, but let's see if he is making the same comments on a Wednesday night in April at the Cell when it's 38 degrees and there are 17 people in the stands. Or in Septemeber when they could be 8 games out of it.

All of that might not happen, and the ra-ra stuff is always a staple at spring training, but let's see if he is still singing the same tune eight months from now. I honestly hope he is.

As the Vice President to President Balta's "Ventura doesn't know how to handle Spring Training" campaign, I have been very pleased with everything I've heard about how the Sox are approaching Spring Training so far.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
As the Vice President to President Balta's "Ventura doesn't know how to handle Spring Training" campaign, I have been very pleased with everything I've heard about how the Sox are approaching Spring Training so far.

What haven't the Sox been doing in spring training that good teams do, and are there any links available proving they don't do these things or is it all speculation?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 10:04 PM)
What haven't the Sox been doing in spring training that good teams do, and are there any links available proving they don't do these things or is it all speculation?

Every quote from them the last few weeks is about focusing more in ST, etc.

His comment was started shortly after the first free agent arrived at his first spring training a few decades back and gets repeated every year. Blah blah blah glad to be here, blah blah love the team blah blah love the fans, blah blah would love to stay here long term . . .

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 05:28 PM)
I'm curious how common it is for a third baseman to shift over to 1B as he ages. Outside of Miguel Cabrera who are some other examples of plus-offensive guys moving from 3rd to 1st in the last few decades? Chipper went out to left, Arod doesn't apply to this convo, Beltre no, Rolen no. Is this really a thing?

Frazier already plays first though, so it wouldn't be like a new position for him.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
but let's see if he is making the same comments on a Wednesday night in April at the Cell when it's 38 degrees and there are 17 people in the stands. Or in Septemeber when they could be 8 games out of it.

i'm pretty sure Cincy had some cold nights in April and meaningless games in September too. ;)

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
I have always liked Frazier, and so far he is saying all the right things

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/frazier...with-white-sox/

He seems to be a good guy and has a rep of having a good attitude, but making a comment about his comfort level after 2 weeks in the warm sun is a little rash unless he did it just to get a jump on planting a seed for his future.

Edited by OnlyGillis

Lets see how he performs this year before giving him a long term contract. The White Sox haven't had any success with ex National League players. Both Dunn and LaRoche performed well in the NL and came over to the AL and tanked. I'm hoping Frazier has more success with the White Sox than those 2 did.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 06:59 AM)
Lets see how he performs this year before giving him a long term contract. The White Sox haven't had any success with ex National League players. Both Dunn and LaRoche performed well in the NL and came over to the AL and tanked. I'm hoping Frazier has more success with the White Sox than those 2 did.

Carlos Quentin? Adam Eaton?

I think the NL to AL conversion is a bit over blown. No doubt that Dunn underwhelmed but LaRoche is a different case in that he was signed at 35 years old. Age caught up to LaRoche, plain and simple.

I do agree that waiting to see how Frazier performs before talking about an extension is the right the to do but not because he came from the NL. Making sure there's a fit for both him and the Sox along with rebounding from his '15 second half performance is more important. There's plenty of time.