White Sox considering OFs Bruce, CarGo

peppers312

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
Never trust a man with two first names. Sox should take a hard pass on Jay Bruce.

EDIT: wait.... Frank Thomas.

Nevermind.

There used to be a Loyola basketball player with 3 first names in his first name Alfredrick Hughes. That was a guy you had to be careful around.

I have a picture on my phone of the xfinity guide's description of an episode of @midnight when the panelists were Jesse Joyce, Jordan Carlos, and Jamie Lee. I don't know who any of those people are but it was a magical moment for someone like me who cares about two first names. I mean, just dig into it. You've got six first names between three people, all three first first names are gender neutral, and multiple ethnicities are represented. I nearly wept.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
chisox and reds havent had any recent talks regarding jay bruce. with a-jax in fold, CWS not seeking starting OF

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/707701964369334277

Well, Duh... right?

That mlb.com article earlier today suggesting the Sox still get Bruce made zero sense.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
With LaRoche and Jackson hitting FA next year, and Melky the year after that, I'd say that the Sox don't have enough of the OF/DH types going forward.

If the Sox wanted to dump LaRoche for Bruce, they'd need to throw in something other than a current Sox outfielder. A bullpen arm would make the most sense. And even then, I think that may do more harm than good.

Jay Bruce will be a free agent after this season unless his '17 option is picked up. If his '17 is picked up then he still becomes a free agent the same year as Melky, Lawrie and Frazier.

LaRoche will be replaced next year by Melky so that's not a problem and we could end up seeing May replace Jackson so I'm really not concerned about DH and CF for 2017. The problem is this year and that the Sox usually have a four man bench, two of which will be occupied by Navarro/Avila/Saladino/Rollins at any given time which leaves two spot on the bench along with the DH open.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 07:54 PM)
Jay Bruce will be a free agent after this season unless his '17 option is picked up. If his '17 is picked up then he still becomes a free agent the same year as Melky, Lawrie and Frazier.

Given that Bruce has put up a .654 and .729 OPS, respectively, over the past two seasons, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that his 2017 option would be declined by the Sox. Bruce is likely to hit better than LaRoche this year, but probably not by much.

LaRoche will be replaced next year by Melky so that's not a problem and we could end up seeing May replace Jackson so I'm really not concerned about DH and CF for 2017. The problem is this year and that the Sox usually have a four man bench, two of which will be occupied by Navarro/Avila/Saladino/Rollins at any given time which leaves two spot on the bench along with the DH open.

I haven't read up on the Sox's prospect rankings for months, but I don't recall anybody being that high on May. He could surprise, but I don't (yet) see any evidence that he could be a starting major league CF. It speaks volumes that, up until a couple of months ago, Trayce Thompson was regarded as our best outfield prospect. The consensus among scouts seems to be that Anderson is the only position player who is projected to be even close to a sure thing in the majors. And that's a pretty damning indictment of our farm system.

DH is relatively easy to fill, but CF is not. I've heard rumors of Anderson's defense being somewhat suspect and whispers of the Sox moving him to CF. I think that's unlikely, though, especially with SS being relatively hard to fill Eaton being decent enough defensively to play CF. Until the Sox start developing position players in their minor league system, they're going to have to either get lucky with trade opportunities (Frazier, Lawrie) or rely on mediocre free agents (Jackson, Avila, Navarro, etc.) to fill holes. This is why I'm glad that Hahn was able to hold onto that comp pick this winter.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 09:43 PM)
Given that Bruce has put up a .654 and .729 OPS, respectively, over the past two seasons, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that his 2017 option would be declined by the Sox. Bruce is likely to hit better than LaRoche this year, but probably not by much.

I haven't read up on the Sox's prospect rankings for months, but I don't recall anybody being that high on May. He could surprise, but I don't (yet) see any evidence that he could be a starting major league CF. It speaks volumes that, up until a couple of months ago, Trayce Thompson was regarded as our best outfield prospect. The consensus among scouts seems to be that Anderson is the only position player who is projected to be even close to a sure thing in the majors. And that's a pretty damning indictment of our farm system.

DH is relatively easy to fill, but CF is not. I've heard rumors of Anderson's defense being somewhat suspect and whispers of the Sox moving him to CF. I think that's unlikely, though, especially with SS being relatively hard to fill Eaton being decent enough defensively to play CF. Until the Sox start developing position players in their minor league system, they're going to have to either get lucky with trade opportunities (Frazier, Lawrie) or rely on mediocre free agents (Jackson, Avila, Navarro, etc.) to fill holes. This is why I'm glad that Hahn was able to hold onto that comp pick this winter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying May will be the solution, just saying he is possible. May has been trending upward since he opened some eyes during the '14 season. His defense is already there, just need the bat to come around. We'll know more about him after he's had some time at AAA this year. I'm more concerned with his weak arm in CF but according to some of the scouting I've read recently, his arm is passable for CF since he has the wheels to cover alot of ground in CF.

As you mentioned, Anderson is also a possibility. From the way the FO talks up Anderson it sounds like he is the SS of the future. I think the only way Anderson moves to CF is if Saladino hits his way into being the full-time SS this year since Saladino already has the defensive aspect of the position down.

I'm with you on the comp pick. I would have gladly given it up for the right player but preferred to keep it since this year's draft is supposed to be deep. Great draft to have 3 picks in the top 50.

As for Bruce. I'm with ya as far as preferring him over LaRoche. I think Bruce's bat could come around but his defense has been bad for two straight years and if that continues, he could be worse than Avi. At least Avi has youth on his side and think he should be in LF.

I'm guess the Bruce talk is kind of moot now that Jackson has signed and supposedly the Sox haven't had any further discussions with Cinci since the signing. Still makes for interesting discussions though. :)

I agree that Bruce to the Sox is not likely to happen, but I'm not sure I agree that it would be bad for the Sox. We are relying on a bounce back from LaRoche, who couldn't go 2 days and came up with back spasms. Bruce could take his spot, with LaRoche put on the DL. Or Shucks spot. He is an adequate RF. Eaton could go to left. Melky to DH. Avi would platoon with Bruce like he would with LaRoche.

Sox would only be on the hook for a year, but if he rebounded he would easily be worth the $13m optuon for 2017.

So, Bruce solves the LaRoche issue pretty well.

Question is cost, in money and players. If the Reds pay some money, they get a better prospect. Seems like the Sox could afford a lower level pitcher or 2. What they gave up for Lawrie, for example.

If LaRoche also hits, then Jackson gets fewer at bats against righties. That was going to be Shucks job anyway. Taking some of Jackson's starts against right handers.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
I agree that Bruce to the Sox is not likely to happen, but I'm not sure I agree that it would be bad for the Sox. We are relying on a bounce back from LaRoche, who couldn't go 2 days and came up with back spasms. Bruce could take his spot, with LaRoche put on the DL. Or Shucks spot. He is an adequate RF. Eaton could go to left. Melky to DH. Avi would platoon with Bruce like he would with LaRoche.

Sox would only be on the hook for a year, but if he rebounded he would easily be worth the $13m optuon for 2017.

So, Bruce solves the LaRoche issue pretty well.

Question is cost, in money and players. If the Reds pay some money, they get a better prospect. Seems like the Sox could afford a lower level pitcher or 2. What they gave up for Lawrie, for example.

If LaRoche also hits, then Jackson gets fewer at bats against righties. That was going to be Shucks job anyway. Taking some of Jackson's starts against right handers.

I don't understand why a guy who has been awful 2 years straight solves the problem of the guy who was awful just 1 year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
There are $12.5 million reasons that Jay Bruce isn't going to happen. This screams of writers trying to make a fit where one really doesn't exist.

Thats amount isn't far from what the White Sox spent in free agency this offseason.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
I'm not saying bruce is the answer is just really believe they might still be a big bat away still.

Bruce isn't a "big bat" anymore. Heck his numbers especially in 2014 were more like Avi than a big bat. Even his 2015 year was WAY under what he used to be.

The only way that trading for Bruce would make sense for the Sox would be a LaRohce-for-Bruce swap. And the Reds have no incentive to make that deal, unless Bruce is miserable in Cincy and somehow becoming a problem for the organization. The Sox would likely have to include a reliever, and I wouldn't want to give up Petricka or Albers for a (likely) very small uptick in offensive production from Bruce.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
Upgrading LaRoche to Bruce provides a marginal upgrade at a substantial cost. It won't happen, and I wouldn't even want it to happen at this point. There are better things to do with those resources.

Their contracts are almost identical, which means Cincy has zero reason to do the deal. They want to move salary to get younger, not another bad contract and player.