White Sox considering OFs Bruce, CarGo

peppers312

per RotoWorld...

"Bruce Levine of WSCR-AM reports that the White Sox "may now be focused on" Carlos Gonzalez and Jay Bruce in their pursuit of left-handed power.

The report adds that CarGo's contract and the Rockies' asking price "is the holdup right now" and that Bruce "might be more practical." Levine was told by one general manager who had talks with the Rockies about Gonzalez that they asked for "my top two minor league players, a major league player and to absorb most of the contract." Bruce, meanwhile, was nearly dealt to the Blue Jays last week in a three-team trade before the deal fell apart because of a physical issue involving a prospect. He would come significantly cheaper than CarGo, but of course isn't nearly as good of a player."

not sure how true this is, thought i would share.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
per RotoWorld...

"Bruce Levine of WSCR-AM reports that the White Sox "may now be focused on" Carlos Gonzalez and Jay Bruce in their pursuit of left-handed power.

The report adds that CarGo's contract and the Rockies' asking price "is the holdup right now" and that Bruce "might be more practical." Levine was told by one general manager who had talks with the Rockies about Gonzalez that they asked for "my top two minor league players, a major league player and to absorb most of the contract." Bruce, meanwhile, was nearly dealt to the Blue Jays last week in a three-team trade before the deal fell apart because of a physical issue involving a prospect. He would come significantly cheaper than CarGo, but of course isn't nearly as good of a player."

not sure how true this is, thought i would share.

giphy.gif

Seems like a pretty obvious "calm the masses" type leak from the FO. Nobody really makes trades this time of year especially not involving major players like Braun or Cargo. I'm guessing it's because by now payrolls are pretty much finalized. How are the Sox gonna afford CarGo or Braun given they apparently can't even afford Austin Jackson?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 05:16 PM)
It's a Bruce Levine article. Nothing to see here folks, move along. :D

I don't follow the Chicagoland media that closely is Levine the Sox mouthpiece the same way KC Johnson is for the Bulls? Whenever the Bulls want to make something public they always leak it to KC.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 04:19 PM)
I don't follow the Chicagoland media that closely is Levine the Sox mouthpiece the same way KC Johnson is for the Bulls? Whenever the Bulls want to make something public they always leak it to KC.

Levine is just a mouthpiece, period. I can't remember the last time he wrote about a rumor that actually came to fruition. I've noticed that when Levine writes about something, it's usually after another writer has written about it already.

Rockies aren't going to give up CarGo without taking Anderson or Fulmer. Not worth it. Ethier can do what CarGo can and will cost less.

Bruce doesn't seem worth it even as a pure salary dump. Better to sign AJax for cheaper and greatly improve the outfield defense.

Hopefully they're using Levine to help leverage Ethier or AJax.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 04:24 PM)
Levine is just a mouthpiece, period. I can't remember the last time he wrote about a rumor that actually came to fruition. I've noticed that when Levine writes about something, it's usually after another writer has written about it already.

Levine broke the Melky signing but I'm pretty sure KW gave him the story. I believe he broke Fowler as well.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 04:24 PM)

I'm not a Levine follower but he called Lawrie to the Sox before anybody and he said we weren't even looking at Desmond which as it turns out was probably true. Thank god he was right because who wants 25 errors and 180 strikeouts from your shortstop. And what is all this Austin Jackson love. I wouldn't Touch him for any price. Go big with Cargo or Reddick or go home IMO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
On the beach.

Has anyone else noticed that Levine always writes a article speculating who the Sox might pick up on Friday? I thinks wants people to listen to his talk show Saturday morning. He did it 3 Fridays in a row now. Last Friday he broke the possible Fowler to the Sox story. No biggie

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 04:37 PM)
Levine broke the Melky signing but I'm pretty sure KW gave him the story. I believe he broke Fowler as well.

Fine, you win! Levine still sucks. :P

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
I'm not a Levine follower but he called Lawrie to the Sox before anybody and he said we weren't even looking at Desmond which as it turns out was probably true. Thank god he was right because who wants 25 errors and 180 strikeouts from your shortstop. And what is all this Austin Jackson love. I wouldn't Touch him for any price. Go big with Cargo or Reddick or go home IMO.

The way I remember it, raBBit and Slusser were the first to come out with the Sox being linked to Lawrie, not Levine. Levine wrote about it after the rumor spread on Twitter, IIRC.