White Sox considering OFs Bruce, CarGo

peppers312

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
Not new news here at all. Plus I don't see the benefit for the White Sox to give up their top minor league prospects, who are close to contributing at the major league level, for hig priced players with maybe one year or so of control.

I'm with you on this. This a typical move that will backfire on Sox if completed, which I doubt. Unlike many here, I don't think the Sox are good enough to compete yet in 2016. Hope I'm wrong. IMO, the only way Hahn can dig himself out is to make a really big move with 2017 in mind. I thought he had a chance with Boston a few months ago, before they added Price and Kimbrel. Bosox are loaded with great prospects. Could have made a deal with Q as the centerpiece. Too late now.

But now rumors about Rockettes and Sox are intriguing. They also are really loaded with great prospects, and they need a starting pitcher. Enter Q. Takes some creativity, but the parts are there. I don't care if it includes Cargo or not.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
I'm with you on this. This a typical move that will backfire on Sox if completed, which I doubt. Unlike many here, I don't think the Sox are good enough to compete yet in 2016. Hope I'm wrong. IMO, the only way Hahn can dig himself out is to make a really big move with 2017 in mind. I thought he had a chance with Boston a few months ago, before they added Price and Kimbrel. Bosox are loaded with great prospects. Could have made a deal with Q as the centerpiece. Too late now.

But now rumors about Rockettes and Sox are intriguing. They also are really loaded with great prospects, and they need a starting pitcher. Enter Q. Takes some creativity, but the parts are there. I don't care if it includes Cargo or not.

Trading Q at this point makes trading for Fraizer and Lawrie completely pointless. If the Sox are going to trade anyone away at his caliber it'll be at the deadline or next offseason. They are going for it this year without handcuffing the team with additional bad contracts and blowing up the farm.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 08:55 PM)
A little bit of a joke, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Outside of Cargo, Bruce, Ethier, and Kemp, I really don't know who is out there on the trade front.

The Rays have a glut in the OF. They don't have the money to keep everyone.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 07:41 PM)
Levine uses inexplicably bad grammar to hide the fact that all his articles are personal speculations disguised as reported rumors. He's actually a master of the written word, but he chooses to use his gift for evil.

Tell me about it. He actually had the gall to refer to Jerry Reinsdorf in this article as an "aggressive owner who always wants to win". I mean, talk about backing up the old saying of "paper doesn't refuse ink". What aggression and what winning is he talking about? GMAFB.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
I have no idea on who the target is. I was told the Levine report was bull and they were trying to add an OFer but nothing else.

Unless it is a signing that is going to be announced that day, most of Levines info seems to be his speculation rather than actual information he has received.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
Tell me about it. He actually had the gall to refer to Jerry Reinsdorf in this article as an "aggressive owner who always wants to win". I mean, talk about backing up the old saying of "paper doesn't refuse ink". What aggression and what winning is he talking about? GMAFB.

well i have been JR and the owners worst critics and with cause. but the signing today.

way to go and doing the right thing by going for it.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
I'm really shocked that people still see this as a possibility. In my mind, the Jackson signing closed this door emphatically.

Agreed and I think people are just running with Levine's speculation. There's no room for Bruce unless Cinci takes LaRoche and one of Avi/Melky back in the trade. The Sox have too many outfielders and should-be DH's as it is. I just don't see how the Sox and Reds match up in a trade involving Jay Bruce.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
Agreed and I think people are just running with Levine's speculation. There's no room for Bruce unless Cinci takes LaRoche and one of Avi/Melky back in the trade. The Sox have too many outfielders and should-be DH's as it is. I just don't see how the Sox and Reds match up in a trade involving Jay Bruce.

On a scale of 1-10 what kind of fielder is Bruce?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)

With LaRoche and Jackson hitting FA next year, and Melky the year after that, I'd say that the Sox don't have enough of the OF/DH types going forward.

If the Sox wanted to dump LaRoche for Bruce, they'd need to throw in something other than a current Sox outfielder. A bullpen arm would make the most sense. And even then, I think that may do more harm than good.

Edited by Black_Jack29