2016 Minor League Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

Bill Mitchell ‏@billazbbphotog 37m37 minutes ago

Hansen now has enough innings pitched to qualify for the Pioneer League prospect list.

Matt Eddy @MattEddyBA

Alec Hansen's early success in Pioneer League reminds me of fellow Oklahoma starter Garrett Richards, who charted similar course.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/base...spects-chat-13/

Benjamin (Chicago): Alec Hansen has started his pro career out better than anyone could have imagined. What does the future hold for him? Is he anything more than an 4 or 5 starter when he finally lands in Chicago?

Ben Badler: There’s a wide range of outcomes for Hansen, but that’s one of the most encouraging pitcher debuts for a 2016 draft pick. Matt Eddy drew a parallel the other day between Hansen and Garrett Richards, another pitcher who had terrific stuff with poor results in college, and I think it’s a smart one. It’s frontline starter stuff, and if he can continue to throw strikes the way he is now, wow, the White Sox could end up with a steal.

Could it be time to re-evaluate Leury Garcia? He has had a very good year at AAA, especially vs. RHP. Last year at Charlotte, he was actually better against LHP, while hitting around .300, overall.

With his speed and defense, I'd like to see what he could do at second. He seems to have finally figured it out, and is still only 25. At the very least, maybe he could be a decent utility guy, at SS, 2B and CF.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 20, 2016 -> 07:49 AM)
Could it be time to re-evaluate Leury Garcia? He has had a very good year at AAA, especially vs. RHP. Last year at Charlotte, he was actually better against LHP, while hitting around .300, overall.

With his speed and defense, I'd like to see what he could do at second. He seems to have finally figured it out, and is still only 25. At the very least, maybe he could be a decent utility guy, at SS, 2B and CF.

Leury is sporting an unsustainable .400 BABIP, so I'd wouldn't take his numbers at face value. Having said that, his K & BB rates are pretty decent and with his speed and defensive versatility, he could be a valuable utility guy. I still don't think he'd be an effective starter and would much rather see Saladino get an opportunity at 2B before him. But there's no reason for Sanchez to be our major league bench over Luery at this point. I think he'll receive a call-up in September.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 20, 2016 -> 07:49 AM)

I think he could have value on the bench being able to play infield and outfield. Possibly a solid 25th man.

I am pretty excited about the development of Amado Nunez and what it says about the Sox player development strategy.

If a player were performing this well at a level, it seemed like the Sox would promote them if they were ready or not. Now it seems like the Sox are really taking their time with guys and not rushing them. Look at Call, Hansen and Fisher for example. Its a new day for the Sox.

*Also I really like Franklin Reyes from what the reports and articles that I've read and the video I've scene. Really excited to see him after his first season as professional and after another year of instructs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
FutureSox ‏@FutureSox 3h3 hours ago Carson Fulmer at 63, Zack Collins at 89 on post-draft updated @MLBPipeline Top 100 MLB prospects list: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016/?list=prospects …

Is this the same ranking system I found here from last year, where Fulmer was listed 9th?

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2016/08/26/klawchat-82616/

Biscuit: Read a few reports last year that Adam Engel had made some swing changes in the AFL with great results, allowing him to finally unlock some of his hit tool. Have you heard whether those changes have stuck? Stat line does not seem to indicate any sort of improvement.

Klaw: I thought it was a dubious claim and that his tools overall were too light for him to have any impact.

Frank in Chicago: What has Alec Hansen been doing differently since his college days? I like this version. How many years away is he?

Klaw: Hoping to see him next week if schedule and weather permit. The White Sox sahy they’ve cleaned up the delivery. I was afraid he wasn’t healthy this spring, but so far so good on that front.

Keith Law's thoughts on Zack Collins defense.

Nate: Zack Collins is start at HiA has been pretty solid. Any reports on his catching?

Klaw: He’s not a catcher. He’ll hit his way to the majors at another position.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
More optimistic on Zack Burdi.

Nate: Any chance that Zach Burdi is a starter?

Klaw: Yes, a small chance, but a definite chance.

Even if it's a small chance, I'd like to see them explore it. As weak as our system is at the moment, we could enter the 2017 season with Fulmer (AAA), Burdi, (AAA/AA), Adams (AA), Stephens (AA), & Hansen (A+) as starters in high A & above. That's a very nice group of starting pitching prospects to have in the pipeline, especially in the event we move Sale and/or Quintana.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
Keith Law's thoughts on Zack Collins defense.

Nate: Zack Collins is start at HiA has been pretty solid. Any reports on his catching?

Klaw: He’s not a catcher. He’ll hit his way to the majors at another position.

Grab the man an outfielder glove.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
Grab the man an outfielder glove.

He is 220 pounds and has stolen one base in 2016 between college and the pros. He has what scouts lovingly call a "catchers body." If he can't stick at catcher he is a 1B/DH for sure.

Personally, I think he will end up catching a few days a week and being a C/1B/DH hybrid. He should platoon with a strong defensive catcher type like Omar Narvaez.