White Sox HR totals should get a big boost this year

VAfan

Last year, the White Sox had the worst offense in the AL by far, with 622 runs scored. (Next lowest was Seattle with 656 runs.) Hard to believe a team with that pathetic of an offense could win 76 games. The Sox were also last in HR at 136. I believe they were SO bad, that it turned the Cell from a plus HR field into a negative one!

Here's what it looked like last year.

1B Abreu 30

2B Sanchez/Johnson 5

SS Ramirez 10

3B Gillaspie/Beckham/Saladino/Olt 16

DH LaRoche 12

LF Melky 12

CF Eaton 14

RF Garcia 13

C Flowers/Soto 18

Bench - Shuck/Thompson/Bonafacio/Brantly 5

Total 136

This year I expect.

1B Abreu 35. Should be better with protection behind him.

2B Lawrie 18. Could go higher if he stays healthy.

SS Rollins/Saladino 16. Jimmy has hit more than that himself two years ago.

3B Frazier 35. This was his number last year, when he tailed off in the second half.

DH LaRoche/Garcia 20. Could go higher if LaRoche can stay healthy.

LF Melky 15. Should show some return to form after a horrid start to 2015.

CF Jackson 9. What he hit last year.

RF Eaton 14. What he hit last year.

Bench. Shuck 0. What he hit last year.

Total 182

That would put the Sox 6th in the AL based on last year's numbers.

(I wanted to put in a nice table, but I can't figure out how to do it here.)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Composite projections from RotoChamp:

Eaton: 10

Abreu: 31

Melky: 13

Frazier: 28

Lawrie/Sanchez: 21

LaRoche/Avi: 26

Navarro/Avila: 14

Jackson: 6

Rollins/Saladino: 12

Total: 161

It's a big boost over last season, but in order for that 182 number to happen, we'd either need some breakouts or for Frazier and Abreu to hit above their projections.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
Composite projections from RotoChamp:

Eaton: 10

Abreu: 31

Melky: 13

Frazier: 28

Lawrie/Sanchez: 21

LaRoche/Avi: 26

Navarro/Avila: 14

Jackson: 6

Rollins/Saladino: 12

Total: 161

IMO - Frazier is low at 28 and the bench will account for at least 5 to 10 more.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
Last year, the White Sox had the worst offense in the AL by far, with 622 runs scored. (Next lowest was Seattle with 656 runs.) Hard to believe a team with that pathetic of an offense could win 76 games. The Sox were also last in HR at 136. I believe they were SO bad, that it turned the Cell from a plus HR field into a negative one!

Here's what it looked like last year.

1B Abreu 30

2B Sanchez/Johnson 5

SS Ramirez 10

3B Gillaspie/Beckham/Saladino/Olt 16

DH LaRoche 12

LF Melky 12

CF Eaton 14

RF Garcia 13

C Flowers/Soto 18

Bench - Shuck/Thompson/Bonafacio/Brantly 5

Total 136

This year I expect.

1B Abreu 35. Should be better with protection behind him.

2B Lawrie 18. Could go higher if he stays healthy.

SS Rollins/Saladino 16. Jimmy has hit more than that himself two years ago.

3B Frazier 35. This was his number last year, when he tailed off in the second half.

DH LaRoche/Garcia 20. Could go higher if LaRoche can stay healthy.

LF Melky 15. Should show some return to form after a horrid start to 2015.

CF Jackson 9. What he hit last year.

RF Eaton 14. What he hit last year.

Bench. Shuck 0. What he hit last year.

Total 182

That would put the Sox 6th in the AL based on last year's numbers.

(I wanted to put in a nice table, but I can't figure out how to do it here.)

I think you're right that there will be an increase, but it's never safe to project every player to match his career high. It's just never going to turn out that way.

I'd lop 15-20 homers off your total and feel like that's a modestly optimistic projection.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
IMO - Frazier is low at 28 and the bench will account for at least 5 to 10 more.

I feel like 30 is where he might end up. I'm cautiously optimistic about Frazier. He stumbled in the second half and he's coming into a new league.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
I feel like 30 is where he might end up. I'm cautiously optimistic about Frazier. He stumbled in the second half and he's coming into a new league.

He's been looking pretty good thus far. I know it's spring training and all, but he looks ready for the AL.

I would halve your SS estimate, and probably remove 10 off of Frazier.

My "could exceed" estimates from the projections are AJax getting 10 with a full season, Eaton's power being real at 15 hrs. But 162 sounds about right.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
I think you're right that there will be an increase, but it's never safe to project every player to match his career high. It's just never going to turn out that way.

I'd lop 15-20 homers off your total and feel like that's a modestly optimistic projection.

I didn't project career highs. I only looked at recent numbers.

The homerun totals for the team should be a boost vs last year but shouldn't be the major point for the sox making the playoffs. Pirates, royals and cards made the playoffs while ranking 23, 24, and 25 for homeruns in all of baseball. Issue is the Sox need to be scoring more runs overall. All AL teams that made the playoffs scored over 700 runs. Sox scored 622. Need to score alot more runs

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
The homerun totals for the team should be a boost vs last year but shouldn't be the major point for the sox making the playoffs. Pirates, royals and cards made the playoffs while ranking 23, 24, and 25 for homeruns in all of baseball. Issue is the Sox need to be scoring more runs overall. All AL teams that made the playoffs scored over 700 runs. Sox scored 622. Need to score alot more runs

i would agree with this. the White Sox couldn't get anyone on base last year, or when people were on base no one could drive them in. it was painful to watch.

hopefully we get some timely hitting this year and we can avoid another horrible start from guys like Eaton and Melky to start the season.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
i would agree with this. the White Sox couldn't get anyone on base last year, or when people were on base no one could drive them in. it was painful to watch.

hopefully we get some timely hitting this year and we can avoid another horrible start from guys like Eaton and Melky to start the season.

People that hit more home runs tend to hit more doubles. I realize that ideally we would want BOTH high OBP and power. But you said yourself "when they were on base no one could drive them in". Well especially in april/may/june, that was because it required 3 singles to get 1 run. We are talking about a likelihood of a 30 home run increase. At a minimum that is 30 more runs. Who knows how many games that wins with our pitching staff.

Those teams have good obp and contact rates. The sox were bad at contact, obp and power. We at least improved power and that will be a very big help.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)

Just because there were a few teams without power that succeeded recently doesn't mean that we shouldn't be focused on increasing power whenever the opportunity arises. There's a strong correlation between homeruns and runs scored, and homeruns and wins. One of the best ways to score more runs overall is to hit more homeruns.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
Just because there were a few teams without power that succeeded recently doesn't mean that we shouldn't be focused on increasing power whenever the opportunity arises. There's a strong correlation between homeruns and runs scored, and homeruns and wins. One of the best ways to score more runs overall is to hit more homeruns.

Our OBP really scares me. That is the main reason i wanted Fowler over Jackson and Desmond( if we went shortstop.) Eaton and Fowler 1-2 would have been deadly IMO. Jackson OBP has been sliding and Lowrie and Frazier have low OBP as well. Homers are great but if the last few World Series teams indicate its not a big deal. Eaton and Abrue are the only ones i have confidence in to have a good OBP. Just sayin

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)

Yes adding powers does go towards adding more runs but power isn't guaranteed there all the time. Need to be able to do other things as well. Better baserunning which definitely needs to improve from last year, working counts, getting guys on and then moving them over or bringing them in. Sox isn't built like a team with major power like the blue jays so they need other means of getting runs in. With a pitching staff they have they need to make it comfortable in games offensively otherwise you are worry all the time if they can score enough which adds alot of pressure.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)

White Sox play at US Cellular. They should be a HR hitting team to take advantage of that park. KC is a totally different ballpark. A HR heavy team wouldn't work there.

The Sox are not going to bash like the teams that hit more than 200 HR every year, but in our ballpark, HRs are important.

Edited by VAfan