White Sox HR totals should get a big boost this year

VAfan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VAfan @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
White play at US Cellular. They should be a HR hitting team to take advantage of that park. KC is a totally different ballpark. A HR heavy team wouldn't work there.

The Sox are not going to bash like the teams that hit more than 200 HR every year, but in our ballpark, HRs are important.

Yes but they also play away games so they will be playing in parks that aren't that homer friendly. Got to be able to score runs all around

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 05:47 PM)
Yes but they also play away games so they will be playing in parks that aren't that homer friendly. Got to be able to score runs all around

Most parks are band boxes. So pincer the Sox moved into their current home, I think they had one year they didn't hit a lot of home runs and were reasonably successful. Getting away from power would be a mistake.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)
Most parks are band boxes. So pincer the Sox moved into their current home, I think they had one year they didn't hit a lot of home runs and were reasonably successful. Getting away from power would be a mistake.

No one said to get away from power. I think the Sox could still be lacking more power and run producing. Key for them is getting into the 700 for runs scored

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 08:50 PM)
Remember 2006?

Power was fun.

That was a fun team until September when they stopped hitting but yea a lot of 10-6 victories that year. Looking at that B-Ref page for that team looks like they lost 8 of 9 in early September and that killed them. I remembered something like that happening so at least I'm not quite senile but it's hard to believe that was 9 f***ing years ago. Hell, I was still in college. Crazy.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 05:34 PM)
Pitching was bad which is what held us back and what I'm complaining about. Winning 90 games was definitely impressive.

Javier Vazquez really made me mad that year - and every year he was on the Sox.

2006 was on the pitchers for sure. Buehrle had a 5 ERA, Vazquez was horrible... they were all pretty bad.

Then, on the other hand, you get 16 HR/.295 BA from Pierzynski, .313/35/113 from Konerko, .281/18/67 from Iguchi, 21/71 from Uribe, .283/30/94 from Crede, 40 SB's from Podsednik, .315/44/120 from Dye, .288/42/109 from Thome, .285 in 304 PA from Cintron, .290 in 290 PA for Mackowiak, .328 in 203 PA for Ozuna, .327 in 167 PA for Gload... such a stacked team offensively, but horrible pitching. Reminds me of the 2015 Blue Jays, to some extent.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:46 AM)
2006 was on the pitchers for sure. Buehrle had a 5 ERA, Vazquez was horrible... they were all pretty bad.

Then, on the other hand, you get 16 HR/.295 BA from Pierzynski, .313/35/113 from Konerko, .281/18/67 from Iguchi, 21/71 from Uribe, .283/30/94 from Crede, 40 SB's from Podsednik, .315/44/120 from Dye, .288/42/109 from Thome, .285 in 304 PA from Cintron, .290 in 290 PA for Mackowiak, .328 in 203 PA for Ozuna, .327 in 167 PA for Gload... such a stacked team offensively, but horrible pitching. Reminds me of the 2015 Blue Jays, to some extent.

Imagine that offense with the current pitching staff.

Wow.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 07:17 PM)
90, 5 games behind Detroit for the WC. Would have been the 2nd WC had such a thing existed then.

Such a damn shame too. Not saying the sox would've won back to back, but they would've been a very tough out with their experience.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:46 AM)

How? The 2015 Blue Jays had very good pitching. They allowed the 5th fewest runs in the AL.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
How? The 2015 Blue Jays had very good pitching. They allowed the 5th fewest runs in the AL.

Aside from Price, their starters were horrible (like our 2006 starters) by non-ERA stats such as FIP. They heavily relied on offensive contributions from Donaldson, Encarnacion, Bautista, Tulowitzki, Revere, Martin, etc, like we relied on our offense in 06.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
Aside from Price, their starters were horrible (like our 2006 starters) by non-ERA stats such as FIP. They heavily relied on offensive contributions from Donaldson, Encarnacion, Bautista, Tulowitzki, Revere, Martin, etc, like we relied on our offense in 06.

FIP doesn't win ball games. Buehrle and Dickey are both guys that have significantly out pitched their FIP their entire careers. When you are talking about doing something consistently over 1000's of innings, I don't really care what the advanced stats say should have happened. At the end of the day the job of pitching and defense is to not give up runs. And the Blue Jays were the 5th best in the AL last year at doing that job. Their offense could have scored 100-150 less runs and they still would have had a shot at the playoffs. The pitching did their job.