Olt clears waivers, sent to Charlotte

southsider2k5

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
Oh yeah forgot Ishikawa. Plus he can DH a bit and get some time at third.

Yep. Olt will get ab's down in Charlotte. Injuries happen so who knows, the Sox might need to call Olt up for some RH power at some point. Heck, LaRoche is already riding the pine. :lol:

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
With Davidson there I can't imagine that's the case come April

Yeah, not all of Davidson, Olt, Ishikawa, Delmonico and Hayes will be there for two positions plus some DH time. A couple will be elsewhere or in BHAM, and I don't think any of the first three belong in AA. But Delmonico needs to be challenged or he becomes a 40-man add after the year, and Hayes looks ready for AAA (and age-wise he should be there). My guess is Olt is gone by April, not sure about what happens with the other four.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:03 AM)
Yeah, not all of Davidson, Olt, Ishikawa, Delmonico and Hayes will be there for two positions plus some DH time. A couple will be elsewhere or in BHAM, and I don't think any of the first three belong in AA. But Delmonico needs to be challenged or he becomes a 40-man add after the year, and Hayes looks ready for AAA (and age-wise he should be there). My guess is Olt is gone by April, not sure about what happens with the other four.

For the sake of filling out a lineup, Olt I guess could go to AA to DH of backup 1B/3B.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)
Since Olt already went through waivers, any team would have been able to claim him for free.

With that in mind, I highly doubt any team would want to trade for him.

They also would have had to give him a spot on the 40 man roster. Huge difference. See what he does this spring. A team may have an injury, his value may rise. It was only 3 years ago the guy was a top 25 prospect.

Since Olt already went through waivers, any team would have been able to claim him for free.

With that in mind, I highly doubt any team would want to trade for him.

They would have had to put him on the 40 to claim him. Now they could trade for him without having to put him on the 40. Huge difference.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
For the sake of filling out a lineup, Olt I guess could go to AA to DH of backup 1B/3B.

If he has to go to AA as a bench guy, there is no point keeping him in the org.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
Find an organization that has a backlog of AAA outfielders and trade Olt there.

The team doesn't really need that either though. May, Coats, Sands, Fields and even Ishikawa is more than enough. And I wouldn't want to see anyone take time away from May and Coats, and probably even Sands.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:03 AM)

Delmonico is the obvious one to start at AA. He didn't even play a full season at Birmingham, and in that time he couldn't even put up a .700 OPS.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)
They would have had to put him on the 40 to claim him. Now they could trade for him without having to put him on the 40. Huge difference.

Not really. I could see a minor league for "cash" or future considerations deal, but that is it. We will literally get nothing for Olt at this point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)
Not really. I could see a minor league for "cash" or future considerations deal, but that is it. We will literally get nothing for Olt at this point.

If teams didn't have to give Olt a 40 man spot and potentially remove someone from their roster, there is no question he would have been claimed. If and when the Sox release him, he will have no problem finding a minor league contract with another team. I do agree, they won't get anything of substance for him, but I am sure a team wouldn't mind him stashed away in AAA just in case he figures something out. He can hit the ball a mile.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:59 AM)
If teams didn't have to give Olt a 40 man spot and potentially remove someone from their roster, there is no question he would have been claimed. If and when the Sox release him, he will have no problem finding a minor league contract with another team. I do agree, they won't get anything of substance for him, but I am sure a team wouldn't mind him stashed away in AAA just in case he figures something out. He can hit the ball a mile.

Put him on a AAA roster, sure. Pay something to get him? No way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:59 AM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
Put him on a AAA roster, sure. Pay something to get him? No way.

I'm pretty sure you guys completely agree on Mike Olt. I do too. Hitting is not easy. Some guys with all the tools figure it out later, some never do. The thing the "rebuilding" teams do is to stock up on these sorts of talents because they can change a franchise. The middle of the Blue Jays order is filled with those guys (Donaldson got his start in Oakland, but the point remains).

I think finding a spot for Olt is more important than finding a spot for Travis f'ing Ishikawa.

Ugh. I was playing last year's MLB The Show on PS4 this weekend against my brother who's a Cubs fan. With rosters from the end of the year... so Olt was my 3B. He was terrible, my brother just kept hitting balls to third that Olt wouldn't reach. This may have been partially due to alcoholic consumption, but I smiled when I read Olt was DFA'd because I was cursing the s*** out of him because video games.

:drink

Oh, yea, game ended when I just started throwing at all his batters in the 6th inning. Good times. Thanks, Olt.

:cheers