Spring training 3/8: brewers vs White Sox 2:05 start

Whisox05

Break out all of the cliches:

Where were these bats last year?

Save something for the regular season.

That's what I'm talking' about.

I'm drinking the Sox "Kool Aid"

It's not what you hit, it's when you hit it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
Another hit for Carlos Sanchez. He's got value, even if it isn't with the Sox long term.

It could be long term since Lawrie is only just a 2 year player until he proves he can stay healthy and field his position and even if he does that free agency will beckon while Sanchez has time to blossom.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
I know it's spring training and all this means nothing, but this is damn fun.

Oh, I think it means something. A lot better than the alternative. Now we need to see it continue throughout the spring.

It could mean nothing. Ultimately it's a tiny sample size, in exhibition games, with a lot of players on either team who won't be in the majors.

It could also foreshadow a better start to the season. The last two seasons the Sox wallowed through March and then came out of the gate slow. The fluff pieces this year have all mentioned a focus on having the players ready. Maybe they're not lying.

The stats mean virtually nothing because of the sample size and the fact that everyone is just getting warmed up, but new pitches/new approaches I think definitely mean something. Stuff like Turner hitting 94 MPH is notable too.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
It could mean nothing. Ultimately it's a tiny sample size, in exhibition games, with a lot of players on either team who won't be in the majors.

It could also foreshadow a better start to the season. The last two seasons the Sox wallowed through March and then came out of the gate slow. The fluff pieces this year have all mentioned a focus on having the players ready. Maybe they're not lying.

IIRC, we've usually sucked in ST. Then that translated to bad starts in April. Hopefully this year is different.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
IIRC, we've usually sucked in ST. Then that translated to bad starts in April. Hopefully this year is different.

Since 2003 we've had a winning record twice ('03 and '04) and were .500 once (2013). Outside of those three seasons the Sox have been mostly brutal record-wise. 2 of the worst ST records came in '06 and '08, so it probably won't matter, but it's nice to see regardless.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
It gets misused a lot. And really, over 300 kids died. Maybe it shouldn't be reduced to sports joke.

I had to google it. Presume I knew that it meant drinking the kool aid and somehow that got turned into a figure of speach from the drink. Did not know the genesis was the jonestown deaths.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
Since 2003 we've had a winning record twice ('03 and '04) and were .500 once (2013). Outside of those three seasons the Sox have been mostly brutal record-wise. 2 of the worst ST records came in '06 and '08, so it probably won't matter, but it's nice to see regardless.

I was listening to Bowden on my drive in this morning and I thought he summed spring up perfectly. Early on, records don't matter, as you get into the middle of spring, they become a bit more important, but the key is you don't want a brutal spring. A great spring, who cares, nothing to get overly excited about, but a bad spring, that can overhang. Be at or slightly above .500 and that is perfect heading into the season. Bottom line, you should only worry if you have an awful start.

That said, I remember watching the 05 Sox in spring and they are just brutal during the stretch of games I watched (not sure where they finished) but poor fundamentals, etc. Right now, with regulars playing so little, any result is relatively meaningless, that said, I think wins and positive starts in general, juts help from the "mental" perspective. Everything resets once the season starts and it to me, again becomes important to get off to that good start. More so when you are a team who has opened out of the gates poorly that past few seasons (as it gets the head going...not again).

Good start will be key for this club, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
I was listening to Bowden on my drive in this morning and I thought he summed spring up perfectly. Early on, records don't matter, as you get into the middle of spring, they become a bit more important, but the key is you don't want a brutal spring. A great spring, who cares, nothing to get overly excited about, but a bad spring, that can overhang. Be at or slightly above .500 and that is perfect heading into the season. Bottom line, you should only worry if you have an awful start.

That said, I remember watching the 05 Sox in spring and they are just brutal during the stretch of games I watched (not sure where they finished) but poor fundamentals, etc. Right now, with regulars playing so little, any result is relatively meaningless, that said, I think wins and positive starts in general, juts help from the "mental" perspective. Everything resets once the season starts and it to me, again becomes important to get off to that good start. More so when you are a team who has opened out of the gates poorly that past few seasons (as it gets the head going...not again).

Good start will be key for this club, imo.

i don't really care if they win or lose these ST games, it's just nice to see some hits and runs coming from up and down the roster.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 04:29 PM)
i don't really care if they win or lose these ST games, it's just nice to see some hits and runs coming from up and down the roster.

When it's all and said and done of course the wins and losses don't really matter. Who but the geekiest of geeks remembers spring training records? But, winning creates a much better atmosphere in the clubhouse than does losing so I prefer they win more than they lose.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
Love what little I've seen of Avi this spring. Looks like a man on mission.

People are going to be wanting to see more Avi over Jackson this season.

ST record is utterly meaningless.

Last year, the ST record was bad...but the team and manager seemed bored with ST, so they probably didn't get the benefit out of it they should have. This year, there should be a lot to keep them busy.