Bryce Harper speaks truth about baseball's unwritten rules

knightni

“Jose Fernandez is a great example. Jose Fernandez will strike you out and stare you down into the dugout and pump his fist. And if you hit a homer and pimp it? He doesn’t care. Because you got him. That’s part of the game.

The problem is that so may people DO care and will drill you, young or old. if the guy is that expressive as a pitcher when he does well, you can bet he most likely won't be happy with you 'showing him up' when you drill one to left.

To me, there's never been a suppression of genuine emotion when the time is right. Hit a walkoff hit? Go crazy. Clinch a playoff spot? Pile on the mound.

It's a cliche at this point, but baseball is a game of failure played almost every day for six months. If you're blowing your wad emotionally every time something good happens, it loses its appeal.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
To me, there's never been a suppression of genuine emotion when the time is right. Hit a walkoff hit? Go crazy. Clinch a playoff spot? Pile on the mound.

It's a cliche at this point, but baseball is a game of failure played almost every day for six months. If you're blowing your wad emotionally every time something good happens, it loses its appeal.

I agree, there's plenty of expressed emotion in the game already. Bautista's batflip against the Rangers wouldn't have been nearly as cool if he did something like that after every HR he hit.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)

This is how I feel about it as well. Hit a bomb with the game on the line, go ahead and stare a bit and enjoy the HR shot for all its majesty. But starting at a HR shot in a game that's a route has far less luster. Same for pitchers, I'm all for pitchers showing some emotion after a big K in a tight situation but otherwise it seems pointless. For me, there's a time and place.

I do like Harper's POV on the subject but not every player see's things his way. Still plenty of players that let their emotions get the best of them which leads to more hit batters, HR stares and bat flips.

I absolutely loved Fernandez's emotions in this particular game. That guy has some flare, no doubt about it. :lol:

https://youtu.be/sc9vMv4e-Vw

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
“Jose Fernandez is a great example. Jose Fernandez will strike you out and stare you down into the dugout and pump his fist. And if you hit a homer and pimp it? He doesn’t care. Because you got him. That’s part of the game.

The problem is that so may people DO care and will drill you, young or old. if the guy is that expressive as a pitcher when he does well, you can bet he most likely won't be happy with you 'showing him up' when you drill one to left.

m5bdjws6sisgzalagmxl.gif

"It was fun. It was nothing like he was mad at me. We have a really good relationship," Gonzalez said. "When he gets you out, he lets you know. So why not do the same thing when you get him?"

After Fernandez exited the game comfortably ahead — he worked six innings and tied the Marlins' opening day mark with nine strikeouts — the right-hander yelled good-natured barbs at Gonzalez from the dugout.

"He's a good kid," said Gonzalez of his all-star teammate last season. "He has passion for the game and shows it."

Just like a lot of things these days, it automatically becomes a polarized topic, when it should be more toward the middle.

I think Gossage is way over the top with his comments, and I think Harper wants a pass to act like the jerk he probably is.

At the end of the day, don't be a dick.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
There is a line of sportsmanship that shouldn't be crossed. Baseball has stayed too far away from that line, but I also don't want choreographed homerun celebrations.

Baseball hasnt even approached choreographed homerun celebrations. They cant even get past spur of the moment excitement from hitting homeruns

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
This is how I feel about it as well. Hit a bomb with the game on the line, go ahead and stare a bit and enjoy the HR shot for all its majesty. But starting at a HR shot in a game that's a route has far less luster. Same for pitchers, I'm all for pitchers showing some emotion after a big K in a tight situation but otherwise it seems pointless. For me, there's a time and place.

I do like Harper's POV on the subject but not every player see's things his way. Still plenty of players that let their emotions get the best of them which leads to more hit batters, HR stares and bat flips.

I absolutely loved Fernandez's emotions in this particular game. That guy has some flare, no doubt about it. :lol:

https://youtu.be/sc9vMv4e-Vw

I'm with you. Somewhere in the middle. For every Bautista bat flip which I thought was awesome, there is a Grant Balfour type BS thing that really pisses me off. The timing is everything. Being excited about a big hit late in the game that ties it up or gives you a lead, how can someone have a problem with that? Acting like a moron rounding the bases after flipping the bat hitting a HR that makes the score 12-2? That's just dumb.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
I'm with you. Somewhere in the middle. For every Bautista bat flip which I thought was awesome, there is a Grant Balfour type BS thing that really pisses me off. The timing is everything. Being excited about a big hit late in the game that ties it up or gives you a lead, how can someone have a problem with that? Acting like a moron rounding the bases after flipping the bat hitting a HR that makes the score 12-2? That's just dumb.

The thing about Balfour is that he cant take it when he loses the battle. So many times he has gotten into it with players when they beat him, and thats just bush league. If you are gonna get all pumped up and talk smack when you win, then you need to suck it up and accept it when you lose.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)

Oh man, Balfour is the epitome of being excessive. Never did like his BS. Same goes for Papelbon too, can't stand the prick.

I hate to admit it because I have always been a fan of his but Bonds HR pose/stare at the plate after every HR used to get on my nerves. I remember on one occasion he got a hold of one, stared at it, began a slow trot to 1B and the ball bounced of the wall and stayed in the park. Bonds ended up with a single on what should have been an easy double. Which brings me to the point, if a hitter is going to watch his HR shot, he better make sure he REALLY got a hold it or he's going to look like an ass. :lol:

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
The thing about Balfour is that he cant take it when he loses the battle. So many times he has gotten into it with players when they beat him, and thats just bush league. If you are gonna get all pumped up and talk smack when you win, then you need to suck it up and accept it when you lose.

Exactly. If a player wants to dish it out, they better be able to take it. Pretty much like Jose Fernandez did when CarGo launched off of him, laugh it off.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
Bryce is so right and the league of old men can just go away please.

He's only right if you take the good with the bad. If you celebrate the HR don't pout and leave when a reporter grills you when you strike out to lose a playoff game.

This is the Cam Newton test. Are you a jerk or "a guy who likes to have fun?" If you celebrate when you are winning stand up and take it when you lose.

Unfortunately, most players fall under the latter category and this is what makes them look bad and reveal they are just showing up the other team and not "enjoying the game."

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
He's only right if you take the good with the bad. If you celebrate the HR don't pout and leave when a reporter grills you when you strike out to lose a playoff game.

This is the Cam Newton test. Are you a jerk or "a guy who likes to have fun?" If you celebrate when you are winning stand up and take it when you lose.

Unfortunately, most players fall under the latter category and this is what makes them look bad and reveal they are just showing up the other team and not "enjoying the game."

That is a clown question bro.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 07:30 PM)
This dude is a nut job.

old-man-cloud.0.jpg

Math is bad. Bunting is great. Throwing at peoples heads is fine. Managers need to kick dirt at home plate. Computers bad. You cant run over people anymore. Pitch counts are evil.

Edited by southsideirish71