One Thing on Brett Lawrie

hi8is

I am so flipping glad to see Lawrie wearing number 15. His fire and dirtbag style of play is such a refreshing sight after seeing a pretty boy soft serve variety named Gordon Beckham.

Even if Lawrie sucks - at least he'll be passionately pissed off while doing so.

That said, I've got tall expectations for him at the dish this year and think he'll be a great pickup.

;)

It's funny you mention Lawrie.... I was just alerted by my Facebook that I have "memories" from this date 4 years ago when I got to visit with a bunch of MLB teams with my press pass. One of the teams that granted us the most access was the Blue Jays, and I apparently took a few pics of Lawrie, because he was then a hot prospect.

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hpho...amp;oe=575C16F3

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hpho...amp;oe=57539843

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hpho...amp;oe=57623E3C

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 12:34 AM)
I am so flipping glad to see Lawrie wearing number 15. His fire and dirtbag style of play is such a refreshing sight after seeing a pretty boy soft serve variety named Gordon Beckham.

Even if Lawrie sucks - at least he'll be passionately pissed off while doing so.

That said, I've got tall expectations for him at the dish this year and think he'll be a great pickup.

;)

I think health will always be the key for him, the talent is there.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:03 AM)
Whole lotta weord bat wiggle & hitch in that HR video. I just hope he doesn't suck worse than Beckham.

He's quite literally been better than Beckham his entire career

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
One more thing on Brett Lawrie.

His surname is pronounced like the name "Laurie," now "Lowry."

This confusion alone is enough to make me regret signing him; I hear people getting it wrong more often than not. Hopefully once the game broadcasts start up this'll be rectified?

Thank you! I've been saying it correctly but cringe when people pronounce his name "Law-ree" or the other way you gave.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:03 AM)
Whole lotta weord bat wiggle & hitch in that HR video. I just hope he doesn't suck worse than Beckham.

Yep. It's obnoxious to hit with in MLB the show to the point where I edited the hitch out of his stance lol the game gave him an overaggerated version to the point where you can't see the ball out of the pitchers hand because the bat is blocking the players view.

Edited by soxfan2014

;)

Amen! Brett Lawrie. :wub:

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
Lawrie has that "swag" in his playing style that I think the Sox needed.

I'm expecting a big season from him.

He definitely has an attitude about him that I really like and think was needed for this team. Plus, he's a thorn in the side of the Royals which makes the Lawrie trade that much sweeter for me.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:26 AM)
Amen! Brett Lawrie. :wub:

He definitely has an attitude about him that I really like and think was needed for this team. Plus, he's a thorn in the side of the Royals which makes the Lawrie trade that much sweeter for me.

Someone had to replace Samardzija haha

;)

He's rocking 15?!! Shhhhiiii. I had a '59 sox jersey I bought beckhams rookie year but with no name purposely. Was hoping it'd be a Fulmer jersey come June! Now it's Lawrie.. Bummer. Chances he gives it up to the rook?

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)
He's rocking 15?!! Shhhhiiii. I had a '59 sox jersey I bought beckhams rookie year but with no name purposely. Was hoping it'd be a Fulmer jersey come June! Now it's Lawrie.. Bummer. Chances he gives it up to the rook?

No. Right now the only regular baseball number not assigned to anyone is 51.

The Sox have 15 numbers they don't assign. Kind of ridiculous it's that many, but whatever.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)
Thank you! I've been saying it correctly but cringe when people pronounce his name "Law-ree" or the other way you gave.

When the Sox acquired Ozzie, Tony Kubek made a big deal out of pronouncing his last name which supposedly is properly pronounced Geejen. They asked Ozzie about it and he said he didn't care how anyone pronounced it as long as it was spelled correctly on his paychecks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
When the Sox acquired Ozzie, Tony Kubek made a big deal out of pronouncing his last name which supposedly is properly pronounced Geejen. They asked Ozzie about it and he said he didn't care how anyone pronounced it as long as it was spelled correctly on his paychecks.

Alexei was here for like year before he finally said that his name was pronounced Al-I-SAY, not Al-ex-A

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:39 AM)
No. Right now the only regular baseball number not assigned to anyone is 51.

The Sox have 15 numbers they don't assign. Kind of ridiculous it's that many, but whatever.

2 - Fox

3 - Baines

4 - Appling

6 - Lau (unassigned)

9 - Minoso

11 - Aparicio

13 - Guillen (maybe uassigned?)

14 - Konerko

16 - Lyons

19 - Pierce

35 - Thomas

42 - Robinson

56 - Buehrle (unassigned)

72 - Fisk

So I've got 13 or 14 if you count Ozzie, what am I missing?

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:55 AM)
69. It's silly, but they don't hand that one out in spring training.

Personally I think not assigning Charley Lau's #6 is pretty dumb. I get it, the guy died when he was your hitting coach so go ahead and leave it unassigned for a year or two, but it's been over 30 years. Time to move on.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 06:01 AM)

This confusion alone is enough to make me regret signing him; I hear people getting it wrong more often than not. Hopefully once the game broadcasts start up this'll be rectified?

Even more confusion since you probably meant to say NOT Lowry instead of NOW Lowry .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
Even more confusion since you probably meant to say NOT Lowry instead of NOW Lowry .

Plus, Lawrie was traded for, not signed. ;)

Personally, I could care less how others pronounce Lawrie's name, what really matters is how Lawrie plays on the field.

I'm really curious to see if any grudges are held over from last season between Lawrie and Yordano Ventura/Royals.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)

Hopefully Brett rectifies the pronunciation of his name to conform with the English language instead of going around and correcting everybody his entire life.

QUOTE (JoeCredeYes @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
Hopefully Brett rectifies the pronunciation of his name to conform with the English language instead of going around and correcting everybody his entire life.

meh...I like to pronounce it like Martin Lawrence calls his partner in the first Bad Boys...Brett "LOWWWREY"..I don't give a s*** how anybody else pronounces it.

;)

Agreed. Win or lose. Good or bad. I think we have all had enough of a team of walking funeral parlors.

LOOKING forward to HOPEFULLY a REAL exciting year