2016 Elections thread

Brian

So I found out one of my neighbors who is running for local office is one of the lazy assholes who doesn't pick up after his dog. Guess who's not getting my vote tomorrow.

Dog Crapgate?

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
So I found out one of my neighbors who is running for local office is one of the lazy assholes who doesn't pick up after his dog. Guess who's not getting my vote tomorrow.

Dog Crapgate?

Reminds of that episode on Billions.

Indiana doesn't vote until May, but there is a school board member who pled guilty to a shoplifing felony and a county commissioner who pled guilty to DUI. Neither resigned and both are running for reelection. I won't be voting for either.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
My name will be on my first ballot in April running for village board in my booming town of 1000 people. Pretty exciting stuff.

It is a really cool moment the first time you see your name on a ballot like that. Good luck.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
My name will be on my first ballot in April running for village board in my booming town of 1000 people. Pretty exciting stuff.

What is your stance on picking up after your dog on public property?

Seriously. Is there a legitimate reason for having all these staggered dates?

I don't mind having the primaries spread out over a few months. I think you end up with a better candidate than if you do them all at once. I wouldn't mind seeing them all clustered on 2-3 different days per month rather than the 5-6 we have now, but I'm really OK with taking 4-5 months to get a candidate. It just seems a lot worse this time because campaigns started 6+ months before the first voting.

I'm not talking about the primaries I'm talking about the local and state elections.

Oh, in Indiana the primary is the same day for both parties for all offices from President all the way down to county commissioner. I didn't realize it's not that way in other states.

No matter who you're voting for, vote today. Or else you don't have a right complain.

It would be illegal for me to vote today (though it wouldn't shock me to discover that I'm still on the rolls despite not living in Illinois for 11 years).

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
It would be illegal for me to vote today (though it wouldn't shock me to discover that I'm still on the rolls despite not living in Illinois for 11 years).

If you're state is holding a primary, vote. Better?

Can't wait to vote against guy who doesn't pick up dog sh*t.

Trump wins Northern Mariana Islands. With 73%, he takes all I delegates. Good start to super duper Tuesday for him. Needs 256 delegates to stay on track today. I had him with:

Florida: 99 delegates

North Carolina: 31

Illinois: 45

Missouri: 31

N. Mariana: 0

Ohio: 0

That's 206. So 215 now. Didn't have him winning in Mariana. Didn't realize it was all military, so that's why he crushed there for their few delegates.

Trump wins Northern Mariana Islands. With 73%, he takes all I delegates. Good start to super duper Tuesday for him. Needs 256 delegates to stay on track today. I had him with:

Florida: 99 delegates

North Carolina: 31

Illinois: 45

Missouri: 31

N. Mariana: 0

Ohio: 0

That's 206. So 215 now. Didn't have him winning in Mariana. Didn't realize it was all military, so that's why he crushed there for their few delegates.

The head of the territory's party organization had been working for Carson's campaign so once Carson endorsed Trump, that was pretty much a lock for him.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
I'm not quite sure I understand the logic in allowing US territories to vote in the primaries but not in the general election.

It's because the electoral college, for both Presidential and representational purposes, is built around the states. For good or bad, that's where it comes from. Territories are separate and don't get the same rights.

My personal view is that at this point, the Presidential election should be a straight national vote, since that is the way to equally franchise everyone. As it stands now, the only votes that matter are in a small handful of states in any given cycle.

But for Congress it gets more complicated. The Senate is definitely a state-based concept, and so is at least single representative from each state. But beyond that, there is probably some way for non-state US citizens to get representation in Congress, however there is no clean or easy way to do it. I'd like to see it happen, I'm just not sure exactly how.

• 1 month later...

I just came across this resource. They're aggregating all of the state-level GE polls to come up with Electoral Vote projects. Still fairly early for GE polls at this point, but should be a useful site going forward:

http://www.electionprojection.com/presidential-elections.php

You can scroll down to see the "state of the states" chart and then click through to the polls for each state.

edit: noticed a weird glitch in the forum software. HH's financial thread post is more recent than mine in this sub-forum, but on the main page this post was shown as "most recent" for SLaM

Edited by StrangeSox