2016 Elections thread

Brian

GOP Quickly Unifies Around Trump; Clinton Still Has Modest Lead

So much for the fractured GOP.

Clinton leads Trump 78-9 among Democrats in the full field at this point, while Trump leads Clinton 78-7 among Republicans. Although much has been made of disunity in the GOP, it is actually just as unified behind Trump as the Democrats are behind Clinton. 72% of Republicans now say they're comfortable with Trump as their nominee to only 21% who they aren't. Those numbers are little different from the ones among Democrats that find 75% of them would be comfortable with Clinton as their nominee to 21% who say they would not be.

On Trump supporters:

There's been a lot of recent coverage of Donald Trump's embrace of various conspiracy theories, so we asked about a bunch of them on this poll to see which ones his supporters believe and which ones even they say are a bridge too far. Among voters with a favorable opinion of Trump:

-65% think President Obama is a Muslim, only 13% think he's a Christian.

-59% think President Obama was not born in the United States, only 23% think that he was.

-27% think vaccines cause autism, 45% don't think they do, another 29% are not sure.

-24% think Antonin Scalia was murdered, just 42% think he died naturally, another 34% are unsure.

-7% think Ted Cruz's father was involved in the assassination of JFK, 55% think he was not involved, another 38% are unsure.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
GOP Quickly Unifies Around Trump; Clinton Still Has Modest Lead

So much for the fractured GOP.

On Trump supporters:

While I am no fan of Trump, let's not act like his supporters are the only nut jobs supporting stupid conspiracy theories. A whole bunch of left wing democrats believe Bush was at the very least complicit in 9/11

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 11, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)
While I am no fan of Trump, let's not act like his supporters are the only nut jobs supporting stupid conspiracy theories. A whole bunch of left wing democrats believe Bush was at the very least complicit in 9/11

A whole bunch? I would bet it was less than 1%.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 11, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
A whole bunch? I would bet it was less than 1%.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/ben-smith/20...ush-knew-035224

"How likely is it that people in the federal government either assisted in the 9/11 attacks or took no action to stop the attacks because they wanted the United States to go to war in the Middle East?" the poll asked.

A full 22.6% of Democrats said it was "very likely." Another 28.2% called it "somewhat likely."

That is: More than half of Democrats, according to a neutral survey, said they believed Bush was complicit in the 9/11 terror attacks.