Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

Colleen Kane ‏@ChiTribKane 3m3 minutes ago

Adam LaRoche has told White Sox he plans to step away from baseball. Teammates asked him to sleep on it, but he's confident in decision.

Colleen Kane ‏@ChiTribKane 2m2 minutes ago

Adam LaRoche said it's a personal issue. Out of respect for team, he will consider request before talking on subject in a couple of days.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
Wow.

First reaction is I hope he and his family are OK.

Second reaction is we have $13M to spend.

Ditto.

Also, inb4 "Wish he had done this while we were trying to sign high-end outfielders." Sounds like it's a sudden issue though. Wish him the best.

Wow.

Agreed. Wow. Hopefully the guy is OK, but this is a nice break for a team that could use the cash. I wonder if this was talked about before, which is why the Bruce stuff was being talked about.

This also has to create some excitement for those looking for a job at the bottom of the roster. A guy like Jerry Sands might have just had a door open if it is too late for a deal to be made.

Doubt many will agree with me but unless we do something.. this hurts us. He was an OBP bounceback candidate for us. He had a more reasonable bounceback possibility than Garcia, who has no track record (vs righties) to bounce back to, really

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
Wow. This is a shock. I hope everything is okay with him.

Now what do the Sox do? I wonder if the front office has known about this possibility for a while,

Well, from a baseball perspective, Avi Garcia/Melky Cabrera just penciled in as your everyday DH. Austin Jackson signing just became very important as he's now penciled in as a starter.

Wow.

All this, and it does make roster construction and defense a lot better.

Wish him well.

Whoa, quite the shock there.

We obviously haven't had the best of luck when it comes to LH power bats over the past few years, and it was a shame he wasn't able to re-produce what he'd done in Washington last season, but maybe in the coming days this might explain part of it.

I assume his contract goes off our payroll now. Interesting to see whether we just go with Garcia or Melky as the DH now, or we try to bring in a LH replacement, as it's been said, Alvarez would have been nice but that ship has sailed.