Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‎@BNightengale

Be interesting to see if #WhiteSox pay Adam LaRoche a portion of salary; The Mets are paying Michael Cuddyer $3.5 million upon retirement.

well i have been thinking of a under the table buy out between the sox and laroche. so this stands as a good idea so to speak. since the sox was willing to pay, what 5-8 mil in any trade with laroche going, as a salary help, i am sure they would be paying something.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)
I definitely would not complain about signing Morneau but the big question is would he want to sign with the Sox. I'm on the fence and can see both sides to the discussion of, would he or would he not. I really have no idea.

I would kind of prefer to look into trading for a higher salaried pitcher to stick in the back of the rotation. A James Shields' type without the James Shields' salary. ;)

Where would this guy pitch though? At Charlotte? They don't have a spot. Latos and Danks are the #4 and #5.

i saw several post of saving money and how it can help in making a trade for some more help.

so if i understand this, the sox are saving some money, in order to help fix this team via a trade. in other words adding to the salary b/c now the team salary is 13 mil lighter???

this really doesn't make any sense ..... the team should be looking to fix the team in any way.

but i will go along with this thought process.

QUOTE (Real @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
will laroche give back a portion of his salary from last year?

gtfo.

never thought of this that way,

but the owners are always looking for a way to improve their image, so offering him some money will be the way to go.

They should have some money to play with. If they can make the team better now, that's less they have to do at the deadline, or may be a reason they have to do something at the deadline. It would be interesting to know what was available and at what price. Acting now may mean you don't have the funds to go after someone later. But a $13 million gift right before the season starts has to be huge to the White Sox, especially if LaRoche's heart and/or body weren't into it. I thought he was a decent bet to bounce back, but if he doesn't........

I know one thing, White Sox fans won't let RH, KW or JR forget they should have some money to play with.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
Considering the White Sox front office seemed surprised by this decision and were among the people trying to get him to reconsider, I doubt they offered him a buyout to go away.

i can see your point but i am in the group of those who is thinking on the skepticism on this idea, of the team not knowing.

the only way i may change my opinion if someone in the sox FO or laroche camp admits to it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
Where would this guy pitch though? At Charlotte? They don't have a spot. Latos and Danks are the #4 and #5.

I'm fine with the idea of going with Latos and having Johnson/Turner as his replacement if Latos has an injury or just needs a day off but it's Danks I'm really talking about replacing. If a trade was made during ST, Danks could go to the pen. If the move is made in June/July, Danks could be either go to the pen or be released all together.

In the end, I do realize it's probably a pipe dream because the Sox likely give Danks the benefit of the doubt and go into the season with him as the #4. I'm really not trying to bash the guy but he is what he is and IMHO, he isn't good enough for a team looking to contend in a tough ALC.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
They should have some money to play with. If they can make the team better now, that's less they have to do at the deadline, or may be a reason they have to do something at the deadline. It would be interesting to know what was available and at what price. Acting now may mean you don't have the funds to go after someone later. But a $13 million gift right before the season starts has to be huge to the White Sox, especially if LaRoche's heart and/or body weren't into it. I thought he was a decent bet to bounce back, but if he doesn't........

I know one thing, White Sox fans won't let RH, KW or JR forget they should have some money to play with.

ref the bold, i will be in that group.

but with the rest, i agree 100%. i can see the sox waiting until the time is right, per hahn opinion to make a trade for a salary dump on the other team. like cincy and or dodgers.

also wait for ST to be over when team has players being beaten out from surprise in camp. they will or may want to dump that player as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:37 AM)
Considering the White Sox front office seemed surprised by this decision and were among the people trying to get him to reconsider, I doubt they offered him a buyout to go away.

I think the opposite. They have always been a pretty solid organization to their players. The one I remember was the Sox keeping the contract offer on the table to Maggs when he tore up his knee before that whole mess happened.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)

Agreed with all this. I was just looking around to see if there was any reasonable mid-high salary pitchers available to bolster the back of the rotation and all I could come up with was Shields, Cashner and Garza. Ick! That said, holding onto the money and seeing where the team stands come June/July would go a long way towards making the team better when more players are available.

Thing is, will Sox fans be patient enough now that the Sox have a few extra bucks to play with or will this turn into another " Sox are f***ing cheap" thread? Fans need to realise that just because a few bucks has opened up doesn't mean it must be spent right away.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
i can see your point but i am in the group of those who is thinking on the skepticism on this idea, of the team not knowing.

the only way i may change my opinion if someone in the sox FO or laroche camp admits to it.

Rick Hahn already said they didn't expect it. So have all the beat guys. This isn't some grand conspiracy. I'm not really sure what you are talking about.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
Agreed with all this. I was just looking around to see if there was any reasonable mid-high salary pitchers available to bolster the back of the rotation and all I could come up with was Shields, Cashner and Garza. Ick! That said, holding onto the money and seeing where the team stands come June/July would go a long way towards making the team better when more players are available.

Thing is, will Sox fans be patient enough now that the Sox have a few extra bucks to play with or will this turn into another " Sox are f***ing cheap" thread? Fans need to realise that just because a few bucks has opened up doesn't mean it must be spent right away.

:o

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
Rick Hahn already said they didn't expect it. So have all the beat guys. This isn't some grand conspiracy. I'm not really sure what you are talking about.

It makes zero sense to think the team knew it had a bunch more money to spend, AND another position to fill, and did neither. You would have to assume that Rick Hahn is either stupid or negligent for that to be true.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
It's interesting, I talked to Nick Capra 20 minutes after the news broke and reiterated over and over again, "It's not official yet." It's obvious that LaRoche is checking out so I would assume Capra was referring to the process of voiding the contract.

There's precedent on both sides:

Gil Meche retired just prior to ST and forfeited 12 million. He didn't get a buyout and said, "I am not taking money I didn't earn."

Keith Foulke forfeited a 5 million dollar contract after reporting to camp and made comments similar to Meche's. No buyout.

Dempster forfeited 10+ million but he retired in the fall and had no buyout.

Cuddyer is the only one who had a buyout to my knowledge. He got 3.5 million of the 13(ish?) he was owed.

The only position the team can take is that "it is not official" because until LaRoche files the paperwork for retirement, he is still an employee of the White Sox, no matter what he has to say, and no matter who he tells it to. I would imagine it is like tampering for Sox management and ownership.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 05:52 AM)
I don't really understand the Morneau talk. As I see it, with LaRoche gone, the Sox now have four outfielders fighting for three starting spots, plus the DH position, and that's not counting whoever makes the team as the fourth outfielder (Shuck or Sands).

So that would be Jackson in CF, Eaton in RF/LF and either Cabrera or Garcia in RF/LF with the other acting as the team's primary DH. Unless Avi gets moved, where would Morneau fit on the roster?

DH against RHP, something Avi isn't very good at.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)
Bob Nightengale ‎@BNightengale

Be interesting to see if #WhiteSox pay Adam LaRoche a portion of salary; The Mets are paying Michael Cuddyer $3.5 million upon retirement.

I feel like Rick wouldn't have acted as surprised if this was the case. He seemed sincerely unaware that LaRoche was contemplating retirement.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)

and in my defense, hahn waited until last week to move on a ajck, while saying they were some what done.

so isn't the grand conspiracy per se but the sox knowingly keep things quite, and with the understanding that Avi can handle the dh job if necessary. not spending the money that may be saved.