Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

This has gotta be the most ridiculous reasons to ever walk away from $13M. KW and the Sox are in the right here. No one should ever bring their kid 100% of the time to work with them. Adam is there to play baseball and help the Sox win games, not take some of that focus away and redirected towards his kid or change the clubhouse atmosphere. It would have been a problem down the road with other players as well. You simply cannot make exceptions for one guy and have to draw the line somewhere. Sounds like LaRoche took this the wrong way and was refusing to compromise.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
Adam Laroche really seems like he's likely an annoying guy....die-hard hunter, country, Duck Dynasty, holy roller, etc......a guy like this doesn't see things rationally, like a suggestion from your boss to not bring your kid to work everyday isn't seen as a reasonable request but rather an assault on FAMILY VALUES! As with most people who feel that life is one big, emotional country ballad about god, guns, and family, Adam feels that taking this brave stand is standing up for 'Murica. Just look at what his buddy posted about "good and evil".

Good riddance.

Yea, go figure. He's lucky he's a f***ing baseball player. Good luck taking your kids to the factory every single day. LaRoche seems like a total helicopter parent. Dude, let your f***ing kid follow his own path.

good riddance to LaRoche, more I hear about this story the more his poor play last year annoys me. Was willing to give him a pass as he seemed like a nice enough bloke but FFS dude way to draw a line in the sand over some dumbass s***. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Guarantee some of his team mates feel the same way. It's selfish to bring your kid into that clubhouse every.single.day.

JUST LIKE OZZIE. Seriously, there is little difference and I guarantee the players couldn't stand either situation.

This seems like one of those situations to me where at first it's like, just one person to finally break it open:

"Hey what a great kid, so nice seeing a kid around a kids game"

"Hey cool, great kid"

"Kid is our mascot! Totally great kid"

"Isn't it kind of annoying having a kid around every day we are at work?"

"OH GOD I THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY, IT DRIVES ME NUTS"

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 05:04 PM)
If we are going by what we know and the timeline, no one knew this was going to reach these levels. They sounded surprised LaRoche decided to retire over this. However, you knew LaRoche wasn't going to be pleased with that ask. Williams is there for this purpose. This is his job. Ventura has to be in the clubhouse every day and that could have created a bad situation if LaRoche was pissed but stayed with the club, which I'm sure the entire front office assumed was going to happen.

I don't think you want to put Ventura, or any manager in that situation.

How do we know that Ventura did not approach him and he told Ventura to get lost? Same thing with Hahn? M

I actually now find this story pretty damn funny becasue the Sox win across the board in this and LaRoche looks like a tool.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
Then there's this:

"His teammates rose to his defense and challenged Williams in a heated clubhouse meeting, according to multiple sources"

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/adam-la...going-on-031616

Makes little sense between the sources...

- "players went to KW wanting him to do something about LaRoche."

- "players rose to LaRoche's defense and challenged KW."

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
Am I the only one that thinks it was probably pretty f***ing creepy to have a 14 year old kid hanging around every day.

I cannot see any player really accepting that. All of a sudden the locker room is something out of Romper Room.

Not sure about creepy but it is strange. I saw where the son "brought schoolwork w him since he is missing days". Many school systems restrict time off during non-vacation periods. What kind of school lets a kid take off for a month+. This kid is 14 years old and is spending all his time w adults and not attending school. That cannot be the healthiest of situations.

I think KW is in the right. I also think if Adam was having a goos spring he may have understood. Didn't we just read a fluff story about the great clubhouse atmosphere.........................

I just watched the KW video talking about it. It's such a weird story. Nobody looks good in all of this.

If this is all KWs wishes, which is doubtful, then what percentage of the time was he there last year? You made this happen, dude.

I wonder why Williams felt he had to make an issue of this matter? I don't see where any player felt it was a problem. Maybe KW doesn't have much to other then mess with things to show how important he is? Leadership is lacking here. KW can't stand to leave well enough alone. Didthe same thing to Guillen and the coaching staff

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 05:28 PM)
When I first heard it, I assumed the kid was a toddler or someone not in school. That's pretty strange for a 14 year old.

Doesn't that kid have other things to do? It's super weird.

It's sure looks like other teams were jumping at the opportunity to acquire him.....