Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
I am not too worried about that. If he stays healthy his price tag will probably be $35-40 million a year at that point, and he probably will already have peaked.

That's true. I just want him to be on the Sox for his entire career and it sucks knowing that he'll go elsewhere in a few years.

I'll still root for him either way, but it won't be the same when he's on another team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Then, at some point, the team decided that the arrangement wasn't working and tried to change it. The White Sox do have the ability to change their minds occasionally if they feel it is prudent.

Yeah...I can't get on this argument. If the Sox told him, before he signed, that it was okay for his son to be there as much as he'd like him, than I think they made there bed. To change, yes, they are entitled to it, but it looks poorly and is essentially a flat out lie.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
That's true. I just want him to be on the Sox for his entire career and it sucks knowing that he'll go elsewhere in a few years.

I'll still root for him either way, but it won't be the same when he's on another team.

I just want him to be on the Sox while he's young, healthy, and good value.

Sale will cost way too much and will probably be past his peak when he's a free agent. Let the Yankees overpay for him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
KW really is falling on the sword

Jeff PassanVerified account ‏@JeffPassan 5m5 minutes ago

After GM Rick Hahn and manager Robin Ventura OK'd Drake LaRoche's presence, for Williams to unilaterally say otherwise set the players off.

If the GM and Manager were on board with it, than while I realize Williams is ultimately the president, but he should be canned in my opinion for going around the people who are much closer to the situations backs. This also might be Kenny telling Rick and Ventura that look, we all agree, but I absolutely need to be the bad guy because the reality is, you two have to work with the players a lot more regularly than I do.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
Yeah...I can't get on this argument. If the Sox told him, before he signed, that it was okay for his son to be there as much as he'd like him, than I think they made there bed. To change, yes, they are entitled to it, but it looks poorly and is essentially a flat out lie.

From what I am reading, Hahn and Robin told him the kid's access would be fine, and it apparently is the reason they are in disagreement with KW. They gave their word, now they are overridden.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
I think it's more likely that Kenny takes a President of Baseball Operations position somewhere else. He's been with the organization for something like 20 years now. And while I think that he handled the LaRoche mess relatively well (given the circumstances), it's time for him to move on.

If that job existed for him, he would have taken it by now. I don't think his reputation is good enough for him to get one of those jobs. He hasn't shown he is very adept at changing with the game over the past 5+ years.

QUOTE (skooch @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:03 PM)
On the bright side ...

MLB WAR Leaders:

1. LaRoche, Drake (CWS) +1.4

2. Trout, Mike (LAA) 0.0

2. Harper, Bruce (WAS) 0.0

2. Cabrera, Miguel (DET) 0.0

2. Donaldson, Josh (TOR) 0.0

Salary = negative $13,000,000

QUOTE (skooch @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
On the bright side ...

MLB WAR Leaders:

1. LaRoche, Drake (CWS) +1.4

2. Trout, Mike (LAA) 0.0

2. Harper, Bruce (WAS) 0.0

2. Cabrera, Miguel (DET) 0.0

2. Donaldson, Josh (TOR) 0.0

Well played!!

QUOTE (y2chae @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
If Sale doesn't want to resign with the White Sox solely because they wouldn't let LaRoche's weiner kid hang around, then well, I'd have to question his priorities

I know you're young and all and haven't experienced it near as much as the older guys, but you really need to get off the "I hope Chris Sale plays his whole career with the White Sox" thing. There is never going to be too many HOF type guys that stay with one team their whole career anymore. If you're counting on it with Sale you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. I was 6 Frank Thomas's rookie year and 21 when the Sox kicked him to the curb. I always had the same thought as you about being devastated by him not playing his whole career with the Sox, but when it happens you realize it's a business and it's really not as hard as you always thought it was going to be.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
We all know he wants to be a team President. If he finds that chance, I think he leaves.

He has a perpetual contract. If JR doesn't want him to leave, unless he outright quits, he is going nowhere. JR won't let him talk to other teams. He basically is the White Sox president except for title.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 08:05 PM)
He has a perpetual contract. If JR doesn't want him to leave, unless he outright quits, he is going nowhere. JR won't let him talk to other teams. He basically is the White Sox president except for title.

It's already been said that JR approved of Kenny's actions going into it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
If Jimmy Rollins went to KW and moaned, and then said this

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0315-story.html

he is not a leader. A leader would cop to what he did and explain it to everyone.

I don't see where anything Jimmy said was wrong. He just said that he loves his family. It is LaRoche's right to walk away from the family and it is the Sox right to depict what the rules of the clubhouse should be. That said, if the Sox agreed to these terms prior to LaRoche signing, than they need and should live with those terms. Additionally, even if they didn't, it would appear that this was handed as an edict from the top and might not have had the right communication and was handled poorly.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
I know you're young and all and haven't experienced it near as much as the older guys, but you really need to get off the "I hope Chris Sale plays his whole career with the White Sox" thing. There is never going to be too many HOF type guys that stay with one team their whole career anymore. If you're counting on it with Sale you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. I was 6 Frank Thomas's rookie year and 21 when the Sox kicked him to the curb. I always had the same thought as you about being devastated by him not playing his whole career with the Sox, but when it happens you realize it's a business and it's really not as hard as you always thought it was going to be.

Its funny how the world goes round. Robin Ventura leaving for the Mets was the player that devastated me. I was soooo pissed off at the team. As I got older and really got to learn how much of a business this is, I learned not to make too much of it. If Sale leaves, he is either going because he got a gigantic contract, or the Sox got a boatload for him. Either way, not much you can do about that.