Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 06:47 PM)
Saw a great thread on SSS about Eaton failing to give Rollins a high five after the homer yesterday. Looks like a pathetic move by Eaton.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v561249483/sfcws-ro...?game_pk=469676

I'm sure the players at this point have a very good idea or know who it was that complained to management. I think it's incredibly naive to expect everyone to get along in the clubhouse, but Eaton and Sale seriously need to bury this crap already. s*** happens, people get released and traded all the damn time and sometimes they could be your friends. They're acting like the Sox held a damn gun to LaRoche's head and said "sign your retirement papers." Rollins brings demeanor, experience and leadership to the Sox that the team has sorely missed since Knoerko/Thome/Vizquel - in other words, respect the damn man. He was at one time one of the best in the game, and if he has an issue in the clubhouse it's probably for good reason you sit down and shut up. This isn't like Luery Garcia went crying to KW because more teammates knew Drake on a first name basis over himself.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 12:55 AM)
FWIW, ever since this LaRoche thing has happened, Eaton has not hit the ball... At all. He seems to be the main issue right. Dude needs to grow up & it needs to happen quickly.

There was a home run prior to the LaRoche issue where Rollins knocked in Eaton and Eaton stayed at the plate to high five him. Definitely some tension still going on, which goes along with what Will Carroll reported.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 12:58 AM)
I'm sure the players at this point have a very good idea or know who it was that complained to management. I think it's incredibly naive to expect everyone to get along in the clubhouse, but Eaton and Sale seriously need to bury this crap already. s*** happens, people get released and traded all the damn time and sometimes they could be your friends. They're acting like the Sox held a damn gun to LaRoche's head and said "sign your retirement papers." Rollins brings demeanor, experience and leadership to the Sox that the team has sorely missed since Knoerko/Thome/Vizquel - in other words, respect the damn man. He was at one time one of the best in the game, and if he has an issue in the clubhouse it's probably for good reason you sit down and shut up. This isn't like Luery Garcia went crying to KW because more teammates knew Drake on a first name basis over himself.

Yep and it's why if this continues and the team struggles, they should be the first two traded along with the firing of Ventura.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 06:59 PM)
Yep and it's why if this continues and the team struggles, they should be the first two traded along with the firing of Ventura.

I still think Ventura should have been canned last season. You know damn well this does not blow up to this level with a manager on the same level as a Maddon, Bochy, or Shoewalter. The players may "respect" Robin, but there's not a doubt in my mind he has zero control over that clubhouse.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 08:05 PM)
I still think Ventura should have been canned last season. You know damn well this does not blow up to this level with a manager on the same level as a Maddon, Bochy, or Shoewalter. The players may "respect" Robin, but there's not a doubt in my mind he has zero control over that clubhouse.

Def agree with that.

I also agree that Adam Eaton needs to pull his f***ing head out of his ass and produce on the field in April this year or or he's going to go from fan fav to fan target, if he hasn't already. His awful start last year was a big part of the overall slow start and it took him what, until mid August to get his slash line back to respectable?

Eaton is a good player (most of the time) but this incident is bringing back his D-Backs past right to the forefront again. He does not seem to be a good team player when things aren't going his way. Anybody can be content during the good times.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 01:17 AM)
Def agree with that.

I also agree that Adam Eaton needs to pull his f***ing head out of his ass and produce on the field in April this year or or he's going to go from fan fav to fan target, if he hasn't already. His awful start last year was a big part of the overall slow start and it took him what, until mid August to get his slash line back to respectable?

Eaton is a good player (most of the time) but this incident is bringing back his D-Backs past right to the forefront again. He does not seem to be a good team player when things aren't going his way. Anybody can be content during the good times.

excellent conclusive analysis of this.

you know, he has made himself the main focus and sale as an incidental person in this fiasco.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
Presented without comment:

E3 Meat Company ‏@E3Meat Mar 22

Take 10% off your order with code FamilyFirst10. Shop http://e3meatco.com #familyfirst

I'm sick of this "family first" bs. Family first would seem to be giving your kid a proper education, having him around people his own age, not turning down $13 million and also not teaching him when you don't get something your way, quit/walk away from it.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 08:57 AM)
LaRoche should read Jose Abreu's statement that Quinarvy posted yesterday and feel f***ing ashamed of himself.

Why?

The guy chose his kid over $13 million. That's his choice.

The guy everyone wanted to retire, now is one of the biggest assholes of all time because he retired.

Why?

The guy everyone wanted to retire, now is one of the biggest assholes of all time because he retired.

He's not one of the biggest assholes of all time because he retired, he's one of the biggest assholes of all time because of the mess he stirred up in the process of retiring.

I've read a lot, but definitely not all of this thread, so this may have been covered. But I keep seeing people mentioning Rollins and to a lesser extent Navarro and Frazier as the ones who complained to management. Is there anything actually suggesting this is true or are people just assuming because they are new to the team this year?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
I've read a lot, but definitely not all of this thread, so this may have been covered. But I keep seeing people mentioning Rollins and to a lesser extent Navarro and Frazier as the ones who complained to management. Is there anything actually suggesting this is true or are people just assuming because they are new to the team this year?

Judging by how Eaton spurned him after the homer, it's pretty obvious either Rollins was involved or Eaton suspects he was.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 08:22 PM)
I just wonder what exactly they are "monitoring". I suppose it all has to do with whether or not LaRoche wants to file a grievance.

if it is anything pertaining to laroche, i would guess the reaction from management toward sale and eaton and how they are being dealt with.

this might hamper, maybe in the way they are, if it happens, being traded.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
He's not one of the biggest assholes of all time because he retired, he's one of the biggest assholes of all time because of the mess he stirred up in the process of retiring.

a classy guy would have said in a letter, to all his friends on the sox team, do not let his retiring affect in any way harsh feeling toward management, but to wish him and his family good tidings.

now something like that would have endeared him to many.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
Why?

He should feel ashamed because he's acting all victimized because he can't spend every waking hour with his f***ing kid, while he sat across the locker room from a guy in Abreu who's actually been through something difficult.

He proceeded to make the choice to Twitter snipe while allowing the issue to explode. Not difficult to understand.

Yup, that's it. As usual you've hit the nail right on the head.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)

No one of authority has actually said it, but it has definitely been whispered by many and hinted at by others.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
a classy guy would have said in a letter, to all his friends on the sox team, do not let his retiring affect in any way harsh feeling toward management, but to wish him and his family good tidings.

now something like that would have endeared him to many.

It's still the first retirement announcement I've ever seen where the player didn't thank the fans

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
It's still the first retirement announcement I've ever seen where the player didn't thank the fans

damn you are right. i never thought of that until now. i wonder if anyone realize that.

now if this been said before, i wonder where i was???