Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
Doubt many will agree with me but unless we do something.. this hurts us. He was an OBP bounceback candidate for us. He had a more reasonable bounceback possibility than Garcia, who has no track record (vs righties) to bounce back to, really

I agree with this. I was expecting LaRoche to be decent this year. But if they reallocate this $13M to a LH power bat....I am more interested. Ethier would look good as the Sox RF/DH!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
Well, from a baseball perspective, Avi Garcia/Melky Cabrera just penciled in as your everyday DH. Austin Jackson signing just became very important as he's now penciled in as a starter.

Good point. Jackson is the everyday centerfielder while Eaton would play one of the corners. I imagine the Sox will be looking for a left-handed bat that could supply some power, though. Trouble is that the pickings are slim.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
Well, from a baseball perspective, Avi Garcia/Melky Cabrera just penciled in as your everyday DH. Austin Jackson signing just became very important as he's now penciled in as a starter.

Jackson was going to start regardless.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
Who's our backup 1B now? Honest question.

DH will no doubt be a rotation, something along the lines of Eaton/Melky/Avi, in addition to Frazier and Abreu, probably.

Frazier can play 1B. Avila can play 1B. Saladino can play 1B. Sands can play 1B. I'm not worried about it. Any of the other infielders count play 1B.

First, what a shocker indeed. My mouth dropped when I saw this news on Rotoworld.

Second, yes, this opens a LOT of money, but this announcement would have been much better prior to the off season to plan, perhaps their was prior knowledge.

Third, It would be nice to now get Bruce for cheap, or some other option. I really did expect LaRoche to bounce back, but with that out of the plan, we need some power. Send me Bruce as Dh.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
Frazier can play 1B I believe

You are correct, he started 37 games at 1b in 2014 and played there 83 during his big league career. So he's the obvious backup 1b, with Lawrie moving to 3b if Abreu needs time off or at DH.

This opens up a roster spot, pending other moves, for either Sanchez or for Sands.

I wouldn't be opposed at using at least half of that money to our International Scouting / Bonus Pool either as well if we could, with 3 picks already in the top 60, this is a really good chance to build something substantial from the bottom up for the Sox if they do it right.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 07:41 PM)
You are correct, he started 37 games at 1b in 2014 and played there 83 during his big league career. So he's the obvious backup 1b, with Lawrie moving to 3b if Abreu needs time off or at DH.

This opens up a roster spot, pending other moves, for either Sanchez or for Sands.

It has to be another lefty bat, IMO

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
It has to be another lefty bat, IMO

Without knowing or otherwise commenting on the circumstances of this personal issue and focusing only on the baseball part, it's a genuine shame that this couldn't have happened before Pedro Alvarez signed.