Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
He has a perpetual contract. If JR doesn't want him to leave, unless he outright quits, he is going nowhere. JR won't let him talk to other teams. He basically is the White Sox president except for title.

It obvious matters to Kenny, otherwise he doesn't threaten to quit over TOR. If he gets another chance he wants, he either leaves or quits.

An overlooked issue is the multi-millionaire with access to advantages that 90% of Americans do not, saying that school is not important.

I am starting to think that Adam LaRoche is one f'd up guy.

This guy and his kid is pretty set for life but his message is horrendous and his kid now bears the weight of this bad decision regardless of what is said to him. Think about that for minute.

Also in regard to the the "agreement' for child access t othe team all season. My guess is that he White Sox did not think it would be abused and used to excess.

QUOTE (shakes @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
If that job existed for him, he would have taken it by now. I don't think his reputation is good enough for him to get one of those jobs. He hasn't shown he is very adept at changing with the game over the past 5+ years.

Wasn't Toronto interested in him a year or so ago?

That said, I agree that he has some negatives. The Sox's farm system fell apart under his tenure as GM. And there was the corrupt scout director (or whatever his title was) in Latin America.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
An overlooked issue is the multi-millionaire with access to advantages that 90% of Americans do not, saying that school is not important.

I am starting to think that Adam LaRoche is one f'd up guy.

This guy and his kid is pretty set for life but his message is horrendous and his kid now bears the weight of this bad decision regardless of what is said to him. Think about that for minute.

Also in regard to the the "agreement' for child access t othe team all season. My guess is that he White Sox did not think it would be abused and used to excess.

I think that is taken a bit out of context. The kid is doing schoolwork that the school district gives them, and taking tests at appropriate times. I think LaRoche means actually being in school wasn't important. That is debatable as well, but not as much as what it first looks like. I would disagree with him if he did actually mean what was written.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
He has a perpetual contract. If JR doesn't want him to leave, unless he outright quits, he is going nowhere. JR won't let him talk to other teams. He basically is the White Sox president except for title.

Another thing to consider is that JR might not own this team a few years from now. A new ownership group might want to clean house.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
It obvious matters to Kenny, otherwise he doesn't threaten to quit over TOR. If he gets another chance he wants, he either leaves or quits.

His threatening to quit was like Ricketts threatening to take the Cubs to Rosemont.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:12 PM)
I think that is taken a bit out of context. The kid is doing schoolwork that the school district gives them, and taking tests at appropriate times. I think LaRoche means actually being in school wasn't important. That is debatable as well, but not as much as what it first looks like. I would disagree with him if he did actually mean what was written.

Personally, everyone should be allowed to raise their kids as they want in terms of school. From all reports, he's very well-behaved. As long as he's doing well on the standardized tests, LaRoche should be allowed to do as he pleases with his kids.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
This was posted 14 hours ago, but thought it was interesting that LaRoche's meat company retweeted it:

Desmond Howard ‏@DesmondHoward 14h14 hours ago

Hmmmm, I'm thinking that Adam LaRoche will have a very short "retirement".

I HIGHLY doubt he'll "unretire" now.

He's not a moron. He has to know all the hoopla surrounding this incident and I can't see him going back into the Sox clubhouse again.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:15 PM)
I HIGHLY doubt he'll "unretire" now.

He's not a moron. He has to know all the hoopla surrounding this incident and I can't see him going back into the Sox clubhouse again.

I see a pretty easy path to return, especially with ST almost over. There's a way for him and KW to come out of this looking like they came to an agreement, and the players would take him back.

Remember when people were saying last year we couldn't sit LaRoache against lefties because of some handshake agreement?

It's time for some accountability. The Dunn mistake and playoff drough was bad enough. The White Sox aren't wrong to make this adjustment, they just made a huge mistake signing Laroche in the first place.

LaRoaChe is obviously not a good teammate and more concerned with himself getting his way 100% over the team's objective to win.

That might now be the leading free agency signing in terms of handshake deals. At least 2 that we've heard of...so far.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
This was posted 14 hours ago, but thought it was interesting that LaRoche's meat company retweeted it:

Desmond Howard ‏@DesmondHoward 14h14 hours ago

Hmmmm, I'm thinking that Adam LaRoche will have a very short "retirement".

So is LaRoche officially retired yet? I don't see any way he could change his mind and come back now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
I see a pretty easy path to return, especially with ST almost over. There's a way for him and KW to come out of this looking like they came to an agreement, and the players would take him back.

Possible, but not likely. LaRoche probably has other reasons to quit, and without full access for the kid, he's not coming back.

File the papers.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
I know you're young and all and haven't experienced it near as much as the older guys, but you really need to get off the "I hope Chris Sale plays his whole career with the White Sox" thing. There is never going to be too many HOF type guys that stay with one team their whole career anymore. If you're counting on it with Sale you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. I was 6 Frank Thomas's rookie year and 21 when the Sox kicked him to the curb. I always had the same thought as you about being devastated by him not playing his whole career with the Sox, but when it happens you realize it's a business and it's really not as hard as you always thought it was going to be.

This is a very good post that I agree 100% with. I know baseball is a business and I care much more about the Sox as a team than Sale individually.

With that being said, I do admire guys that stay with 1 team their whole career (Jeter, Wright, etc). I know Sale won't be in that group and if it is in the best interests of the Sox as a team to let him walk, then I'd be ok with it.

I don't know if it's just because I'm young, but loyalty is important to me. I love seeing guys in any sport play with 1 team their entire career.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
Wasn't Toronto interested in him a year or so ago?

That said, I agree that he has some negatives. The Sox's farm system fell apart under his tenure as GM. And there was the corrupt scout director (or whatever his title was) in Latin America.

Not sure, but when it came time to hire someone Toronto passed on him. Then there was a report that Seattle was interested and it turns out they showed no interest and hired someone else.

I think those stories of interest came from Kenny.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)

Most important thing from that:

An ESPN report that the White Sox players considered boycotting Wednesday’s spring game in show of support for LaRoche wasn’t incorrect but was also “exaggerated,” a source said. It was a thought among a few players that didn’t gain any more traction, the source said.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:20 PM)
Most important thing from that:

An ESPN report that the White Sox players considered boycotting Wednesday’s spring game in show of support for LaRoche wasn’t incorrect but was also “exaggerated,” a source said. It was a thought among a few players that didn’t gain any more traction, the source said.

Yep, and I like the fact that Frazier (and supposedly Sale) were the guys saying they had to play.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
Personally, everyone should be allowed to raise their kids as they want in terms of school. From all reports, he's very well-behaved. As long as he's doing well on the standardized tests, LaRoche should be allowed to do as he pleases with his kids.

I agree, that is why all this bad parent crap is crap. From all accounts, this is a pretty good kid he is raising. In one of the articles it says he plays on 2 teams and would love to be a ballplayer some day. Maybe now that his dad is retired, he goes to regular school. I would have done it differently than him if I were in the same shoes. But for me to say he is wrong would be wrong.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
Just saw that the mlbpa will most likely file a grievance against the sox bc having his son with him was a condition for him to sign with the sox.

Good, can't wait for the judge to way in on this crap.

QUOTE (shakes @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
Not sure, but when it came time to hire someone Toronto passed on him. Then there was a report that Seattle was interested and it turns out they showed no interest and hired someone else.

I think those stories of interest came from Kenny.

I think that Reinsdorf blocked Toronto from talking to him. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong about this.