Your new Supreme Court nominee is....

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

It's becoming quite clear at least what this guy was, and if people want to say that was then....they had a federal judge on last night, and for their background checks, if they ever did drugs harder than pot, they were disqualified. This is the SCOTUS. Not elected, lifetime appointment. It should be only the best. You might not politically agree, obviously no one is going to be like that, but you have to be of the highest character. There is no way this guy qualifies. These hijinks aside, he has clearly lied under oath, something else that should disqualify him from this job. 

Edited by Dick Allen

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It's becoming quite clear at least what this guy was, and if people want to say that was then....they had a federal judge on last night, and for their background checks, if they ever did drugs harder than pot, they were disqualified. This is the SCOTUS. Not elected, lifetime appointment. It should be only the best. You might not politically agree, obviously no one is going to be like that, but you have to be of the highest character. There is no way this guy qualifies. These hijinks aside, he has clearly lied under oath, something else that should disqualify him from this job. 

Douglas Ginsburg took himself out of the running for pot smoking, for an example.

I am pretty sure they know there is a really good chance there are some other women with stories to tell out there. I think it is the biggest reason Trump, for the ,most part,  has bit his tongue. Another comes out, their credibility skyrockets, and all of these so called republicans look like fools trying to rush ‘this through. It wouldn’t leave enough time to confirm another candidate, and hurt them trying to keep control. For Trump, and the Trump party, it’s Kavanaugh or bust IMO.

Check out his yearbook quotes, it's right up his alley.

The biggest conservative minds, possibly including the Kavanaugh team and the White House, have been hinting at 100% exculpatory evidence all week. Several top Senate staffers hyped it. Tonight they finally released it, and.... it was basically some Zillow searches, crawling through the yearbook, and then blaming someone else entirely. Absolutely disgusting and pathetic top to bottom, and if Kavanaugh himself was involved, he should not only withdraw but resign.

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://t.co/YIDC3rrdbi

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-tries-zillow-prove-kavanaugh-012933947.html

Man tries to use Zillow to prove Kavanaugh's innocence and ends up owning himself

I would consider it more defaming someone than owning himself.   If I was the classmate he blamed, I would be lawyering up because this is disgusting

The thing is, it's not just "a man" that did it. It is really hard to believe that Kavanaugh himself, or his nominating committee, were unaware of what that guy was proposing.

He absolutely thought that would catch fire and it did, just in the wrong direction.

Whelan had been advising the confirmation effort, and is clearly an insider in DC circles. I think they just created another can of worms over "did you know and approve of libeling a former classmate to help get yourself confirmed?"

This guys judgment is garbage.

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

I would consider it more defaming someone than owning himself.   If I was the classmate he blamed, I would be lawyering up because this is disgusting

The classmate was one of Kavanaugh's character witnesses to the Senate. So they're tarring a guy who's supposed to be evidence of how good Kavanaugh is as an attempted rapist via a Pizzagate level "investigation."

1 minute ago, bmags said:

The thing is, it's not just "a man" that did it. It is really hard to believe that Kavanaugh himself, or his nominating committee, were unaware of what that guy was proposing.

He absolutely thought that would catch fire and it did, just in the wrong direction.

Whelan had been advising the confirmation effort, and is clearly an insider in DC circles. I think they just created another can of worms over "did you know and approve of libeling a former classmate to help get yourself confirmed?"

This guys judgment is garbage.

You have to ask what the real motivation for ramming through Kavanaugh despite his questionable past beyond these serious allegations really is. It's not like a Justice Pryor or some other conservative appellate judge wouldn't rule 95%+ the same way. Could they really not find anyone cleaner than him? Is this a pushback against the idea that someone with Kavanaugh's upperclass connected background ever facing consequences?

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

The classmate was one of Kavanaugh's character witnesses to the Senate. So they're tarring a guy who's supposed to be evidence of how good Kavanaugh is as an attempted rapist via a Pizzagate level "investigation."

You have to ask what the real motivation for ramming through Kavanaugh despite his questionable past beyond these serious allegations really is. It's not like a Justice Pryor or some other conservative appellate judge wouldn't rule 95%+ the same way. Could they really not find anyone cleaner than him? Is this a pushback against the idea that someone with Kavanaugh's upperclass connected background ever facing consequences?

And quite frankly, this episode is the epitome of DC elite, where anyone not in front of you or helpful to you can be railroaded and punished as long as it benefits yourself, all for power over a population that's just an abstraction to them.

17 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

It’s simpler than that. The midterms are coming and there’s no guarantee republicans keep the senate. They can’t get a new nominee confirmed that fast so they are stuck.

The question for republicans is whether ramming him through is worth potentially losing even more voters or stirring up very strong democratic enthusiasm right before the midterm. Or ram him through and the election be damned because party over country. The easy answer is that they should wait since they probably keep the senate, but clearly they don’t know what to do.

This Whelan thing probably forces them to pull Kavanaugh and wait since it’s going to cause questioning of whether senators or the WH knew what Whelan was doing. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

All you need to know is lying to the FBI is a crime. The alleged victim wants an FBI investigation and to speak to them. Those pushing the confirmation want nothing to do with the FBI. It is very telling.

It would be very easy to say it's equally telling that her odd demands to testify under oath means she doesn't actually want to testify under oath.

A few points on the matter, as I understand it, she doesn't want the accused to be in the same room as her? As uncomfortable as that may be -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- but doesn't he have the constitutional right to face his accuser in such a setting? On top of that, she also wants the defense to testify first? Again, I'm not a lawyer, but I'm almost positive that's not how it works.

This is growing more bizarre by the minute and it's getting easier and easier to believe the democrats are simply wielding Ford as a political weapon at this point.

I'm sticking with what I said in the other thread -- Democrats (and those that consider themselves democrats) want her to be right, so they can get rid of Kavanaugh, and Republicans (and those that consider themselves republicans) want him to be right, so they can get him on the SC ... and neither actually seem to want to know the truth, unless that truth happens to side with them.

I wish there was a simple way to prove this one way or another so we can just move on from what's becoming a circus that's upending peoples lives.

(I wouldn't mind @illinilaw08 chiming in here, because I'm sure he can set the record straight on anything I'm not understanding in regards to the law here.)

Edited by Y2HH
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Y2HH said:

It would be very easy to say it's equally telling that her odd demands to testify under oath means she doesn't actually want to testify under oath.

A few points on the matter, as I understand it, she doesn't want the accused to be in the same room as her? As uncomfortable as that may be -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- but doesn't he have the constitutional right to face his accuser in such a setting? On top of that, she also wants the defense to testify first? Again, I'm not a lawyer, but I'm almost positive that's not how it works.

This is growing more bizarre by the minute and it's getting easier and easier to believe the democrats are simply wielding Ford as a political weapon at this point.

I'm sticking with what I said in the other thread -- Democrats (and those that consider themselves democrats) want her to be right, so they can get rid of Kavanaugh, and Republicans (and those that consider themselves republicans) want him to be right, so they can get him on the SC ... and neither actually seem to want to know the truth, unless that truth happens to side with them.

I wish there was a simple way to prove this one way or another so we can just move on from what's becoming a circus that's upending peoples lives.

(I wouldn't mind @illinilaw08 chiming in here, because I'm sure he can set the record straight on anything I'm not understanding in regards to the law here.)

This is not a criminal trial, it’s a political vetting process. The rules are whatever the senate agrees to. 

• Like 1

How did Whelan get both Blasey Ford's name before she went public and her friend's name, which still isn't public? Who was at the party that knew both of these names that Whelan has been talking to? 

Lends pretty strong evidence that *something* happened that Kavanaugh or his buddy remember clearly to this day.

6 hours ago, G&T said:

It’s simpler than that. The midterms are coming and there’s no guarantee republicans keep the senate. They can’t get a new nominee confirmed that fast so they are stuck.

The question for republicans is whether ramming him through is worth potentially losing even more voters or stirring up very strong democratic enthusiasm right before the midterm. Or ram him through and the election be damned because party over country. The easy answer is that they should wait since they probably keep the senate, but clearly they don’t know what to do.

This Whelan thing probably forces them to pull Kavanaugh and wait since it’s going to cause questioning of whether senators or the WH knew what Whelan was doing. 

They could drop Kavanaugh this week and ram Pryor or Barrett through either before the midterms or in the lame duck. They clearly don't care about public opinion, and either way they still secure the court for a generation.

14 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

They could drop Kavanaugh this week and ram Pryor or Barrett through either before the midterms or in the lame duck. They clearly don't care about public opinion, and either way they still secure the court for a generation.

I don’t even think Trump would be married to this guy , he really is a Bush guy after all, except for one thing, his view on indicting g POTUS.

Edited by Dick Allen