Your new Supreme Court nominee is....

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

They already voted to confirm him pending the investigation.

So unless they find some sort of earth shattering revelation or unearth some actual evidence he'll be confirmed.

They voted to take him to the senate vote where they will decide to confirm him or not.  I think Flake and the two female GOP senators will cave and vote no.  Murkowski and Collins have think about their 2020 run.  They will need the female vote and overwhelming majority of female voters lean left.

19 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

They voted to take him to the senate vote where they will decide to confirm him or not.  I think Flake and the two female GOP senators will cave and vote no.  Murkowski and Collins have think about their 2020 run.  They will need the female vote and overwhelming majority of female voters lean left.

I don't see how Flake can vote no if he said he was going to vote yes, but then they did what he requested and opened up a phony investigation. He is pretty much a lock for yes unless someone else comes forward. Collins and Murkowski, who knows, but Collins seems to buy Kavanaugh won't overturn Roe vs. Wade so it will be easy for her since now she can say, well the FBI didn't find anything...Murkowski the same way. 

It is going to take a miracle for him not to be confirmed IMO. They don't want the truth confirmed because they already know what the truth is.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't see how Flake can vote no if he said he was going to vote yes, but then they did what he requested and opened up a phony investigation. He is pretty much a lock for yes unless someone else comes forward. Collins and Murkowski, who knows, but Collins seems to buy Kavanaugh won't overturn Roe vs. Wade so it will be easy for her since now she can say, well the FBI didn't find anything...Murkowski the same way. 

It is going to take a miracle for him not to be confirmed IMO. They don't want the truth confirmed because they already know what the truth is.

Flake could want to throw a powder keg on Trump before his last hurrah.  I am also thinking if he thinks the pick will divide the country, maybe it's not worth it?  It's wishful thinking for sure but I am confident if those to GOP women vote yes, their Senate careers are over.

2 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Flake could want to throw a powder keg on Trump before his last hurrah.  I am also thinking if he thinks the pick will divide the country, maybe it's not worth it?  It's wishful thinking for sure but I am confident if those to GOP women vote yes, their Senate careers are over.

I would feel a lot better about it if the FBI was actually able to ask Kavanaugh about all the lies during his testimony, but like yesterday's news, that will go away quickly. 

My wife is an attorney from DC. Her ex was an Assistant US attorney many years ago. She seems to know how this stuff works, and she was questioning why anyone would be excited about this investigation back when it was first announced. It's all Trump, and won't come to anything. Buying time for something else is all it will accomplish.

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Flake's looking at a potential presidential run or some other non-congressional race. I think he played this so that he could say he was conflicted, but that after an FBI investigation found nothing he felt confident in his decision to vote yes.

Just now, Jenksismyhero said:

Flake's looking at a potential presidential run or some other non-congressional race. I think he played this so that he could say he was conflicted, but that after an FBI investigation found nothing he felt confident in his decision to vote yes.

I agree. There is no way he can say no when ultimately, this investigation comes up with a bunch of " I don't remembers". 

23 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Agreed, especially b/c he can always say, I can't control what the FBI investigates, that's a White House directive. He can appease voters on the left that he called for the FBI investigation by withholding his vote and appease the right by ultimately voting for Kavanaugh.

Also, Flake is only pretend Anti-Trump.  When it comes down to it he votes for everything Trump puts in front of him. 

The fact that Jeff Flake is looked at as some kinds of "moderate"  goes to show you how how far right the Republican party is. 

Just now, pettie4sox said:

Too much juice. Almost -300, which means even Vegas thinks he's getting in.

Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't take those odds, but between the scope of the "investigation" and the Democrats unwillingness to do whatever it takes to stop the nomination, I really think he gets in.  I don't see how he doesn't with the way the deck is stacked.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't take those odds, but between the scope of the "investigation" and the Democrats unwillingness to do whatever it takes to stop the nomination, I really think he gets in.  I don't see how he doesn't with the way the deck is stacked.

I would take Kavanaugh at -150 or less.  -300 is asking for trouble especially if the two GOP females defect.

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

See: John McCain 2017

I'd put confirmation odds at 60-40 against at the moment. I think Flake needed political cover to vote *no* going into HIS 2020 run, and it needed to come from a place of Kavanaugh perjuring himself as opposed to looking like he was "giving in" to the crazy radical feminist leftists.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/10/01/sex-crimes-prosecutor-details-12-massive-inconsistencies-kavanaugh-accusers-story/

For the life of me I don't understand why she didn't make these points during the hearing not afterwards. Frustrating. All the things she mentioned I mentioned in the thread earlier.

Edited by wrathofhahn

19 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

She did. Most of this is directly from her questioning/Ford's testimony at the hearing. 

She asked the questions but never followed up with her conclusions from her statements realtime. Like I said when I entered the thread that was the main criticism she asked the questions but left it up to the viewer to interpret her answers. I wanted her to challenge those inconsistencies realtime.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I remember being at high school parties, sober as a judge, and things that happened at those parties. There aren’t too many I remember the date or how exactly I got there or got home.

I got in a serious car accident a decade ago I remember where I was at the time, what I was doing, and the time it happened. Why? Mainly, how it affected my life afterwards and my day to day plans that year. FYI, I was knocked unconscious and sent to the ER my experience is the exact opposite of what you claim and what I was told by doctors. They told me the brain protects you from trauma as a result the accident itself is harder to recall then the events leading up to the accident and after the accident.

Which actually makes a whole lot more sense then what Ford is claiming when you think about it and how she can remember the trauma itself but nothing else. She also claims it had a huge impact on her life and if that is true then she should have been able to narrow it down easily maybe not to the day, maybe not the week, but at least the month because there would have been events she would have missed and her day to day life affected. Instead she narrowed it down by her drivers license I found that strange.

I found certain aspects of her story credible and others like the prosecutor said had big gaping holes.

Edited by wrathofhahn