Your new Supreme Court nominee is....

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Diane Fienstein decided for months to withhold a vital piece of information from not only the public but also her fellow senators. I for one hope the report is released eventhough it was limed in scope due to time constraints we should be aware of the FBI findings.

The only reason I can think of not doing so is to protect the privacy of those witnesses who cooperated with the FBI but even if the full report can't be released surely the summary of their findings can.

Grassley statement on the report:

“I’ve now received a committee staff briefing on the FBI’s supplement to Judge Kavanaugh’s background investigation file. There’s nothing in it that we didn’t already know. These uncorroborated accusations have been unequivocally and repeatedly rejected by Judge Kavanaugh, and neither the Judiciary Committee nor the FBI could locate any third parties who can attest to any of the allegations. There’s also no contemporaneous evidence. This investigation found no hint of misconduct and the same is true of the six prior FBI background investigations conducted during Judge Kavanaugh’s 25 years of public service.”

Of course, you couldn't be miscategorizing it any more incorrectly, but let's just give it to you. Under that scenerio, just mentioning it, suggests an eye for an eye is OK. If that is so, why is was there even a discussion about Kavanaugh before the elections.?

5 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

“I’ve now received a committee staff briefing on the FBI’s supplement to Judge Kavanaugh’s background investigation file. There’s nothing in it that we didn’t already know. These uncorroborated accusations have been unequivocally and repeatedly rejected by Judge Kavanaugh, and neither the Judiciary Committee nor the FBI could locate any third parties who can attest to any of the allegations. There’s also no contemporaneous evidence. This investigation found no hint of misconduct and the same is true of the six prior FBI background investigations conducted during Judge Kavanaugh’s 25 years of public service.”

Absolutely hilarious.  Of course you can't find any one to attest to any of the allegations when you are actively refusing to interview third parties with information.

1 minute ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Absolutely hilarious.  Of course you can't find any one to attest to any of the allegations when you are actively refusing to interview third parties with information.

Even more hilarious, the rules don't apply to this guy:

Senators are not allowed to discuss or characterize in detail what they've read (though they most certainly will try.)

Susan Collins

“it appears to be a very thorough investigation.”

It is ova, as is her career. It's a 3 day investigation. How is that thorough? How dumb is the American public? Even people on the right should be embarrassed by comments like this one.

Edited by Dick Allen

We really have no idea what's in that report, and won't. And that's utter B.S. They can redact names if they need to but holding the report from the public and putting a gag on Senators to even discuss it in public? That makes the process a sham, even if the report itself may not have been. Disgusting.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Susan Collins

“it appears to be a very thorough investigation.”

It is ova, as is her career. 

Yup he's getting confirmed.

Edited by chw42

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

There was never any doubt that this whole process was a sham, and that Kavanaugh would be confirmed.

Well of course there was a doubt, and still is, about his confirmation. But the way they are handling this report is indeed a sham, as many feared, you are right about that.

It will be interesting to see what some red state Dems do now it looks like he will be confirmed. Heidi has fallen 10 points behind Cramer. Manchin lead is shrinking.

via the Daily Beast:

Substitute Sen. Joe Manchin’s name and an almost identical ad is blanketing the airwaves in West Virginia. Pre-Kavanaugh, Manchin was running comfortably ahead by double digits by wielding like a club his protection of coal miners and others who depend on coverage of pre-existing conditions against opponent Attorney General Patrick Morrisey, who’s suing the federal government to end such coverage. In what could be a life-or-death vote for those afflicted by opioid addiction or black lung disease, Manchin has lost four points this month as Republicans increasingly side with the person who would take their health care away. You’d think Kavanaugh, who enjoys a 56-26 approval in the state, were on the ballot.  

3 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Well of course there was a doubt, and still is, about his confirmation. But the way they are handling this report is indeed a sham, as many feared, you are right about that.

Maybe I should have been more specific, but there was never any doubt in my mind.

24 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Diane Fienstein decided for months to withhold a vital piece of information from not only the public but also her fellow senators so maybe this is the new normal. I for one hope the report is released eventhough it was limed in scope due to time constraints we should be aware of the FBI findings.

The only reason I can think of not doing so is to protect the privacy of those witnesses who cooperated with the FBI but even if the full report can't be released surely the summary of their findings can.

Diane Fienstein didnt release the information because the person who gave her the information asked her not to.

Are you saying she should have against Ford's wishes and released it without her approval?

Not to mention it has nothing to do with what is going on right now. The Republican's could release the information, they are choosing not to. Perhaps you dont care about the truth or transparency. Its become abundantly clear you dont care about the Supreme Court or US laws. 

Win some, lose some. But you cant fight time and you cant fight the inevitable. One day the dinosaurs will go extinct. 

I don't get why so many people are upset with the process.  Clearly the FBI thing was just a stall tactic to try and hold Kavanaugh out as long as they can and hope it pushed past the Nov. voting (I don't blame them).  But people.... There is exactly zero evidence.  That's one thing great about america is you're innocent until proven guilty.  I mean geez, even her childhood best friend could vouch that she knew of a party like that or ever met Kavanaugh.  The whole thing was fishy.  IDK how you can't at least acknowledge that.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I don't get why so many people are upset with the process.  Clearly the FBI thing was just a stall tactic to try and hold Kavanaugh out as long as they can and hope it pushed past the Nov. voting (I don't blame them).  But people.... There is exactly zero evidence.  That's one thing great about america is you're innocent until proven guilty.  I mean geez, even her childhood best friend could vouch that she knew of a party like that or ever met Kavanaugh.  The whole thing was fishy.  IDK how you can't at least acknowledge that.

The FBI investigation with a one week time frame and of limited scope was a stall tactic by the Democrats even though it needed to be ordered by Republicans and they set the parameters.  Got it.  Fantastic critical thinking.

This FBI investigation was cover for Jeff Flake, Murkowski and Collins who are all cowards and were scared to vote yes.  Nothing more.

There is corroborating evidence about Ramirez's allegation against Kavanaugh.  The FBI just was prohibited from looking into it and the GOP wouldn't let her testify before Congress.  Plenty of evidence Kavanaugh has lied under oath repeatedly.  The Ford allegation is absolutely a he said/she said situation but let's not act like that is the only allegation facing Kavanaugh or that he hasn't broken the law repeatedly by lying under oath.  Kavanaugh has clearly demonstrated he is not suited to be a supreme court justice but go team GOP I guess.  Party before country.

Let me also say that Kavanaugh is not under trial, there is no presumption of innocence when you are on a job interview.  My company would never have hired this guy in a million years under these circumstances but he is going to be on the Supreme Court without a real investigation.  Amazing. 

Edited by whitesoxfan99

1 minute ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

The FBI investigation with a one week time frame and of limited scope was a stall tactic by the Democrats even though it needed to be ordered by Republicans and they set the parameters.  Got it.  Fantastic critical thinking.

This FBI investigation was cover for Jeff Flake, Murkowski and Collins who are all cowards and were scared to vote yes.  Nothing more.

There is corroborating evidence about Ramirez's allegation against Kavanaugh.  The FBI just was prohibited from looking into it and the GOP wouldn't let her testify before Congress.  Plenty of evidence Kavanaugh has lied under oath repeatedly.  The Ford allegation is absolutely a he said/she said situation but let's not act like that is the only allegation facing Kavanaugh or that he hasn't broken the law repeatedly by lying under oath.  Kavanaugh has clearly demonstrated he is not suited to be a supreme court justice but go team GOP I guess.  Party before country.

You're kidding right??  The entire time the democratics hounded Kavanaugh to have an FBI investigation KNOWING it does absolutely nothing and will provide nothing new... Of course it was a stall tactic.  And it worked (slightly). Just didn't stall it long enough, for now

• Thanks 1

Just now, cjgalloway said:

You're kidding right??  The entire time the democratics hounded Kavanaugh to have an FBI investigation KNOWING it does absolutely nothing and will provide nothing new... Of course it was a stall tactic.  And it worked (slightly). Just didn't stall it long enough, for now

Yes, that line of questioning was grandstanding to show people that he didn't want an investigation to imply he didn't want the truth found out and they called for an investigation, which there absolutely should have been.  A stall tactic only works if you are the one who gets to do the stalling though.  Republicans set the parameters for the investigation and the coward Jeff Flake is ultimately the one who got the investigation going so he could have cover for his upcoming yes vote.