Your new Supreme Court nominee is....

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

So he's Alito. The ultimate windsock.

He actually seems even worse than Alito in that regard, somehow. Alito will reliably rule in accordance with the current GOP policy preferences. Kavanaugh seems like he'll make rulings purely on partisan spite.

1 hour ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Americans are dumb

QFT. They elected Dubya twice and Trump once. That is all that needs to be said. 

That said Trump makes Dubya look like a Nobel Laureate in comparison, which is really depressing. I feel like the movie Idiocracy is becoming a documentary.

"HE INTERRUPTED ME WHILE I WAS WATCHING "OW! MY BALLS!" 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Reality TV has shown it pays to be the fool. Now it is extending into other parts.

All I can say is that American society in all aspects rewards pathological narcissism, and dismisses true kindness, compassion, selflessness and intellect as being personally weak. This is a horrible thing. Rarely, do we show that we love our neighbor, we only cheat our neighbor. 

Basically, America rewards Veruca Salt from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and people like Charlie Bucket get shat upon for all eternity. 

We've gone too far rewarding individualism. We need a paradigm shift. There needs to be a healthy balance of individualism and collectivism in society, and we don't have that. 

I agree with the people that say that Trump winning the presidency is a symptom of what personality traits Americans value most.  it is really, really scary. 

Each and every citizen needs to look at themselves in the mirror and re-evaluate their values, and what type of country they'd like to live in. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, cjgalloway said:

Everyone (who listened) knew the FBI investigation would provide nothing.. yet they wanted it so that they could act all angry and get in an uproar when the report indicates nothing was found..  Everyone knew nothing would come of it and now you're in an uproar BECAUSE nothing came of it (knowing it wouldn't).  It's fun to watch lol

Sure because they limited the size and scope of the investigation intentionally to be able to produce the result the GOP wanted.

52 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I dont care of Justices disagree with me on the interpretation of the law.

And if a Democrat nominee started saying similar stuff, id want them immediately removed as well. 

I'm actually pretty apolitical.  I do believe all justices should be impartial, as the rule of law is what holds us together.  So if Judge Kavanaugh is found to be impartial, then maybe he shouldn't sit on the highest court in the land.  But I keep hearing from conservative colleagues that Justice Ginsberg wasn't very impartial about Donald Trump.  Seehttps://www.cnn.com/2016/07/12/politics/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-donald-trump-faker/index.htm

Is this any different?  

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Which they are worried the Democrats will follow if they lose seats this November. The Democrats are being blatant in their desire to stall his nomination the only question is will Republicans who hold the senate fall for it. Doesn't appear so.

I wonder who they learned the technique from? :violin

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

I'm actually pretty apolitical.  I do believe all justices should be impartial, as the rule of law is what holds us together.  So if Judge Kavanaugh is found to be impartial, then maybe he shouldn't sit on the highest court in the land.  But I keep hearing from conservative colleagues that Justice Ginsberg wasn't very impartial about Donald Trump.  Seehttps://www.cnn.com/2016/07/12/politics/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-donald-trump-faker/index.htm

Is this any different?  

She was widely criticized for that but there’s also a pretty big big difference between calling Trump a faker and calling out the fact he didn’t turn over his tax returns and spouting off conspiracy theories and attacking an entire political party.  

4 minutes ago, Special K said:

Is this any different?  

Justice Ginsburg was already confirmed. Further, she's allowed to have an opinion outside of her official capacity.

Just now, whitesoxfan99 said:

She was widely criticized for that but there’s also a pretty big big difference between calling Trump a faker and calling out the fact he didn’t turn over his tax returns and spouting off conspiracy theories and attacking an entire political party.  

I just think all judges should adhere to this and we, as a people, should try to make sure of that regardless of political affiliation (or dislike for DJT).  Because impartiality on the Bench can lead to very very bad things.  No excuses for either judge.

Just now, Dam8610 said:

Justice Ginsburg was already confirmed. Further, she's allowed to have an opinion outside of her official capacity.

Confirmed or not, all judges should remain impartial - that's the point.  If Justice Roberts came out railing against Democrats you would be okay with that under the guise that it's his opinion outside of his official capacity?  I sure wouldn't be.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Directly speaking to the quality of the FBI investigation, they didn't interview Kavanaugh in this time.  With all of the questions that were asked of him, and all of the questions raised about that testimony, he was never asked a single question.

That's all you need to know to know what this "investigation" was worth.

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

Is this any different?  

No and she hasn't recused herself from any of the cases of involving the Trump admin either.

Then there is also the major difference of noone called her evil. Said they believed a man accusing her of rape. Labeled her a gang rapist. Done any sort of the smearing that democrats have done to Kavanaugh many of it happening even before the allegations took place.

I think something has sort of happened to democrats where they seem incapable of practicing the same tolerance they preach towards others. With Republicans they seem to be able to disagree with you without calling you names and are open to listening. They don't need to retreat to safe spaces and refuse to be exposed to things they disagree with.

One thing I always admired about Ginsburg even though I disagreed with her on almost everything is she seemed to form a lasting friendship with Scalia. I really respected that about her before her comments about Trump there is a life outside of politics. Noone should cut themselves off from one side because they disagree with each other politically.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

I think something has sort of happened to democrats where they seem incapable of practicing the same tolerance they preach towards others. With Republicans they seem to be able to disagree with you without calling you names and are open to listening. They don't need to retreat to safe spaces and refuse to be exposed to things they disagree with.

This is one of the funnier things ever written on this board. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

No and she hasn't recused herself from any of the cases of involving the Trump admin either.

Then there is also the major difference of noone called her evil. Said they believed a man accusing her of rape. Labeled her a gang rapist. Done any sort of the smearing that democrats have done to Kavanaugh many of it happening even before the allegations took place.

One thing I always admired about Ginsburg even though I disagreed with her on almost everything is she seemed to form a lasting friendship with Scalia. I really respected that about her before her comments about Trump there is a life outside of politics. Noone should cut themselves off from one side because they disagree with each other politically.

You must be drunker than Brett Kavanaugh. Open to listening? LMAO. Not call you names? Crooked Hillary? 

No one called RBG evil,  Trump just said her mind was shot. Oh, Trump also called Dr. Ford evil at his rally the other day. So there's that. 

27 minutes ago, Special K said:

Confirmed or not, all judges should remain impartial - that's the point.  If Justice Roberts came out railing against Democrats you would be okay with that under the guise that it's his opinion outside of his official capacity?  I sure wouldn't be.  

The difference is Kavanaugh only spoke of derogatory of democrats in this particular circumstance. He didn't speak more broadly outside of that. He was rude but that was reciprocated by Democrats that were also rude with him.

Earlier he was respectful of Dems throughout the process which shows he is able to be fair and reasonable as long as he is treated with the proper respect. I don't think/hope he'll hold a lasting grudge against an entire ideology due to the actions of a couple of democrats but if he does the Democrats have noone to blame but themselves.

Edited by wrathofhahn

Just now, wrathofhahn said:

The difference is Kavanaugh only spoke of derogatory of democrats in this particular circumstance. He didn't speak more broadly outside of that. He was rude but that was reciprocated by Democrats that were also rude with him.

Earlier he was respectful of Dems throughout the process which shows he is able to be fair and reasonable as long as he is treated with respect. I don't think/hope he'll hold a lasting grudge against an entire ideology due to the actions of a couple of democrats but if he does the Democrats have noone to blame but themselves.

No, the republicans should be blamed for getting him on the bench. 

23 minutes ago, Special K said:

I wouldn't really care unless it appeared to affect his legal opinions. Professionals are paid in their professional capacity, and Justice Ginsburg didn't do this in her professional capacity. She gave her opinion in a non-professional capacity. She's allowed to do that.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

You must be drunker than Brett Kavanaugh. Open to listening? LMAO. Not call you names? Crooked Hillary? 

No one called RBG evil,  Trump just said her mind was shot. Oh, Trump also called Dr. Ford evil at his rally the other day. So there's that. 

There is a whole world outside of Trump. I was speaking more broadly about my own personal experience.

13 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Have you ever watched our President speak?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Special K said:

Is this any different?  

Ginsburg made a mistake in judgment, which she apologized for:

https://www.npr.org/2016/07/14/486012897/ginsburg-apologies-for-ill-advised-trump-comments

I cant recall Kavanaugh making a similar pronouncement regretting what he said. 

6 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

There is a whole world outside of Trump. I was speaking more broadly about my own personal experience.

What Democratic Senator was out of line questioning Kavanaugh?  The only guy I saw who lost his mind besides Kavanaugh himself, was Graham. Both republicans. It must be very frustrating when you are given 5 minutes during a hearing to ask questions and the one being asked questions refuses to answer them. He's hiding something and you know it. But the R after his name makes it OK in your world. R after the name makes everything OK. Kavanaugh and Trump are victims. It's laughable people actually believe this. History will look back on this and a lot of people won't admit how hoodwinked they were. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1