Your new Supreme Court nominee is....

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

They could drop Kavanaugh this week and ram Pryor or Barrett through either before the midterms or in the lame duck. They clearly don't care about public opinion, and either way they still secure the court for a generation.

Well they don’t seem to be doing that and the question was why. And how do you know that another nominee doesn’t end up in the same position?

Anyway, I’m not sure they can before the midterms. The lame duck is also a gamble. In a world where they lose the senate, they will have lost the house as well. They will piss off a huge portion of the country and the calls for impeachment and investigations into the GOP will grow. The personal toll will be high. 

In what is the least surprising headline and, at this point, the least surprising by line in history:

Senate Democrats Investigate a New Allegation of Sexual Misconduct, from Brett Kavanaugh’s College Years

By Ronan Farrow and Jane Mayer

7:49 P.M

First paragraph also seems to allege that the early hints of this one reaching the Senate last week are why the Senate Republicans were pushing for a Monday vote.

uh ok so now there are as many as four separate accusers?

Montgomery County investigators confirmed Monday they’re aware of a potential second sexual assault complaint in the county against former Georgetown Prep student and Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

While investigators weren’t specific and spoke on background, they said they are looking at allegations against Kavanaugh during his senior year in high school after an anonymous witness came forward this weekend.

This would potentially bring the number to four women accusing Kavanaugh of wrongdoing and comes after Deborah Ramirez, a former Yale college student, stepped forward this weekend to accuse Kavanaugh of exposing himself to her in college, and after attorney Michael Avenatti tweeted out a message saying he represents a woman with “credible information regarding Judge Kavanaugh and Mark Judge."

12 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Once again, some right-wing hack has smeared Kavanaugh's latest accuser and got the wrong person. Didn't stop much of the right-wing media from circulating the claims.

Proof of google's bias against conservatives by tricking them feeding them alternative named people

13 hours ago, ptatc said:

Sexual predators will show a pattern until they are stopped. Not surprising more have come forward.

According to a statement by Jane Mayer this morning, one of the authors of that New Yorker piece, the Yale incident was widely enough known amongst others who attended that school at the same time that it was those former classmates who brought the reports forward, the victim in that case did not want to do so on the record until last week after the first allegation came public, when she finally agreed to talk to Ronan Farrow. 

Lindsay Graham crying about the total collapse of the SCOTUS confirmation process. I wonder why he said nothing when Obama's nomination was ignored. 

You want someone confirmed, nominate a viable candidate, not the stereotypical drunk frat boy who with entitlement issues.

The guy got into debt with baseball tickets? Then it suddenly dissappears?  All very shady.  Wouldn't  financial issues be a huge issue when confirming any judge, let alone one in for the highest court? And then throw all these sexual issues on top of it....desperate times for the Trump party.

41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Lindsay Graham crying about the total collapse of the SCOTUS confirmation process. I wonder why he said nothing when Obama's nomination was ignored. 

You want someone confirmed, nominate a viable candidate, not the stereotypical drunk frat boy who with entitlement issues.

The guy got into debt with baseball tickets? Then it suddenly dissappears?  All very shady.  Wouldn't  financial issues be a huge issue when confirming any judge, let alone one in for the highest court? And then throw all these sexual issues on top of it....desperate times for the Trump party.

Clarence Thomas was probably/arguably worse...but you would have thought after #metoo and Gorsuch’s “success” that they would have looked for another straight arrow type.  Hubris?

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Clarence Thomas was probably/arguably worse...but you would have thought after #metoo and Gorsuch’s “success” that they would have looked for another straight arrow type.  Hubris?

I can't find it right now, but somewhere out there I've seen a report that they prepared 2 separate lists for Trump, one of conservatives who would sail through easily and one of names who were more controversial and farther to the right, and he told them to throw away the first list.

Yeah. OK.

"That's totally false and outrageous," he said. "I have never done any such thing, known about any such thing. When I was in high school, and I went to an all-boys Catholic high school where I was focused on academics and athletics and going to church every Sunday at Little Flower and working on my service projects and friendships."

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah. OK.

"That's totally false and outrageous," he said. "I have never done any such thing, known about any such thing. When I was in high school, and I went to an all-boys Catholic high school where I was focused on academics and athletics and going to church every Sunday at Little Flower and working on my service projects and friendships."

I have no doubt he did these things as it's required at Catholic high schools. However, that in no way means he didn't commit the crimes. 

They have his college roommate saying he was a drunk. They have all the yearbook messages. They have him saying what happens at Georgetown Prep stays at Georgetown Prep. Way too much there to conclude his Fox News softball interview was anything but BS. Just some virgin who was focused on academics and sports and the church. OK. There is more coming.  Plus, his clerks need to look like models. 

Whoever votes to confirm him needs to be held accountable. 

Edited by Dick Allen

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They have his college roommate saying he was a drunk. They have all the yearbook messages. They have him saying what happens at Georgetown Prep stays at Georgetown Prep. Way too much there to conclude his Fox News softball interview was anything but BS. Just some virgin who was focused on academics and sports and the church. OK. There is more coming.  Plus, his clerks need to look like models. 

Whoever votes to confirm him needs to be held accountable. 

I wonder if he gets confirmed and a blue wave comes, does he get impeached? Democrats could hold hearings into the possibility that he lied during confirmation and try to remove him. I think this is especially possible if he gets confirmed during the lame duck session. It's not likely because it's a crazy political move that doesn't happen, but it's a huge ideological seat and there may be reason for the Dems to get it back.

So before hearing one word of testimony,  Orrin Hatch has declared Kavanaugh will be confirmed. I saw an interview with Susan Collins and although she says she has not decided,  it seems her fellow Republicans have somehow bought her vote. She. IMO is the one who can stop this ridiculousness. 

Tuck it in boys, your panic is showing

“Hurry and vote!”
“She is not coming, is she coming?!?”
“She misidentified him!!”
“She is a political actor!”
“No matter what, we confirm him!”
“We can’t interview her, hire an attorney, we will call her our FEMALE ASSISTANT!!”

A female assistant??? In addition to conducting the questioning of Dr. Ford, will she also make the Starbucks run?

Edited by caulfield12

Kavanaugh has presented a calendar from 1982 which he claims proves he wasn't at the party in question. He just happened to have a calendar from 36 years ago handy, probably knowing back then he would be up for this job and someone may accuse him of doing something other than studying, playing sports, going to church and doing things for his community. 

• Thanks 1