Your new Supreme Court nominee is....

southsider2k5

QUOTE (brett05 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
They literally did not. They bent over backwards and refused to use the power of the purse. The color of the sky in my world is blue, and yours?

Sky actually isnt blue, that is just the way humans perceive it due to blue light waves being shorter

http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/blue-sky/en/

:D

QUOTE (brett05 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:09 PM)
I have no idea what middle you speak of. The middle of the country, thrilled. The middle class. Happy. At least in my circles.

And in my circles, middle of the country, middle to upper class, they are appalled.

But none of this really matters, if Trump cant deliver jobs to those places he promised, hell be gone. Many people dont care about the SC, they dont care about travel bans/whatever you want to call them. They care about Trump's promise that he was going to turn back time and make America a manufacturing super power with jobs for all. If that doesnt happen, he will have to answer to them. Just like he had to answer to the creditors when he didnt pay the bills on the Taj Mahal. Saying how great something is only works until the bill comes in the mail.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/07/opinion/...hopes.html?_r=1

brett were you really proud when Tom Cotton obstructed Cassandra Butts from getting her nominated position of ambassador to the Carribean to honor her as she battled leukemia, and Cotton put a hold on the nomination once he learned that Butts was friends with Obama and it would inflict personal pain on him? Butts died and was never appointed.

Or did they not go far enough there?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
The left's choices are to vote D or let Trump keep his clean road to do whatever he wants. I am pretty sure this won't be an issue that stops them from voting.

You don't know the far left then. They didn't vote for Clinton, and they won't vote for people like Kaine if they think he's not being "tough enough".

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:16 PM)
I agree with this. I want dems to obstruct everything they can during trump, but long term realistically the party that wins electoins should get a chance to implement policy. This whole "party wins on CHANGE" but then can't institute much, then gets voted out so that a group can actually do something, only they can't, is getting old.

but that's in normal world. We are in Trump world now, so anything that makes him ineffective is good, because when he is effective we end up with mass chaos in airports and grandmothers dying away from their families.

Travel ban is just a drop in the bucket. Insurers want to know what is going on next year and have given them 30 days. If they dont get any sort of clear cut answer, expect premiums to sky rocket.

Allies want to know what side of the fence we are on, etc.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
They need to get over themselves, just like the Jill Stein voters. Maybe one day there will be a different system, but for now its generally choice a or b, there is no magical c candidate behind the mystery door.

I agree, but they're LOUD and they have a lot of influence in social media unfortunately. Shaun King is one of these people. It's a problem.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
Well, and that was basically my point. If the far left is mad about the way the Democrats have acted over the last 2 weeks, as Reddy stated, then they have two options - get involved with the Democrats to try to pull them left, or continue to make the road easier for Trump and the Republicans (third party, staying home).

I'm not sure the second paragraph is right, however. We saw 2 Republicans defections on Devos. And there's a chance that somebody else will follow suit. Even if the Dems just succeed in knocking out Devos, they have accomplished something.

Well, I think they were right in that withholding support on all didn't matter. It didn't matter if they voted in the rest while trying to "single out" the egregiously underqualified candidates to put pressure on republicans to vote against. That happened anyway. It really isn't the left alone that is mobilized, not the left we are used to marching. There were straight up middle aged parents driving to Ohare on a saturday to be heard. This isn't a NATO protest crowd. It's not a minority pulling things around in the party. It's the whole shebang.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)
You don't know the far left then. They didn't vote for Clinton, and they won't vote for people like Kaine if they think he's not being "tough enough".

And that's why the far left continues to fail politically. If the far left wants to influence policy, they need to get involved in the Democratic Party because the Republicans will never align with their policy goals and staying home or voting Green just strengthens the Republicans.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)

And they have no one to blame but themselves. They may as well have voted Trump, and the sooner they realize that they were a part of the reason he won, the sooner that maybe some of this stuff can be fixed.

There is a time and a place to push your agenda. But when you have actual enemies at the door, you need to band together and fight the enemies. Otherwise you all end up dead.

If they havent learned that lesson, they are most likely hopeless anyways and there is no point in even attempting to court their vote.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
And that's why the far left continues to fail politically. If the far left wants to influence policy, they need to get involved in the Democratic Party because the Republicans will never align with their policy goals and staying home or voting Green just strengthens the Republicans.

Agreed. But they're pulling moderates to their cause. I have friends who were die-hard Hillary supporters who are now siding with Shaun King and his ilk. It ain't good.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
Well, I think they were right in that withholding support on all didn't matter. It didn't matter if they voted in the rest while trying to "single out" the egregiously underqualified candidates to put pressure on republicans to vote against. That happened anyway. It really isn't the left alone that is mobilized, not the left we are used to marching. There were straight up middle aged parents driving to Ohare on a saturday to be heard. This isn't a NATO protest crowd. It's not a minority pulling things around in the party. It's the whole shebang.

The second half of this post is a really important point. A lot of the people that participated in the women's march or protested at airports, or those who are just straight up jamming the phone lines of representatives are people who have never previously been politically active. If that portion of the Democrats stays politically active, the midterms could actually be kind of interesting.

Reddy 2006 was only 10 years ago, some of the more conservative dems ever won in 2006/2008. The "both parties are the saammmmee, MAAAN" far left crowd suddenly seems to be a lot more realistic when it's actually a republican in office. Remember Nader's vote tank in 04?

I am pretty confidnt that while we will see a bunch of primaries, it is not going to be kamikaze missions.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 09:21 PM)
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/07/opinion/...hopes.html?_r=1

brett were you really proud when Tom Cotton obstructed Cassandra Butts from getting her nominated position of ambassador to the Carribean to honor her as she battled leukemia, and Cotton put a hold on the nomination once he learned that Butts was friends with Obama and it would inflict personal pain on him? Butts died and was never appointed.

Or did they not go far enough there?

Cassandra Butts was too liberal.

Also, no person with leukemia has ever been given an ambassadorship. Totally unprecedented and unacceptable.

Also, her first nomination had to be held up because it was before the 2014 midterm elections and we needed to let the people decide.

Also, since her first nomination expired and expired things, like milk, are bad, her nomination was bad. He should have picked someone else.

Also, being nominated a second time is unfair, like double jeopardy. That's illegal.

Also, her second nomination stretched into the 2016 election cycle, so we really needed to wait to let the people decide.

Also, hurricane season had already started in the Caribbean so that's not an appropriate time to nominate someone anyway.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)
Agreed. But they're pulling moderates to their cause. I have friends who were die-hard Hillary supporters who are now siding with Shaun King and his ilk. It ain't good.

I think we might define the far left differently. Shaun King said back in June or July that he would be voting for Clinton. And Shaun King's causes are usually not that far out of line with the left side of the Democratic Party. The left wing of the party can attempt to push policy left while also voting for Democratic candidates who are up for office. I'm not sure why that would be mutually exclusive - and it certainly hasn't been mutually exclusive among those I know.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:28 PM)
The second half of this post is a really important point. A lot of the people that participated in the women's march or protested at airports, or those who are just straight up jamming the phone lines of representatives are people who have never previously been politically active. If that portion of the Democrats stays politically active, the midterms could actually be kind of interesting.

This is exactly what I have seen. Let me put it this way. In my entire life I have never voted for Democrat as President. I have voted for a couple for Governor/Senator/Rep over the years. I have actually worked on the campaigns of a few for local office. But if the alternative is another four years of Donald Trump, I will seriously consider voting for the Democratic candidate for President in 2020.

It won't really help in the mid terms as we have one of the most safe Democrats in the House in Pete Visclosky, plus anther Dem in the Senate in Joe Donnelly (who I have voted for in the past).

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
Reddy 2006 was only 10 years ago, some of the more conservative dems ever won in 2006/2008. The "both parties are the saammmmee, MAAAN" far left crowd suddenly seems to be a lot more realistic when it's actually a republican in office. Remember Nader's vote tank in 04?

I am pretty confidnt that while we will see a bunch of primaries, it is not going to be kamikaze missions.

Social media makes it a whole different ballgame IMO. But yeah, we'll see.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
I think we might define the far left differently. Shaun King said back in June or July that he would be voting for Clinton. And Shaun King's causes are usually not that far out of line with the left side of the Democratic Party. The left wing of the party can attempt to push policy left while also voting for Democratic candidates who are up for office. I'm not sure why that would be mutually exclusive - and it certainly hasn't been mutually exclusive among those I know.

Generally speaking, you're right. But don't characterize him as a Clinton supporter. It was a very big "hold my nose" vote and he was vocal about that. In the last couple days he has been calling to kick 14 Dem Senators out in their next elections. he's getting a lil crazy.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)
Social media makes it a whole different ballgame IMO. But yeah, we'll see.

My opinion is that this is just what happens when there is an actual threat in power, the left and conservative left suddenly find themselves always arguing together because the focus is on an opposition pushing policy that is certainly opposed to the whole group. In this case, add to that an absolute maniac as president.

But remove that, have a president in power that has policies that largely agree with one swath, and not with the other, and suddenly the fighting is about who gets to have the power base.

Remove that president, they both realize that either option is better than an insane person.

And this is just 10 days in. Imagine when we are on the verge of war over a tweet. We are relying on the sensibilities of the Iranians and North Koreans to not escalate when being provoked. Not a great situation.

Vice puts this into a little bit different perspective. The IB publication left out this line.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/apparent...e=vicetwitterus

That's not to say that Gorsuch—a lifelong conservative and the youngest SCOTUS nominee since Clarence Thomas—was actually flying the fascist flag as a freshman. The whole thing was mostly just a way to troll his left-leaning teachers.