Sox like where Davidson is headed

southsider2k5

I really liked the limited bit I saw of Davidson in person at spring training. Much more compact stroke. No idea if it will hold up, but it looked night and day from the Davidson I had seen over the past few years. I also should point out, he was clearly putting in work (spent a ton of time in the cages with one of the coaches and I wondered off and came back and he was still in the same spot while everyone else was long gone).

I'm glad he's doing well, but I can't take much from 30 spring training at bats when he's coming off two full years of failure. According to the scout in the article, he's apparently made mechanical changes so hopefully he's able to sustain a high-level of play, but I'd need at least a quarter of a season in AAA to believe he can contribute at the ML level.

No need for him to be the last spot on the bench. He can play 3B, maybe some 1B and some OF. That's fine and well. But I want him getting AB's down in AAA.

He does this through June 1 in AAA? Then bring him up. By that time Garcia might have given away his DH/OF role. If he is going to be up with the team I want him getting consistent AB's.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
I really liked the limited bit I saw of Davidson in person at spring training. Much more compact stroke. No idea if it will hold up, but it looked night and day from the Davidson I had seen over the past few years. I also should point out, he was clearly putting in work (spent a ton of time in the cages with one of the coaches and I wondered off and came back and he was still in the same spot while everyone else was long gone).

Thanks for those tidbits. He's probably realized that his MLB career is flashing in front of his eyes and will be gone with another mediocre (hard to even call last year mediocre honestly) year in AAA. He either shortens that stroke and hits for more average or he's a career AAAA guy.

How's his defense looking? I'm guessing it's Gillaspie like in that it's passable when he's hitting but if he's not you can't deal.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
I dunno but Lance Broadway has apparently transitioned to a fairly successful film career. Some people got all the genetic luck. Not only did he have a helluva arm he also looks like a Norse God in his IMDB photos.

The name is much more fitting for acting.

Davidson always was an imperfect prospect, but IMO the main reason he hasn't been the starting 3B for the past 2 years is all because he collapsed emotionally after not making the team out of ST when we traded for him. On one hand, that means he could turn it around at any point. On the other, it means he may be too mentally fragile to ever be counted on.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
Davidson always was an imperfect prospect, but IMO the main reason he hasn't been the starting 3B for the past 2 years is all because he collapsed emotionally after not making the team out of ST when we traded for him. On one hand, that means he could turn it around at any point. On the other, it means he may be too mentally fragile to ever be counted on.

Maybe, but people tend to become more emotionally tough as they mature.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
Hopefully the adjustments help him, but to think it will cut his k's way back and increase his homers is about as likely as Thad Bosley giving JR a compliment.

Oh I'll give someone their just due faster than Grant took Richmond, Dick Allen - believe you, me!

Now it's true, it's quite difficult for me to come up with a compliment for the 'ol bloke as it relates to his results as owner of the Chicago White Sox baseball franchise. You know, that whole "his teams have only made it to the postseason in 5 of the 35 years he's been at the helm" business? Remember all of that? Hard to find a compliment to hand over to him based on that abysmal track record.

However, as far as I can tell, he does seem to be a good husband & father, and from all accounts appears to be generous when contributing to charity. And when it comes to cigar smoking, I defy you to find a more expert chomper on a cigar than he. In fact, while I can't prove it, I'll bet he has exquisite taste in cigars, and that is a noteworthy quality for anyone to have!

:D

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
Oh I'll give someone their just due faster than Grant took Richmond, Dick Allen - believe you, me! Now it's true, it's quite difficult for me to come up with a compliment for the 'ol bloke as it relates to his results as owner of the Chicago White Sox baseball franchise. You know, that whole "his teams have only made it to the postseason in 5 of the 35 years he's been at the helm" business? Remember all of that? Hard to find a compliment to hand over to him based on that abysmal track record. However, as far as I can tell, he does seem to be a good husband & father, and from all accounts appears to be generous when contributing to charity. And when it comes to cigar smoking, I defy you to find a more expert chomper on a cigar than he. In fact, while I can't prove it, I'll bet he has exquisite taste in cigars, and that is a noteworthy quality for anyone to have!

:D

with ref to JR, there are 2 JR's here. JR the sports fan and JR the business owner.

the 2 shall never meet, no matter what anyone wants to thinks or come up with an excuse for him, and i will stand by that with the shear luck of the WS win.

he first priority will always be business and his image in the community perception is the biggest part of his persona.

ref to sports, well i will not talk about that. b/c no one knows the true side of this.