article on Danks tipping pitches and mechanics.

Whisox05

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 11:16 PM)
Can we get a garbage Twins player from last season so he can tell Chris Sale how he was tipping his pitches against them last year?

Arcia! He's having a bad Spring but if he goes on waivers we can claim him since there's room on the 40. Get intel, and then waive him haha

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
Tipping bis pitches doesn't hide the fact that he has sucked due to his loss of velocity.

when has velocity ever equated to wins for him? he's not a power pitcher. and similar to Buehrle, Danks' success has ALWAYS been centered around his ability to locate pitches.

he can throw 89-90 for all i care as long as he's in control. that's where he's going to see success.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 08:57 AM)
when has velocity ever equated to wins for him? he's not a power pitcher. and similar to Buehrle, Danks' success has ALWAYS been centered around his ability to locate pitches.

he can throw 89-90 for all i care as long as he's in control. that's where he's going to see success.

Really his success has seemed to hinge on whether he has his changeup working and locating well.

Danks never threw huge gas. Maybe 92 or 93 on occasion. Even during his heyday, he always was susceptible to the beyond horrid outings. I don't know if he truly was tipping pitches or this is just coincidence. Hopefully he can put up a decent year. He will still have some good games, and some when he looks like a Soxtalk poster on the mound.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 08:09 AM)
I hope Danks has a great year. It doesn't help us to see him struggle and the more backup Sale has, the better for us. Let's hope they're right.

it's "technically" a contract year for Danks, so if he wants to continue playing ball for the remaining part of his career you would think we'll see the best of him this year.

i'm sure Hahn/Jerry can't wait to see that $15.75M come off the books though.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
Really his success has seemed to hinge on whether he has his changeup working and locating well.

His key has always been staying on top of his change up, and getting good downward motion on it. If he hangs it, it gets killed.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
it's "technically" a contract year for Danks, so if he wants to continue playing ball for the remaining part of his career you would think we'll see the best of him this year.

i'm sure Hahn/Jerry can't wait to see that $15.75M come off the books though.

He also becomes a 5/10 guy after this season. So if he's good enough to earn a decent contract, it won't be with the White Sox.

The crazy thing is Danks could pitch for years more if he wants. As a lefty who throws close to 200 IP a year, and puts up 5th starter type numbers, that has some solid value in today's MLB. Look at the contract JA Happ got this off season. While he wont make what he does not, there is no reason to think with another year like he has been putting up, John Danks will have a job pretty much as long as he wants it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
He also becomes a 5/10 guy after this season. So if he's good enough to earn a decent contract, it won't be with the White Sox.

hence the reason i prefaced all this with it being a "contract" type year for him. if he performs i think he plays himself onto another team in 2017.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 07:13 AM)
Danks never threw huge gas. Maybe 92 or 93 on occasion. Even during his heyday, he always was susceptible to the beyond horrid outings. I don't know if he truly was tipping pitches or this is just coincidence. Hopefully he can put up a decent year. He will still have some good games, and some when he looks like a Soxtalk poster on the mound.

While he certainly is impacted by lower velocity, I do agree with all of your points. I think a big part of Danks is his mechanics are not overly clean and easily repeatable, hence why when he doesn't have it, he has a hard time getting it back and is more susceptible to those higher scoring games. When his mechanics are off, his command is off and everything is up. When you don't throw much velocity and you are up in the zone, you are going to get hammered.

It was a nice sign that we saw a bounce back in velocity last year (as it does give a bit more margin for error) but the bigger thing is if he can clean up some of his mechanical issues as it should allow him to be more consistent (hopefully consistently solid).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
The crazy thing is Danks could pitch for years more if he wants. As a lefty who throws close to 200 IP a year, and puts up 5th starter type numbers, that has some solid value in today's MLB. Look at the contract JA Happ got this off season. While he wont make what he does not, there is no reason to think with another year like he has been putting up, John Danks will have a job pretty much as long as he wants it.

He has Pittsburgh written all over him next year.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Mar 24, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
FA starting pitching doesn't look good next year. Some one will overpay Danks just for the innings he will put up and if he hovers around an ERA of 4 he will probably get 3-5 years.

Agree. Look at what guys worse/just about as good as him have gotten over last few years. If he pitches decent, he may be looking at anywhere between a 3-5 year deal. May be worth extending a QO to him.