I love Hawk Harrelson

That is all.

But seriously, I really do like Hawk. His schtick can get excessive at times, but I’ve grown to appreciate him even more after hearing Benetti the past few weeks.

I will be very sad when he retires.

and yes, I know this thread isn’t necessary but I’m bored as hell at school so bare with me.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he isn't the guy he was even 5 years ago as an announcer, but he is quite literally the soundtrack to many of my favorite baseball memories. I am really sad to know he is phasing out. That emotion in the booth is a dying breed, and it is one of the things unique about Hawk. He was happy when I was happy. He was sad when I was sad. He was pissed off when I was pissed off. I am going to miss that.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
That is all.

But seriously, I really do like Hawk. His schtick can get excessive at times, but I’ve grown to appreciate him even more after hearing Benetti the past few weeks.

and yes, I know this thread isn’t necessary but I’m bored as hell at school so bare with me.

Nice man. Yea it's becoming way too trendy to bash Hawk. The man has done so much for this organization and people just want to cast him out. What did he ever do to you? His catchphrases are used all over the nation & all the players love him. Sure he's overdone a few things the last few years, but that's only because we've heard them for decades. I guarantee there are youngsters every game hearing stuff for the first time from Hawk- I used to be one. Let him be. It's not like he's flashing his genitals on the screen yet. I say yet because I can't wait; that'll be hilarious.

I also like Hawk. But I can also see (hear) that he's not the same announcer he was. He's more emotional, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but his anger sometimes permeates through and there ends up being uncomfortable conversations with Stone or long silences. But when things are good on the field (which are not as often as they used to be), Hawk is a lot more fun. I'll miss hearing him for half the games this year and eventually at all soon.

However, I have to say that I like Jason, too. He and Stone seems to have a really good rapport. I'm interested to hear how he sounds when he's talking about games that count.

I also love Hawk, and I'm going to miss him when it's over.

Love him or hate him, he's OUR Harry Carey. He was the voice of a generation of White Sox fans, and despite the fact he's a total homer, he's OUR homer. He announced for us, with near complete bias in doing so. And I love him for it.

His historic run in baseball is coming to an end...and when all is said and done, and all I have left is the memories, both annoying and not, I'll remember him with a fondness that's missing from a lot of sports today.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
I am too young to remember Hawk from his early Sox broadcasting years. Was he ever considered a great broadcaster or was he always a homer?

Why is being a homer the opposite of a great broadcaster?

I really don't understand White Sox fans complaining about Hawk being a homer. So what. I do remember people complaining that Joe Buck wasn't excited enough when the Sox won the World Series.

What do you want a homer, or someone neutral?

On a local broadcast, I want a homer every time. Besides, these guys travel with the team, are with the team all the time. If they couldn't care less if the won or not, what would that say about the players?

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
I am too young to remember Hawk from his early Sox broadcasting years. Was he ever considered a great broadcaster or was he always a homer?

He's been a homer as long as I've been watching (since the early '90s).

Here's a pretty epic rant by him fairly early on his career. In his defense this was a pretty terrible call.

I think the problem w some "homer" announcers is they at times give you wrong information. I watch Tampa and Boston games during the season and both sets of announcers give an actual account of the game not what they see through tinted glasses. I cannot take a Celtics broadcast. Mike Gorman the play by play is great and has been for years. He took the place of Johhnie Most who gave a very slanted version of what you see. The present day color man is Tommy Heinsohn who is awful. Gorman continually corrects his numerous "homer" views.

For a team's core fans the homer is fine. For the casual fan they are very distracting.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
I am a Hawk guy. I think Jason will be fine, but I kind of appreciate them doing it this way. I can get used to Jason and still have a bit of Hawk, hopefully for at least a couple more years.

I agree. I think it will be like any new job for anyone. You start out conservative and quite and defer to the long time employees at first. Once you get used to the environment and learn how far you can push the boundaries with the old guard, you get more comfortable. This is when his personality will come out.

As soon as I saw the thread title I knew you made this thread mike haha. Anyways I'll always appreciate hawk and all but just don't like him anymore. I really dislike how he ignores things that stone says and how he gets quiet and certain things like kc special is tiring. I understand he's a big fan, a homer but he needs to be a bit more professional, when they're losing. Love Benetti and stone

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
That is all.

But, I don't want to get naked... :unsure:

Hawk was good until he lost the ability to be impartial in any way shape or form and then began just saying things that were flat wrong and stupid.

Last year in game one he felt he White Sox had the best defensive outfield in baseball and was telling the viewer how incredible their base running was going to be because of Vince Coleman.

Anyone that has watched baseball had to have known that an outfield with Avasail Garcia in it was going to be bad.

He adds nothing to the broadcast any longer.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
Hawk was good until he lost the ability to be impartial in any way shape or form and then began just saying things that were flat wrong and stupid.

Last year in game one he felt he White Sox had the best defensive outfield in baseball and was telling the viewer how incredible their base running was going to be because of Vince Coleman.

Anyone that has watched baseball had to have known that an outfield with Avasail Garcia in it was going to be bad.

He adds nothing to the broadcast any longer.

This saddens me because I can't say it's wrong.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
This saddens me because I can't say it's wrong.

Love the Hawk and love he is a HOMER. Homers in baseball unlike other sports announcers make the game more interesting IMO. Hope he sticks around. He is a White Sock unlike Stone. Not a fan of Stone but he knows his stuff for sure.

Being a homer is fine - whenever I tend to call sporting events I end up having a bit of a homer-ish tone to my announcing.

The problem is you can't be homerish to the point of being wrong half the time, which is what Hawk has become.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
Being a homer is fine - whenever I tend to call sporting events I end up having a bit of a homer-ish tone to my announcing.

The problem is you can't be homerish to the point of being wrong half the time, which is what Hawk has become.

I think most of that is just shtick. He knows what's going on. Before he came to the White Sox, he actually got into a lot of trouble in Boston for calling out ownership and "telling it like it is". He still has a bit of a cult hero status in Boston, and when the White Sox visit there, goes on sports radio pretty often. There he gives a pretty blunt description of the White Sox. If they suck, he will say they suck.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)

Exactly. He's an embarrassment and is actively hurting the marketing and branding of White Sox baseball. In his prime he was an asset to the org as a distinct voice but now he's just an old, easily confused, often wrong voice. And a loud one at that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
I think most of that is just shtick. He knows what's going on. Before he came to the White Sox, he actually got into a lot of trouble in Boston for calling out ownership and "telling it like it is". He still has a bit of a cult hero status in Boston, and when the White Sox visit there, goes on sports radio pretty often. There he gives a pretty blunt description of the White Sox. If they suck, he will say they suck.

Ok.