I love Hawk Harrelson

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect Hawk for what he was in his prime as a broadcaster, but he needs to be done. Hawk since about '07 has completely phoned it in. I look forward to not having to watch the opposing feed out of pure embarrassment for Hawk's silliness.

And Benetti is 10 times the announcer Hawk is now.

I didn't really get to watch Sox games until getting MLB.TV for the 2006 season, not having even WGN where I lived. And only having one other friend who's a Sox guy, I definitely came to love and appreciate Hawk's homerish ways. Like people have said, it feels like you're watching the game with another Sox fan which is huge when you don't have other Sox fans to watch games with.

Civil War: I'm with Hawk.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 10:22 PM)
Hawk is a character. Virtually all other broadcasters in baseball are pointless, worthless, flavorless and devoid of personality. They suck. They're grown in a laboratory in Orlando. They're if khaki pants could talk. They are audience-tested by the corporation. They are not people. They are not interesting. They suck. Cubs are unwatchable.

You can dislike some of what Hawk does, and I'll agree it gets way worse when the team sucks (3 straight seasons). But good god, give me anyone with a personality over the Len Kasper/Chip Careys of the world.

If they gave reps here I'd give you as many as I could.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
Hawk is a character. Virtually all other broadcasters in baseball are pointless, worthless, flavorless and devoid of personality. They suck. They're grown in a laboratory in Orlando. They're if khaki pants could talk. They are audience-tested by the corporation. They are not people. They are not interesting. They suck. Cubs are unwatchable.

You can dislike some of what Hawk does, and I'll agree it gets way worse when the team sucks (3 straight seasons). But good god, give me anyone with a personality over the Len Kasper/Chip Careys of the world.

:notworthy

Legitimately one of the best posts I've read on this site. Lost it at if khaki pants could talk.

People who let their personality out in jobs like Harrelson are always going to be hated by some.

Just like Dick Vitale, John Madden, Gus Johnson ect.

Sure you can be the safe "khaki pants" speaking, which some here seem to prefer.

But If I watching a white sox game I prefer "homer" announcers... If I'm looking for a different perspective I'll listen to the royals announcers or Twins announcers on foxsports KC,North, ect.

Hawk isn't perfect.. but at least he doesn't take an innately boring game and make it more boring like 90% of the announcers do.

absolutely love hawk. Will tremendously miss him when he goes. I'm 31 years old and hes been the only voice of my favorite team I've ever known. I love the personality, I love the homerism. I love the stories about the old players. Even if many or most of them are embellished, don't you sort of want that? There's a romantic quality about baseball where guys get made into Tall Tales in a way and become legendary for it. IMO Hawk helps perpetuate that.

Does he make mistakes and say stupid things in the booth? Of course. But he's broadcasting the baseball game I'm watching. He's not managing my retirement funds or diagnosing disease.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (harkness @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:34 PM)
People who let their personality out in jobs like Harrelson are always going to be hated by some.

Just like Dick Vitale, John Madden, Gus Johnson ect.

Sure you can be the safe "khaki pants" speaking, which some here seem to prefer.

But If I watching a white sox game I prefer "homer" announcers... If I'm looking for a different perspective I'll listen to the royals announcers or Twins announcers on foxsports KC,North, ect.

Hawk isn't perfect.. but at least he doesn't take an innately boring game and make it more boring like 90% of the announcers do.

Who hates Gus Johnson?

The difference between Gus Johnson and Hawk and Vitale is Hawk and Vitale blatantly make things up. Gus Johnson is extremely listenable, whereas Hawk and Vitale are complete garbage at this stage in their career.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 08:26 AM)
absolutely love hawk. Will tremendously miss him when he goes. I'm 31 years old and hes been the only voice of my favorite team I've ever known. I love the personality, I love the homerism. I love the stories about the old players. Even if many or most of them are embellished, don't you sort of want that? There's a romantic quality about baseball where guys get made into Tall Tales in a way and become legendary for it. IMO Hawk helps perpetuate that.

Does he make mistakes and say stupid things in the booth? Of course. But he's broadcasting the baseball game I'm watching. He's not managing my retirement funds or diagnosing disease.

This. It's a freaking baseball game for crying out loud. He's not a school teacher. He's not a professor. He's a baseball announcer. If I wanna learn more about the game I'd do more research.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 07:26 AM)

Terrific post! My sentiments exactly.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)
Who hates Gus Johnson?

The difference between Gus Johnson and Hawk and Vitale is Hawk and Vitale blatantly make things up. Gus Johnson is extremely listenable, whereas Hawk and Vitale are complete garbage at this stage in their career.

Onions!

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Who hates Gus Johnson?

I hate Gus Johnson. That guy screams far too much

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Who hates Gus Johnson?

Gus Johnson is awful. He feigns emotion far too much. It's difficult for me to watch anything he's a part of.

I'll also never forgive him for calling Indiana's assembly hall "The house of paign" before an Illinois @ Indiana basketball game a few years back. Way to fail at google, Gus.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
I love Jason Benetti.

Love Hawk and always will, but Benetti is a breath of fresh air.

I'm hoping that as he settles into the role he'll show some more Kevin Harlan-esque excitement, but right now he's doing fantastic.