Greatest Opening Day Moments in White Sox History

Quin

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
Revolutionary War music, streakers, a no-hitter and Mark Buehrle's magic.

The Sox have had some interesting Opening Days.

http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2016/04/g...te-sox-history/

i am not going to deny that the sox should have some really outstanding moments for the opening day game.

but for one that i was there, was in the April 9, 1993, the moment is classic and which i think endeared him to the chi .... fans, and media alike.

6th inning and some really reclamation project went in the pitch hit. his name is Bo Jackson and he took the ball yard, over the yanks and won the game.

that moment was the BEST for me.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
i am not going to deny that the sox should have some really outstanding moments for the opening day game.

but for one that i was there, was in the April 9, 1993, the moment is classic and which i think endeared him to the chi .... fans, and media alike.

6th inning and some really reclamation project went in the pitch hit. his name is Bo Jackson and he took the ball yard, over the yanks and won the game.

Actually despite Bo's home run the Sox got blown out that afternoon, 11-6.

Mark

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)

dang, i was wrong on the sox winning. then witch game was it where bo came off the bench and did the same thing, and they showed the excitement in the dugout.

it even showed T. Rainse intimating how Bo ran the bases in the big screen.

April 15, 1951, St. Louis

Former White Sox manager Paul Richards.

Former White Sox manager Paul Richards.

The dawn of the “Golden Era” of White Sox baseball began with a 17-3 destruction of the Bill Veeck owned St. Louis Browns.

Manager Paul Richards unveiled the “Go-Go Sox,” who’d go on to have 17 consecutive winning seasons relying on terrific pitching, great defense and blinding speed. In seven of those 17 years the Sox would win more than 90 games.

That last line should actually read 90 or more games because there's one year where they won exactly 90 games.

Anyway, having looked up the records it's amazing how many years the Sox didn't make the playoffs simply because the Yankees were better. Of course that streak of winning seasons stopped right around the time they added the East/West divisions to each league.

The Sox have never taken advantage of MLB adding to the number teams that can make it to the playoffs. They've never won the WC and even with a second WC now added, they still haven't managed it.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
That last line should actually read 90 or more games because there's one year where they won exactly 90 games.

Anyway, having looked up the records it's amazing how many years the Sox didn't make the playoffs simply because the Yankees were better. Of course that streak of winning seasons stopped right around the time they added the East/West divisions to each league.

The Sox have never taken advantage of MLB adding to the number teams that can make it to the playoffs. They've never won the WC and even with a second WC now added, they still haven't managed it.

very true.

Mark

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 06:28 PM)

i still keep harping on the 90-93, including the 93 season. man what a team, if only the sox would have gone out and gotten another key player, esp at pitching. dang.....

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
I was at Opening Day 2005. 1-0 victory by Mark Buehrle that foreshadowed how the team would win all year long.

Me too. That game was super quick, a typical MB start.

Illinois lost the NC to UNC that night. My ex tried to console me by saying, "maybe the White Sox will win the World Series." I laughed.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)

I totally appreciate the modern era's playoffs with more teams allowed in. That was BS back in the old days with only one team from each league going to the World Series.