NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 23, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
Almost every Illinois fan I talk to wants Nunn off the team.

He's expendable with JCL. And frankly he's just an average big ten player. He shows flashes but isn't consistent.

Ask those same Illinois fans about Black and I bet it's a different answer. They need another front court player and Black still has potential to be a good one.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
Dee Brown abruptly leaves the Illinois program for "personal reasons" regarding his family. Very odd. Wonder what happened.

Hope all is well with him and his family, I gotta imagine it's pretty big for him to resign.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
Does Tilmon stay? Assumed a Dee was a major part of his commitment.

Yes, he stays.

Illinois in the final 2 for Abu Kigab with Oregon.

Illinois in the final 3 for Kris Wilkes with UCLA and IU.

Oregon leads for Kigab I believe, and there is a bit of small hope for Wilkes. It'll be interesting.

Mayan Kiir also visited recently too. Which would be a huge get.

While I agree with his premise, I don't think his solution is the right answer. A flagrant foul is a bit excessive, and I do think that the defender has a right to the space if he legitimately establishes position. You would be putting defenders in positions where they have to feebly swipe at the ball or go vertical, and someone like James Harden will shoot even more FT's than he already does. They just need to call a block consistently when the help player is sliding in and not already established.

I'm really confused by the people who think Illinois will finish 11th or 12th in the league. Perhaps it's my blind homerism, but I see a team with a conference player of the year, first team all big ten talent, a guy that shoots lights out from 3, two 6th year seniors (one of whom has had some success in the big ten in the past), and then a bunch of good athletes.

Assuming they're healthy, I don't see how or why Illinois should finish worse than 7th. Teams that are absolutely better: Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State. Everyone else is a big ?. Michigan lost its best player. Maryland has Trimble and a bunch of new guys. OSU is young. Penn State is young. Iowa will rely on Jok and young guys.

I dunno. I see a deeper team with more "proven" talent than a lot of teams. Are people just assuming that last year was indicative of what will happen this year? Seems short sighted given Groce was missing 3/5th's of his starting line up and could barely play 7-8 guys.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 14, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
I'm really confused by the people who think Illinois will finish 11th or 12th in the league. Perhaps it's my blind homerism, but I see a team with a conference player of the year, first team all big ten talent, a guy that shoots lights out from 3, two 6th year seniors (one of whom has had some success in the big ten in the past), and then a bunch of good athletes.

Assuming they're healthy, I don't see how or why Illinois should finish worse than 7th. Teams that are absolutely better: Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State. Everyone else is a big ?. Michigan lost its best player. Maryland has Trimble and a bunch of new guys. OSU is young. Penn State is young. Iowa will rely on Jok and young guys.

I dunno. I see a deeper team with more "proven" talent than a lot of teams. Are people just assuming that last year was indicative of what will happen this year? Seems short sighted given Groce was missing 3/5th's of his starting line up and could barely play 7-8 guys.

I really feel like after the alleged "top 5 teams" most media dont even look into the other teams. They just randomly write them based on blurbs they see on the internet.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 14, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)

But when it happens, it will be the referees fault ;)

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 10:24 PM)
about time for that hilton magic

when are we gonna schedule that illinois-iowa state home and home?

So eager to beat up on us again? :D

You guys got a really good recruit in Terrence Lewis, if we had known Goodwin wasn't coming to Illinois he would've been a priority recruit for us.