NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)
It's pretty impressive how big of a piece of s*** Grayson Allen is.

he is a 3 year old kid trapped in a 20-something year old's body.

the constant tripping, the crying outburst a couple games back and now this. Something isnt right with him mentally.

I don't like GA either but I didn't see much in that last night. Even the coach that got pushed squashed it as no big deal. Maybe because his team won so big and he's just being a good sport.

Game of the Year tonight! Salukis hosting Redbirds!

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
I don't like GA either but I didn't see much in that last night. Even the coach that got pushed squashed it as no big deal. Maybe because his team won so big and he's just being a good sport.

Game of the Year tonight! Salukis hosting Redbirds!

Go Dawgs! If they win tonight, I might actually let myself think they could be top 4 in the conference. Birds haven't won in Carbondale since 2013, and they are 7 pt favorites. Southern still without Fletcher. Should be fun!

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
Illinois with a chance to start 2-2 in the Big Ten with a win tonight. I honestly thought 0-4 was a possibility and 1-3 was likely. Sadly, the program has fallen so f***ing low, I would gladly take 2-2.

Certainly looks like a tourney team with Tejon and Kipper in the rotation.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
Bruce Weber begs to differ.

You knew Weber was going to be a rough tenure when he followed the National Championship appearance with top recruits like Trent Meacham. Trent was a fine player, but he wasn't going to get you far.

BIG 10 looks wide open...but definitely no dominant teams. Except for Rutgers, you have pretty good depth, but not much in terms of high quality.

You've got a top tier of Wisconsin, Michigan St., MSU, Minnesota (for now) and Purdue.

And Purdue has been pretty disappointing recently.

Iowa really should be 4-1 in the conference (NUMEROUS chances to win at Nebraska but they're still last in conference RPI, 119th before the game tonight). Starting four freshman, just wish they had one more year with Jok to gel together but he's graduating, unfortunately.

Then you have NW, Illinois and Nebraska all roughly in the same neighborhood (could be in, could be out).

Finally, Indiana's strange season...along with major disappointments in Columbus and Ann Arbor.

Nice win over Purdue. I can't say Iowa should be 4-1 cause they could have just as easily lost the Michigan game (which went to OT) or even this Purdue game (heck, the ball went out on Iowa, maybe not totally definitive to overturn, so Purdue should have been shooting with Iowa up 1 vs. Iowa up 3 as time was expiring). It is too bad Jok isn't around another year. If he was, my eyes would be exstatic over what next year could do for the Hawkeyes. That said, this team is going to have some tough / bad losses due to inexperience, but they have been enjoyable to watch (I didn't watch much of them until big 10 play started).

Michigan is trash. CJ Wilson is good and Wagner has potential, but their seniors stink. I like Walton but something is up with him and Irvin is another top recruit flop. Makes 1-9 from 3's but you know when he makes that 1, he'll celebrate like he won the game.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
Michigan is trash. CJ Wilson is good and Wagner has potential, but their seniors stink. I like Walton but something is up with him and Irvin is another top recruit flop. Makes 1-9 from 3's but you know when he makes that 1, he'll celebrate like he won the game.

Not as bad as OSU. I bet we fire our coach first.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
Not as bad as OSU. I bet we fire our coach first.

If he resigns, it doesn't count in the bet.

Michigan ain't firing Beilein. I can't even watch them. Hand off, ball screen, dribble around arc.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
If he resigns, it doesn't count in the bet.

Michigan ain't firing Beilein. I can't even watch them. Hand off, ball screen, dribble around arc.

You are complaining about the wrong thing with respect to Beilein. He is a fantastic offensive coach and Michigan is damn good offensively this year despite not being loaded with talent. Defensively they are a complete disaster and they have pretty much never been good on that end during Beilein's tenure.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
You are complaining about the wrong thing with respect to Beilein. He is a fantastic offensive coach and Michigan is damn good offensively this year despite not being loaded with talent. Defensively they are a complete disaster and they have pretty much never been good on that end during Beilein's tenure.

I was thinking the same thing, their defense vs Illinois was about as bad as I've seen.

Iowa State with a f***ing trash effort at TCU. Never deserved to win the game but dear lord Deonte Brton was garbage.

That said I will not be surprised to see them beat a #1 Kansas team on Monday. Hilton Magic is the only real magic and I hope it's enough to overcome s***ty post defense.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 10:10 PM)
Meanwhile, Greg McDermott and Creighton have a secret juggernaut in the Midwest.

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/blog/greg-m...2581422f46.html

And the big question, will Northwestern FINALLY make the NCAA Tourney?

Creighton maybe without Watson now.

Pulling for NW. Scott Lindsay has been great. They need to beat Wisconsin or Purdue at least once and get to b10 semis? What's non conference schedule look like?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 10:10 PM)
Iowa sucks again.

ISU's glory days are gone.

Meanwhile, Greg McDermott and Creighton have a secret juggernaut in the Midwest.

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/blog/greg-m...2581422f46.html

And the big question, will Northwestern FINALLY make the NCAA Tourney?

Iowa looks like they are a year ahead of schedule to be completely honest. They were thought to have Jok and who else? They aren't a tourney team but I can't imagine they thought they would have some of the wins they did. Extremely volatility, as should be expected with a young squad.

ISU plays one of the shortest lineups in all of the power conferences and it is burning them. Holberg's lack of big man recruiting before he left and two big man recruits for Prohm not being eligible at the beginning of the season has made it extremely difficult to guard down low during Big 12 play. Also, apparently, Georges Niang was that good.

It's funny seeing McDermott doing this at Creighton, I always thought he could coach but wasn't a fit at ISU.

--

Also the Big 12 is weird