NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
lol

Who knows, Wisconsin has been struggling the last few games.

It seemed like they couldn't score when NU doubled Happ. Granted they missed a few open looks, but they need to work on getting Hayes going when that happens.

I didn't see the MD-Northwestern game but the loss of Lindsey is killing them despite what they did at Wisconsin. Apparently there is a risk Lindsey's spleen could rupture from contact due to the mono if he comes back too soon. That's scary.

Edited by OnlyGillis

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 08:56 PM)
So I've been told the board at OSU has determined Thad has built up enough credibility that they are gonna allow him to rebuild the program after his horrendous classes the last few years.

I agree. But I'm sure many don't.

Yea not sure if I agree with it, OSU has fallen pretty damn hard. And it's not like he's got a great class coming in, and while he has early 2018 commits they aren't stellar either (though Bazley looks like a good pickup). I'll admit I have very little info on them but you have a 17 PG rater in the 300s and the 2 2018 players committed in the 100s, that doesn't inspire confidence.

Maybe you have a better pulse on the situation there, but on the outside he looks toast. And that sucks because I've really respected Thad.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 09:31 PM)
I thought the talk was that Thad might hang em up due to his back(?)

---

Also, Iowa State's in second place in the Big 12, but yet we have fans thinking that a coaching change would be good for some reason.

Are they really? You guys have a couple bad losses but that's a fine season for Iowa St so far. Is it just Hoiberg hangover?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 09:40 PM)
Are they really? You guys have a couple bad losses but that's a fine season for Iowa St so far. Is it just Hoiberg hangover?

I think so. I mean we only had to replace the guy that won the award for college power forward of the year....fans act like this is the first year we've ever lost road games. Actually we have a better road record in conference than most years. I think our fans think we suck on offense.

KenPom Offensive Efficiency:

2012: 24

2013: 8

2014: 10

2015: 12

2016: 7

2017: 30

Guess which four years we had one of the best forwards in college basketball?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 08:56 PM)
So I've been told the board at OSU has determined Thad has built up enough credibility that they are gonna allow him to rebuild the program after his horrendous classes the last few years.

I agree. But I'm sure many don't.

He built the program up into something respectable and even dominant for a few years. I think he's earned the right to have a couple of bad seasons. The key is to not hold on to him for too long. Give him one more season to recruit and see what the future can be.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 08:14 AM)
The conference did change a bit 3 years ago but in their last 150 conference games in the Big East, DePaul is 21-129.

I wonder if their new arena will do anything for them.

Is there any school around that gets less talent from an area with so much of a talent base? How can they never convince anyone to stay in Chicago?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
Is there any school around that gets less talent from an area with so much of a talent base? How can they never convince anyone to stay in Chicago?

I think having the arena where it was definitely was a negative impact. Having the athletic facilities so far away as well as not having nearly as nice ones as other schools do is part of the reason. If you took a visit and Depaul was by FAR the worst facility you see, you cut them off your list right away. They arent even in the same neighborhood as even mid tier big ten schools.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 08:14 AM)
The conference did change a bit 3 years ago but in their last 150 conference games in the Big East, DePaul is 21-129.

I wonder if their new arena will do anything for them.

I was at the Allstate a few weeks ago for a show, it's funny seeing all of the banners up. Lots of NCAA appearances and Sweet 16 in the 1970s-1980s. Then the the 1990s and 2000s, lucky to see a few NIT banners, and that's about it.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 26, 2017 -> 11:01 PM)
Illinois has Michigan State at home and Rutgers on the road left. If they can win those 2 games, that puts them at 19-12 and 9-9 in conference.

If they can win 1 in the BTT, they could very well get in the tourney

I don't think they'll take 8 from the Big 10 even though 8 or 9 are good enough to go. Illinois is in the high 50s right now. If they win the last 2, they'll probably be in the 8-9 game and a win won't buy them much there.

Edited by OnlyGillis

QUOTE (OnlyGillis @ Feb 26, 2017 -> 10:34 PM)
I don't think they'll take 8 from the Big 10 even though 8 or 9 are good enough to go. Illinois is in the high 50s right now. If they win the last 2, they'll probably be in the 8-9 game and a win won't buy them much there.

It helps that KSU and TCU have completely imploded.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
This Iowa team has been bumpy, but man they have surprised me. Huge win against the Terps and while they have had their losing streaks, including getting swept by the Illini, they continue to respond. The young freshmen came up huge against Maryland.

I love their freshmen and sophs. They played really well when Jok was hurt so I wouldn't be surprised if they contend for first next year.