NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 18, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
Great hire from Illinois.

First order of business is to keep Walker, then keep these recruits.

Walker is staying. Already talked to Underwood apparently. Huge. Should keep the whole class and wouldn't be surprised if they add Smith.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 18, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
Very good coach, it's definitely an upgrade but not sure he can recruit Chicago

I'm honestly not worried about that with a coach that has an identity and doesn't rely on better talent to win. He needs to find his players, and have recruiters who can help land them. It was also interesting that the Mac Irvin Fire twitter account supported this move, didn't really expect them to.

Walker is being retained, so that should help. Still wouldn't mind Heirman.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 19, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)
I'm thinking of starting a go-fund-me to put a hit out on the singer and everyone that wrote/shot/had anything to do with the DirecTV March Madness commercials. Anyone else interested?

Every year there's some commercial that just makes me want to hurt everyone involved with it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
So Alford can't be believed but the lawyer for the victim is a neutral source?

And, unfortunately, many innocent people agree to plea deals. Alford was lied to. He believed his player. You can't fault him for that. The only thing that killed Alford in Iowa wasn't that the kid did this, he basically did it again. If he didn't have the second problem, he still may be coaching the Hawkeyes.

Dan Bernstein, the guy who talks about female sport's reporters chest sizes as the moral police is a bit rich.

How about this source? There are others as well: http://www.espn.com/espnw/news-commentary/...-rooted-reality

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 19, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
Every year there's some commercial that just makes me want to hurt everyone involved with it.

I was about to lose my mind with the state farm chainsmokers commercial.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
All that really says is Alford believed his player.

No it doesn't. It says that Alford indirectly through Athletes in Action, tried to squash the whole thing and make the victim recant her statement. They tried to make the girl pray about it and even meet with Pierce to talk about it. It's disgusting. He didn't just "believe his player". He went to extreme lengths to try and discredit the victim so that Pierce could continue playing basketball at Iowa.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 19, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)
I'm thinking of starting a go-fund-me to put a hit out on the singer and everyone that wrote/shot/had anything to do with the DirecTV March Madness commercials. Anyone else interested?

I think it's hilarious how the Purdue guy is working a toll booth. What an insult to Boiler grads.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 08:29 PM)
Werner tweeted out some news only for premium members. Anyone got a summary of it?

Mizzou wants Tilmon/Walker. Illinois might hire La Lumiere coach and Bowen would come with but Underwood wants a coach with a longer resume because they have the biggest assistant pool in the B1G. Some pretty big names being floated for the last 2 assistant jobs. Underwood bringing 1 guy with. Walker likely to stay but not confirmed.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)
Mizzou wants Tilmon/Walker. Illinois might hire La Lumiere coach and Bowen would come with but Underwood wants a coach with a longer resume because they have the biggest assistant pool in the B1G. Some pretty big names being floated for the last 2 assistant jobs. Underwood bringing 1 guy with. Walker likely to stay but not confirmed.

Figured that. Have heard that Underwood is probably gonna bring Evans from OSU over. Keep Walker, so the last assistant coach job would go to Gates (FSU assistant) or the La Lumiere coach.

A recruiting class of Williams, Pickett, Frazier, Tilmon, Smith, and Bowen though.......

Shane Heirman. Dude is really good at what he does.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)
This. I'm definitely Team Alford to Indiana. I'd be surprised if the resident Indiana fans on this board agreed.

Ding ding ding! I'll be livid if we take Alford. But given some of Glass's comments at the presser, and actions in the past, I'm scared he may go that direction.

My pipe dream is Billy Donovan. I can keep dreaming about it til it doesn't happen!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 10:40 PM)
Shane Heirman. Dude is really good at what he does.

I really want him, but Underwood wants someone more experienced (at least that's the initial buzz). Would consider him in a support role which means no Bowen, not really sure if that makes sense (not that Bowen would be a lock if he was an assistant).

I'm all for someone who is a stud recruiter, but Shane seems like a really good up and coming coach/recruiter.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 07:50 AM)
I really want him, but Underwood wants someone more experienced (at least that's the initial buzz). Would consider him in a support role which means no Bowen, not really sure if that makes sense (not that Bowen would be a lock if he was an assistant).

I'm all for someone who is a stud recruiter, but Shane seems like a really good up and coming coach/recruiter.

Having seen him in person over the last couple of years, the guy is a college coach in waiting. His players are on the floor 60 minutes before tip off and go through drills, and all kinds of things before a game. It is the most elaborate pre-game I have ever seen. His recruiting speaks for itself. He built this basketball program there out of absolutely nothing. Five years ago it didn't exist. Local public schools wouldn't play them because they were so awful.

A part of me wants them to hire whatever keeps Tilmon, but in real life if there are better options available, it might be worth doing that even if he walks.