NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 08:22 PM)
There is an insider rumor that Sean Miller has been in contact for the OSU job. I don't believe it but it would be awesome.

After seeing him choke again last night I would want him gone if I was Arizona.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
After seeing him choke again last night I would want him gone if I was Arizona.

Careful what you wish for Arizona, the tournament upsets suck, but not any coach can consistently win 30 games every year

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 10:02 PM)
Looks like Piper has another #PipeBomb for illinois. Anyone with insider status have a summary? From what I've gathered on twitter, it looks to be good news about the Tilmon visit.

On the rivals board sturdy is saying that the meeting went well and tilmon is sticking with Illinois.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 25, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
I'm really surprised Alford didn't want the job. This seems much better for IU though.

I can't speak for the whole alumni base but there's a pretty substantial "no to Alford" movement out there that has popped up in a lot of places for me. I don't think it would have gone over that well.

But yeah I'm rather content with this hire.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 25, 2017 -> 01:59 PM)
I can't speak for the whole alumni base but there's a pretty substantial "no to Alford" movement out there that has popped up in a lot of places for me. I don't think it would have gone over that well.

But yeah I'm rather content with this hire.

Alford would have been a reprehensible choice.

I'm happy with Archie -- seemed the best of the reasonable (ie, non-pipe dream) candidates. At the very least we can expect some better defense.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 10:45 PM)
Alford really isn't that great. He's just hot right now. He hit the lottery being at UCLA because the school can pretty much sell itself with all the resources and location.

While mostly true UCLA has had a lot of trouble finding coaches that can fit with that program (not unlike Texas with football/basketball).

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 01:38 PM)
While mostly true UCLA has had a lot of trouble finding coaches that can fit with that program (not unlike Texas with football/basketball).

The thing is no matter how decent he is, he will be out of a job in five years at UCLA. That is just the way UCLA is. They go through coaches like... [insert crude joke here]. That is the big reason I can kind of surprised Alford didn't push harder for IU.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
The thing is no matter how decent he is, he will be out of a job in five years at UCLA. That is just the way UCLA is. They go through coaches like... [insert crude joke here]. That is the big reason I can kind of surprised Alford didn't push harder for IU.

You have to wonder then if it was Alford's camp creating most of the noise.

So as most of the coaching areas have settled, have to say this was one hell of a coaching class.

Losers:

KSU - saw two former coaches in the final four (that they let go) and one former asst. coach become a hot name and leave for U of I while keeping Bruce Weber. I think it's true that Underwood would have been difficult to get with his big 12 buyout, but bleh.

OSU - what in god's name are they doing

Cal - I just think they always have a tough job and it sucks when the coaches leave there, but on other hand they don't care that much about basketball

Dayton - Maybe they find a great coach but OTOH they got a lot out of Miller.

I left UW off that list. Yeah, they lost a top 5 recruiting class, but I think they made a decent hire and hard to keep Romar after last few years. VCU will find another good coach. That program is solid.

Winners:

Indiana - Upgraded

Uof I - love Underwood

Mizzou - hard to overstate how different and much positive energy there is compared to Haith/Anderson hires

NC State - love Keatts

LSU - I'm neutral on Wade but hard not to improve over Jones.

WSU/Butler - For keeping their coaches again

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
So as most of the coaching areas have settled, have to say this was one hell of a coaching class.

Losers:

KSU - saw two former coaches in the final four (that they let go) and one former asst. coach become a hot name and leave for U of I while keeping Bruce Weber. I think it's true that Underwood would have been difficult to get with his big 12 buyout, but bleh.

OSU - what in god's name are they doing

Cal - I just think they always have a tough job and it sucks when the coaches leave there, but on other hand they don't care that much about basketball

Dayton - Maybe they find a great coach but OTOH they got a lot out of Miller.

I left UW off that list. Yeah, they lost a top 5 recruiting class, but I think they made a decent hire and hard to keep Romar after last few years. VCU will find another good coach. That program is solid.

Winners:

Indiana - Upgraded

Uof I - love Underwood

Mizzou - hard to overstate how different and much positive energy there is compared to Haith/Anderson hires

NC State - love Keatts

LSU - I'm neutral on Wade but hard not to improve over Jones.

WSU/Butler - For keeping their coaches again

The fact that Mizzou managed to bring in the #1 recruit in the country with their coaching change has to put them as #1 by a long shot. Washington blowing that recruiting class for a coaching change has to be at the loser list.