NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 06:39 PM)
Iowa looks like they are a year ahead of schedule to be completely honest. They were thought to have Jok and who else? They aren't a tourney team but I can't imagine they thought they would have some of the wins they did. Extremely volatility, as should be expected with a young squad.

ISU plays one of the shortest lineups in all of the power conferences and it is burning them. Holberg's lack of big man recruiting before he left and two big man recruits for Prohm not being eligible at the beginning of the season has made it extremely difficult to guard down low during Big 12 play. Also, apparently, Georges Niang was that good.

It's funny seeing McDermott doing this at Creighton, I always thought he could coach but wasn't a fit at ISU.

--

Also the Big 12 is weird

Regarding Iowa, I agree with you. I've been very surprised and they seem to have quite a few young guys that can play. I still think they probably have a two year dry spell from the tourney (but I'm hoping next year they can push it there), but hey, this year has been way more enjoyable then I expected. I'm pushing for an NIT birth. Sucks though that they couldn't have more around Jok...he is so freaking good (from an Iowa Hawkeye fan perspective).

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, Steve Alford is the King Of Westwood, for now...but he was never going to be able to accomplish that in Iowa City, it was just a stepping-stone.

Iowa was almost blown out of the game at home by MD in the first half, stormed back to take a late 3 point lead but they seem to have run out of gas at the end.

At least they're entertaining...for all the hype Tyler Cook got, he hasn't been THE man for Iowa like he was expected when he stepped onto campus. Needs to figure out other ways to attack the basket and improve his shooting, like most athletes who rely on physical dominance to get through high school.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 04:54 PM)
Another mediocre coach and shady recruiter. I do laugh at the idea of Keatts. His past with Louisville made him a no-go last offseason

He improved at every job he was at each year. He has connections in Chicago and is from east St. Louis. Sign me up.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)
Good job heads

Least mentally strong Iowa State team in years is the one not to fold in Lawrence.

At halftime, Kansas was up 52-38, was shooting 70% and was outrebounding ISU 19-3. We really needed a big win for our NCAA tournament resume. I felt we were in, but had little margin for error.

In other news, the Big 12 is murder. Kansas State wins at #2 Baylor, Iowa State wins at #3 Kansas and Oklahoma State wins at #7 West Virginia.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 09:05 PM)
Northwestern gonna play themselves onto the bubble. Tough schedule rest of the way

They haven't had Scottie Lindsey the last two games due to illness. He's their leading scorer and probably their 2nd best defender. The broadcast said he should be back for Wisconsin on Sunday, but they also said that for tonight in the previous game.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
Regarding Iowa, I agree with you. I've been very surprised and they seem to have quite a few young guys that can play. I still think they probably have a two year dry spell from the tourney (but I'm hoping next year they can push it there), but hey, this year has been way more enjoyable then I expected. I'm pushing for an NIT birth. Sucks though that they couldn't have more around Jok...he is so freaking good (from an Iowa Hawkeye fan perspective).

Super late response I know, but most Hawkeye fans I know get upset with Jok's defensive effort. I haven't watched many Iowa games this year, just what I hear.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 07:40 PM)
Uh, did anyone else watch WV/Kansas last night? Dear god, what an awesome finish. Not much I've ever seen that will compare to OU/KU from last year, but that was a fun one to watch.

I so wanted to see Kansas go down at home. I was just stunned by the collapse of WV.