NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
Sounds like Mizzou is about to land Cuonzo Martin for an eye opening 3.5 per.

This means either two things (or both):

- The prices of coaches are inflated this hiring season due to a number of schools with money to spend (u of I, mizzou, nc st)

- Mizzou way over spent on Martin, a good, solid, not spectacular hire now being paid like the best in the game.

That feels like insane money for Martin, but I'm reasonably sure he is going to recruit very well down there.

Feels like, with $3.5M to play with for Martin, Missouri could have waited for schools to start getting eliminated from the tournament and throw that same money at better options. But it's also possible that Missouri wants Martin and decided to overpay to get it done (I'm assuming he can't say no to this offer) before Illinois falls back to Martin in the event that they miss on their top options.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
I wonder where he places in the Illinois top 5?

I don't think Martin is in Illinois' top 5. Now, some of the candidates in Illinois' top 5 might be pipe dreams, but I think Martin was considered a fallback.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
Sounds like Mizzou is about to land Cuonzo Martin for an eye opening 3.5 per.

This means either two things (or both):

- The prices of coaches are inflated this hiring season due to a number of schools with money to spend (u of I, mizzou, nc st)

- Mizzou way over spent on Martin, a good, solid, not spectacular hire now being paid like the best in the game.

If that is the actual price that seems like a huge overreach in terms of money. I don't think Illinois was very interested in him and NC State certainly isn't. Plus Cuonzo seemed desperate to get out of Cal since he knows he is leaving a garbage roster in his wake next year. 2 NCAA tournaments in 9 years for 3.5 mil when he was worse than his predecessor at both Tennessee and Cal? Yikes.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)
If that is the actual price that seems like a huge overreach in terms of money. I don't think Illinois was very interested in him and NC State certainly isn't. Plus Cuonzo seemed desperate to get out of Cal since he knows he is leaving a garbage roster in his wake next year. 2 NCAA tournaments in 9 years for 3.5 mil when he was worse than his predecessor at both Tennessee and Cal? Yikes.

In his defense, the situation at Tennessee was toxic. And, a lot of people think he will kill it in recruiting back in this geographical area. $3.5 mil is an overpay, but I like the hire in general for Mizzou.

That said, I want him nowhere near Illinois if possible.

There is one weird thing being buzzed about with Rivals and Gabe Dearmond -

That with Romar's tenuous hold on Washington, Michael Porter Jr. may be back in play.

Seems like a pipe dream.

One thing different about Mizzou compared to U of I. Our AD made early overtures that they wanted an established power con coach after the Kim Anderson experience. So our top 5 probably did look different.

Another thing:

- It seems really dumb to let it be known how much you want to spend, because then when you get turned down the next guy on the list knows you were prepared to go higher for the other guy, and it wasn't good enough. Leads to price inflation really quick.

Not thrilled about this as a Mizzou fan, but, after Kim Anderson, I mean. Man he was bad.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 03:23 PM)
There is one weird thing being buzzed about with Rivals and Gabe Dearmond -

That with Romar's tenuous hold on Washington, Michael Porter Jr. may be back in play.

Seems like a pipe dream.

One thing different about Mizzou compared to U of I. Our AD made early overtures that they wanted an established power con coach after the Kim Anderson experience. So our top 5 probably did look different.

Another thing:

- It seems really dumb to let it be known how much you want to spend, because then when you get turned down the next guy on the list knows you were prepared to go higher for the other guy, and it wasn't good enough. Leads to price inflation really quick.

Not thrilled about this as a Mizzou fan, but, after Kim Anderson, I mean. Man he was bad.

No sense in nickel and diming it. If you've got the money, spend it. Donors like Shahid Khan don't care about an extra million here or there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 03:37 PM)
Snelling is a mizzou sbnation writer and he does have a pretty good connection of coaches and agents for rumors. But, even so, I just can't see Bennett leaving UVA.

I've heard similar things from more Illinois connected news outlets (though their sources could easily overlap). I will say this does sound a lot like the hubris that was spewed from the donor crowds during the search for the new AD. "I'm going to go out to Rick George with a blank check, and I'm not going to take no for an answer!" And then he publicly denied them several times.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
I've heard similar things from more Illinois connected news outlets (though their sources could easily overlap). I will say this does sound a lot like the hubris that was spewed from the donor crowds during the search for the new AD. "I'm going to go out to Rick George with a blank check, and I'm not going to take no for an answer!" And then he publicly denied them several times.

My concern is that it is enough for Bennett to be interested in, but UVA makes a counter that is enough to keep him there and we are left at the altar again.

Just like Groce and recruits, Whitman needs to know who he can actually get. Even as tight of a ship as Whitman has been running, any of these leaks can still make us look bad and it's critical right now that we don't have the same dilemma as last time.

Lol, Missouri/Martin throw out a rumor that he turned down an $18 million dollar offer from Illinois. Within 5 seconds every beat writer/insider on the Illini called him out on it since no offer was ever extended. Gotta love the PR game.

Sounds like Illinois was pretty high on him a few months ago but that cooled significantly.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
My concern is that it is enough for Bennett to be interested in, but UVA makes a counter that is enough to keep him there and we are left at the altar again.

Just like Groce and recruits, Whitman needs to know who he can actually get. Even as tight of a ship as Whitman has been running, any of these leaks can still make us look bad and it's critical right now that we don't have the same dilemma as last time.

The coaching bench is so much better right now, and I don't think anyone realized Bennett would even be on that bench.

Worst case scenario is so much better than 5 years ago. With the money U of I is offering, I think they get first pick.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
Lol, Missouri/Martin throw out a rumor that he turned down an $18 million dollar offer from Illinois. Within 5 seconds every beat writer/insider on the Illini called him out on it since no offer was ever extended. Gotta love the PR game.

Sounds like Illinois was pretty high on him a few months ago but that cooled significantly.

It was Finebaum, really doubt that came from Mizzou/Guarantee that didn't come from mizzou.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
It was Finebaum, really doubt that came from Mizzou/Guarantee that didn't come from mizzou.

Those types of rumors usually come from the coach or player. I wanted to be at Missouri so much I turned down another job that offered more money (and no one cares that the offer never actually happened).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 04:35 PM)
Those types of rumors usually come from the coach or player. I wanted to be at Missouri so much I turned down another job that offered more money (and no one cares that the offer never actually happened).

Maybe. Finebaum might have relationship with Martin from tenn days, just saying it's highly unlikely he got it from Missouri. Since they joined SEC, that isn't an information pipeline he particularly cares about. More likely that would leak to local media from Missouri.

Holy smokes. ROMAR IS OUT AT WASHINGTON.

Maybe this Michael Porter Jr. in play stuff is true. Man, if Mizzou landing Martin leads to a homecoming of Porter Jr...

Couldn't be a bigger turnaround from the sinkhole of the last 3 years.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)
#illini source says Finebaum report on $18 million offer of Cuonzo Martin is untrue.

From Werner. Guess we will never know.

Martin hasn't even really been talked about on the insider board lately. Something would have leaked sooner if the Illini were actually pursuing him like that. Not hours after he took a job from a geographical rival.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 05:13 PM)
Holy smokes. ROMAR IS OUT AT WASHINGTON.

Maybe this Michael Porter Jr. in play stuff is true. Man, if Mizzou landing Martin leads to a homecoming of Porter Jr...

Couldn't be a bigger turnaround from the sinkhole of the last 3 years.

Quick, Ron Paul it's happening GIF