NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
Piper says Porter to Missouri likely (duh) and they'll go after Jamal Walker hard.

Says illinois has its guy and it's a splash. Doesn't seem to know who it is though.

Was that on the premium board? I didn't see him say that on twitter

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 08:20 PM)
Piper is saying that Bryce Drew could be got, but doesn't think he's the "splash" that's been rumored. Oh boy, if he's our fallback we are in great great shape.

Who do you guys think the "splash" is that Piper is talking about? How do you know this Jenks? I don't see this on his twitter either.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 10:27 PM)
Bennett is the big talk, Marshall/Archie are talked about as well but not as much. Sean Miller's name was dropped, but even the insiders think that is a LONGGGGGGG shot.

Saw this a bit ago on the insider board and just thought it was a slip by him and that he meant Archie. Wasn't the case. No way that happens I think, but it sounds like any guy the Illini get at this point is going to be exciting.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 11:37 PM)
Saw this a bit ago on the insider board and just thought it was a slip by him and that he meant Archie. Wasn't the case. No way that happens I think, but it sounds like any guy the Illini get at this point is going to be exciting.

One of Bennett, Archie, Bryce Drew, Marshall would be phenomenal for this program.

Missouri had a great day, and I mean a really f***ing good day for them, but I will feel 1000% better about our future with one of those guys at the helm over Cuonzo. Substance over splash, and our splash would still be pretty big.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 11:44 PM)
Yea I did a double take.

One of Bennett, Archie, Bryce Drew, Marshall would be phenomenal for this program.

Missouri had a great day, and I mean a really f***ing good day for them, but I will feel 1000% better about our future with one of those guys at the helm over Cuonzo. Substance over splash, and our splash would still be pretty big.

Any one of those four would be great for Illinois.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 11:37 PM)

There is a 0% chance Sean Miller leaves Arizona.

Martin really went from good to great because of Porter news (knock on wood). Porters mean more to Columbia than any other program.

But also Martin finally gets us in to SL area which has been a must for program forever.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 08:33 AM)
Martin really went from good to great because of Porter news (knock on wood). Porters mean more to Columbia than any other program.

But also Martin finally gets us in to SL area which has been a must for program forever.

And if the rumor about them stealing the IL assistant and getting Tilmon too? Wow. That is a top 10 squad instantly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)
And if the rumor about them stealing the IL assistant and getting Tilmon too? Wow. That is a top 10 squad instantly.

I don't see it even with Tilmon. There is almost no talent on that roster right now. Porter is amazing but the last two #1 picks played for teams that didn't even play in the NCAA tournament so that hardly guarantees anything. Martin had Jaylen Brown, a top 5 NBA draft pick, Ivan Rabb who will be a first round pick this year, plus Jordan Matthews, Tyrone Wallace and Jabari Bird last year and didn't even have a top 25 team.

That isn't to say Missouri fans shouldn't be excited if that happens especially with how bad they've been. It just means you are probably looking more at a bubble type team than a contender to really win anything.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)

Sam Snelling talked about that. Apparently that assistant is promoting himself as someone who comes with Tilmon, but there isn't much of a connection outside that. However, lots of smoke that Mark Smith, a 4-star guard from edwardsville is likely to follow Martin.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)
I don't see it even with Tilmon. There is almost no talent on that roster right now. Porter is amazing but the last two #1 picks played for teams that didn't even play in the NCAA tournament so that hardly guarantees anything. Martin had Jaylen Brown, a top 5 NBA draft pick, Ivan Rabb who will be a first round pick this year, plus Jordan Matthews, Tyrone Wallace and Jabari Bird last year and didn't even have a top 25 team.

That isn't to say Missouri fans shouldn't be excited if that happens especially with how bad they've been. It just means you are probably looking more at a bubble type team than a contender to really win anything.

It's not just Porter Jr. though, it's Johntay who will class up to play with his brother. They have 4 star guard CJ Roberts who may come, may go, but if it is the splashiest of 2 Porters, Mark Smith and Tilmon, they have pretty decent pieces in Puryear, Barnett and Phillips that are great role players but bad stars. Plus Anderson was just so especially bad.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
Sam Snelling talked about that. Apparently that assistant is promoting himself as someone who comes with Tilmon, but there isn't much of a connection outside that. However, lots of smoke that Mark Smith, a 4-star guard from edwardsville is likely to follow Martin.

Does Walker guarantee Tilmon at another school? No, but it gives you a big edge.

And Mark Smith is also being recruited heavily by...Walker. EJ Liddel is being recruited really well by...Walker. He's a good recruiter, and knows the St. Louis area really, really well.

Smith will go to Illinois with a good hire, kids loves Illinois but obviously we've thrown a lot of obstacles at him.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
Jamall Walker is the assistant, and the inside scoop is that Tilmon stays at Illinois if Walker does. Does Walker guarantee Tilmon at another school? No, but it gives you a big edge.

And Mark Smith is also being recruited heavily by...Walker. EJ Liddel is being recruited really well by...Walker. He's a good recruiter, and knows the St. Louis area really, really well.

Smith will go to Illinois with a good hire, kids loves Illinois but obviously we've thrown a lot of obstacles at him.

Right. Risky move by Walker though. If you are parlaying your success to guaranteeing two 18 year olds will follow, you better be right.