NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
Bizarre timing. Sucks for Illinois but may not matter if they have guy. But hope would be IU didn't hear some coach was receptive to leaving that they liked, decided to grab instead.

Yeah, I'm skeptical of any reports that Illinois "has" their guy because obviously any coach still in the tournament can't sign anything binding. And with equal money, I'd have to imagine that Indiana is the overall better job (as much as I hate to admit that). So if Bennett or Marshall or Archie Miller are the guy, I have to imagine Indiana throws a wrench in things. But I also assume Indiana is shooting a bit higher than that (Stevens, is Alford on their radar), maybe Illinois is able to lock down their top guy if they exit the tournament early, and Indiana isn't ready to pull the trigger yet...

Also, I doubt that Bryce Drew is on Indiana's radar, and I'd love that hire for Illinois.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
Bizarre timing. Sucks for Illinois but may not matter if they have guy. But hope would be IU didn't hear some coach was receptive to leaving that they liked, decided to grab instead.

Wasn't there some rule with Crean that his buyout dropped every year but not immediately at the end of a season?

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
Yeah, I'm skeptical of any reports that Illinois "has" their guy because obviously any coach still in the tournament can't sign anything binding. And with equal money, I'd have to imagine that Indiana is the overall better job (as much as I hate to admit that). So if Bennett or Marshall or Archie Miller are the guy, I have to imagine Indiana throws a wrench in things. But I also assume Indiana is shooting a bit higher than that (Stevens, is Alford on their radar), maybe Illinois is able to lock down their top guy if they exit the tournament early, and Indiana isn't ready to pull the trigger yet...

Also, I doubt that Bryce Drew is on Indiana's radar, and I'd love that hire for Illinois.

The rumor around these parts about a month ago was that Alford would leave UCLA for only IU. No idea how true that was.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
The rumor around these parts about a month ago was that Alford would leave UCLA for only IU. No idea how true that was.

I'm actively rooting for Alford at this point. Let IU have a guy that doesn't overlap with the Illinois search. I'm very happy to see a stacked IU team with Kris Wilkes added in exchange for them not screwing up the Illinois search...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
I'm actively rooting for Alford at this point. Let IU have a guy that doesn't overlap with the Illinois search. I'm very happy to see a stacked IU team with Kris Wilkes added in exchange for them not screwing up the Illinois search...

Almost every name that has been "connected" with Illinois so far I'd rather have than Alford. Obviously who knows how much truth there are to these rumors but that's my opinion on that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
And the odds are pretty high that by waiting to announce, IU did its homework behind the scenes with no one watching.

Or, seeing what was happening, they felt compelled to make a move before someone they wanted went elsewhere.

I get Indiana has the name, but what is their roster/recruiting outlook?

The Alford connection seems weak. Yeah, he's got the connection, but he's at a blue blood program with great players and has a great recruiting class next year. Why on earth leave that for Indiana and a semi-rebuild?

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
Or, seeing what was happening, they felt compelled to make a move before someone they wanted went elsewhere.

The Alford connection seems weak. Yeah, he's got the connection, but he's at a blue blood program with great players and has a great recruiting class next year. Why on earth leave that for Indiana and a semi-rebuild?

It's his alma mater. Is there anyone out there who wouldn't dream about coaching their alma mater?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
It's his alma mater. Is there anyone out there who wouldn't dream about coaching their alma mater?

True, but lotta people dream about being the coach of UCLA.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)

He may dream of it but if he's at a better spot with better future prospects (in LA v. Bloomington, Indiana), it's not an easy choice.

What was he doing when Crean was hired? If he wanted to come back why not do it then? Was he still at Iowa at that point?

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
True, but lotta people dream about being the coach of UCLA.

Definitely but the connection is there. I obviously have no clue if he'll go there or not but if the money is around the same there's plenty of people who would coach at their alma mater above any other school.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)

If Alford is smart he knows that his time at UCLA is always limited. He knows if he can do anything at IU, he can retire there. Plus, there is an attachment to IU downstate that I can't explain. It is like a cult for some people. With him growing up in New Castle and playing there, that might be the one place he would leave for without being pushed out the door. I don't know if the rumors are true, but being on the ground level here, they sure as hell are plausible. Think Roy Williams leaving Kansas for UNC on steroids.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)
He may dream of it but if he's at a better spot with better future prospects (in LA v. Bloomington, Indiana), it's not an easy choice.

What was he doing when Crean was hired? If he wanted to come back why not do it then? Was he still at Iowa at that point?

That's just it. In another state, he is just another Coach. In the state of Indiana, he IS IU. He would own this state. Hell he was getting borderline division 1 prospects to a D3 when he was at Manchester. He was convincing D1 kids who weren't getting enough playing time to leave their schools and come play for him at Manchester when I was there. He would have every single advantage in the state of Indiana.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)
That's just it. In another state, he is just another Coach. In the state of Indiana, he IS IU. He would own this state. Hell he was getting borderline division 1 prospects to a D3 when he was at Manchester. He was convincing D1 kids who weren't getting enough playing time to leave their schools and come play for him at Manchester when I was there. He would have every single advantage in the state of Indiana.

He's already recruiting it better than Crean was, he stole Wilkes (who loved Indiana but not Crean).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
He's already recruiting it better than Crean was, he stole Wilkes (who loved Indiana but not Crean).

He didn't exactly land the big Indiana fish when he was coaching Iowa. But IU would be a different story.

I personally think if they hire him they will be a lot happier the day they do than at any other time during his tenure. As an Iowa alum, I thought his hire was going to be the greatest thing, but it was more mediocrity, and I don't blame him too much for the Pierre Pierce stuff. He took the kid at his word and stuck up for him. Turns out he gets burned badly.

I don't know if he would have done the same had Pierce not been probably his best player. But coaches sticking up for their guys usually isn't frowned upon. If he didn't take his side and Pierce was being straight with him, he would have been crushed for that as well.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)

He also already has a big in at LaLumiere, having gotten a kid from there out to UCLA. If he can get his claws in there for kids from the midwest, look out.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
The connection is there, but I agree that leaving UCLA for IU is tough. I hope it happens though, I love to hate on Alford.

This. I'm definitely Team Alford to Indiana. I'd be surprised if the resident Indiana fans on this board agreed.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
He didn't exactly land the big Indiana fish when he was coaching Iowa. But IU would be a different story.

I personally think if they hire him they will be a lot happier the day they do than at any other time during his tenure. As an Iowa alum, I thought his hire was going to be the greatest thing, but it was more mediocrity, and I don't blame him too much for the Pierre Pierce stuff. He took the kid at his word and stuck up for him. Turns out he gets burned badly.

I don't know if he would have done the same had Pierce not been probably his best player. But coaches sticking up for their guys usually isn't frowned upon. If he didn't take his side and Pierce was being straight with him, he would have been crushed for that as well.

Knowing Alford semi-personally, he was a very trusting guy. Still to this day I fully believe that the kid fed him a line of BS, and he bought it, and stuck up for him. He would have also done it for the last guy on the roster. I personally saw him do it for other kids. He really buys into the father figure thing.