NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 05:28 PM)
Not sure how much it would've mattered but Kendrick Nunn seems missed. I still can't believe Tate is on a D1 roster.

Yet somehow Groce looks at him every day in practice and thinks "this guy should get starter's minutes."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 05:13 AM)
Sigh. The usual Indiana early season inexplicable stinker.

Not trying to defend Indiana or Crean here, but if college Top 20 teams went and played small small small schools on the road more often, they'd get beat more often than they'd win IMO (I do realize this game had more Indiana fans at it than Ft. Wayne). No major college in their right mind would go play at a Missouri State or Wichita State or Northern Iowa. They'd leave with an L more often than not because of the sellout and crazed fans. Just my take.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 10:50 PM)
Not trying to defend Indiana or Crean here, but if college Top 20 teams went and played small small small schools on the road more often, they'd get beat more often than they'd win IMO (I do realize this game had more Indiana fans at it than Ft. Wayne). No major college in their right mind would go play at a Missouri State or Wichita State or Northern Iowa. They'd leave with an L more often than not because of the sellout and crazed fans. Just my take.

I do miss ISU going to UNI and Drake though I understand why they don't. A buy game against the Citadel is worth more money than that road game against either UNI/Drake that probably means a loss 1 or 2 every four years.

Tomorrow should be a decent game against Miami, though this team misses the helllllll out of Niang.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 10:50 PM)

Come on, this is ridiculous. Would they get beat? Yea, sometimes. But more often than they would win? Hell no

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 04:05 PM)
Come on, this is ridiculous. Would they get beat? Yea, sometimes. But more often than they would win? Hell no

Teams can't win on the road. It's the age old problem for teams. Oft times a blue blood will win by 40 at home and be lucky to win by 2-3 in the road conference rematch.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
Teams can't win on the road. It's the age old problem for teams. Oft times a blue blood will win by 40 at home and be lucky to win by 2-3 in the road conference rematch.

ok now you are just moving the goalposts. You first started by saying that top 20 teams would lose more often than not to non conference opponents on the road, now you are talking about a blue blood winning at home by 40(against who? non conference? conference?) and then contrasting it with road CONFERENCE teams which is an entirely different beast.

Look greg, i know you know college bball, im not stupid. You know just as well as anyone that Kansas may have problems beating WSU at Wichita year to year. But you arent saying that. You are basically saying that Kansas will more often than not lose to any non-conference team they play on the road and that is just categorically untrue. Cream(talent) rises to the top, top 20 teams usually have a lot of it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 09:39 PM)
ok now you are just moving the goalposts. You first started by saying that top 20 teams would lose more often than not to non conference opponents on the road, now you are talking about a blue blood winning at home by 40(against who? non conference? conference?) and then contrasting it with road CONFERENCE teams which is an entirely different beast.

Look greg, i know you know college bball, im not stupid. You know just as well as anyone that Kansas may have problems beating WSU at Wichita year to year. But you arent saying that. You are basically saying that Kansas will more often than not lose to any non-conference team they play on the road and that is just categorically untrue. Cream(talent) rises to the top, top 20 teams usually have a lot of it.

Fair enough. I know in the Big 12 Kansas under Self has won a ton of road games and could probably go in many gyms and win. Almost every other team, however, has a pathetic road record the past 14 years. But your point is well taken.

Like Kansas always having a tough game at Manhattan, Columbia, etc., no matter the shape of those programs.

And then there is scheduling a game at a "mid major" such as Butler, Wichita St., Gonzaga, VCU type of program.

KU would still win 95-98 times out of 100 at UMKC.

Iowa could just as easily win as lose at UNI these days and lose 25% of the time to Drake. But there are different scales of upsets. IPFW was like Hickory winning in Hoosiers.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 4, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
Gotta give credit where it's due. Illinois with 2 very good wins against NC State and VCU. If they can finish the non-conference schedule out 10-3, I'd feel good about BT play.

And they're stinking it up against IUPUI. #Groced

Frankly I'm amazed he was able to get Tilmon to sign. He's been terrible at developing big guys. Mav and Thorne are truly awful. Softest bigs in the entire conference.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 4, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
Gotta give credit where it's due. Illinois with 2 very good wins against NC State and VCU. If they can finish the non-conference schedule out 10-3, I'd feel good about BT play.

Are either of those two teams gonna make the tourney? I haven't watched any games, just seen the scores and those two games seem like outliers.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
100% Thad is retiring after this season. He's toast anyway

The whole time watching that game i was having flashbacks to the UT-Arlington game last year. I thought that loss was bad. This loss was 20x worse.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:20 AM)
The whole time watching that game i was having flashbacks to the UT-Arlington game last year. I thought that loss was bad. This loss was 20x worse.

He's trying to turn over the roster and bring in some guys that actually want to try, but I dont think he will last. This is probably his last year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:00 AM)
He's trying to turn over the roster and bring in some guys that actually want to try, but I dont think he will last. This is probably his last year.

Which sucks, I love Thad, but it's probably time for a change. Guys like Loving never developed like expected and this team is just stuck. I know its early still this year, but to regress like they have in the two games since they played their best game in two years (and lost) at UVA it just feels like last year all over again.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
Which sucks, I love Thad, but it's probably time for a change. Guys like Loving never developed like expected and this team is just stuck. I know its early still this year, but to regress like they have in the two games since they played their best game in two years (and lost) at UVA it just feels like last year all over again.

They've missed on almost every recruiting class since 2011 except for one. It's either lack of identifying the right kids or not being able to develop them. Either way its bad