AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER

BaconOnAStick

Gotta love it. 4 games into the season and there's already been 3 White Sox winner threads.

Didn't see the game so I'll have to check the highlights later on the Sox site.

How did Latos look? All I have to go by for the moment is the box score.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
Gotta love it. 4 games into the season and there's already been 3 White Sox winner threads.

Didn't see the game so I'll have to check the highlights later on the Sox site.

How did Latos look? All I have to go by for the moment is the box score.

He had excellent command and control. Was working ahead and down in the zone mostly. Fastball was sitting at 87-89 but he didn't need a heater today had a very good breaking ball.

I wanted 8-10 runs today and got 6. I'll take it. Latos' start was outstanding for him especially considering he had a couple outs dropped/error or should've been an error early. My goal today was waiting for the 4/5th for Latos. He passed with flying colors. I went crazy for Abreu's HR. We get Frazier going along with Melky and Abreu will take off even more. This was great today with us adding on runs in the 9th. Good to see Lawrie with a couple hits.

Good to see Lawrie flashing leather today at 2nd. Brett "The Lizard" Lawrie.

Eaton is en fuego!! Love it because he is the fulcrum of this team. He has a great year and this lineup with be a ton better

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 07:01 PM)
He had excellent command and control. Was working ahead and down in the zone mostly. Fastball was sitting at 87-89 but he didn't need a heater today had a very good breaking ball.

Awesome. Thanks for filing me in. Hopefully his velocity comes around as his arm strengthens up.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 07:11 PM)
Awesome. Thanks for filing me in. Hopefully his velocity comes around as his arm strengthens up.

Sounds like from his post game comments he's still working on strengthening his lower body coming off the knee issues. Makes total sense that his velocity is down in that case. Hopefully his knees are good enough to allow him to get his work in the weight room in.

Anything he gives the Sox is a bonus IMO.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)
Let's take 2/3 from Cleveland to make us 5-2.

I was thinking the same thing.

Great win today. The starting pitching has been amazing. Hope my boy, John Danks, keeps the positive mo-jo going. I love taking 3-4 on the road from Oakland; 2-2 would have been acceptable even.

For those who never give Robin credit: How bout giving him credit for moving Melky up to No. 2 and helping him get out of his slump? The way it turned out I doubt any of us would mind Melky giving it a shot in the two hole during the Cleveland series. Seems like he doesn't have a lot of power anymore, maybe the 2 hole is the spot for him to move runners.

I'm loving the Jackson signing so far. He allows both eaton and Avi to relax some and as long as Jackson is a 1.5 WAR type he helps the team himself. Avi played pretty well in RF today and Eaton in CF. I think Eaton gets worn down more easily than most so having him in RF should save his legs a bit. Avi hopefully continues to build confidence in the starts he does get out there. Today he looked good.

Obviously a long season but so far so good. Knock on a wood, in a way striking out on their other targets and "only" getting Jackson late might turn out alright, at least until they can add more in summer.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 10:54 PM)
I was thinking the same thing.

Great win today. The starting pitching has been amazing. Hope my boy, John Danks, keeps the positive mo-jo going. I love taking 3-4 on the road from Oakland; 2-2 would have been acceptable even.

For those who never give Robin credit: How bout giving him credit for moving Melky up to No. 2 and helping him get out of his slump? The way it turned out I doubt any of us would mind Melky giving it a shot in the two hole during the Cleveland series. Seems like he doesn't have a lot of power anymore, maybe the 2 hole is the spot for him to move runners.

Danks had a funny quote today about "I hope it's 20 and snowing, the colder the better as a pitcher", despite being a Texas boy.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 10:38 PM)
I give Robin credit for taking Latos out when he did. 3rd time through lineup would not have gone well.

I think it was mainly because Latos doesn't have the arm strength currently. He pitched in what, 3 games in ST? And never got past the 5th I believe.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)
I think it was mainly because Latos doesn't have the arm strength currently. He pitched in what, 3 games in ST? And never got past the 5th I believe.

So? He was having a hell of a game. Dusty Baker probably throws him out there. Robin made good decision to stick with pre-game planning. When things go right people don't consider a decision having been made. When they go wrong, then it was a manager doing something.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 10:45 PM)
So? He was having a hell of a game. Dusty Baker probably throws him out there. Robin made good decision to stick with pre-game planning. When things go right people don't consider a decision having been made. When they go wrong, then it was a manager doing something.

The White Sox are freaking incredible at knowing how to build up a pitcher. While people will bicker with pen decisions, they hit the exact sweet spot with Latos today. A lesser manager would have pulled him after the fifth and his first scare after the spring training he had. The Sox sent him back out there to try to build the arm up, and were ready for him to have problems in case he did.

I thought Latos was outstanding. He worked round the plate with varying speeds and threw mainly strikes. He even pitched around the error.

Albers continues to look solid and I'm liking Albers in the 7th, Jones in the 8th and Robertson in the 9th.

Jones looked good when he came in, it was good to see him coming in without a runner on base from Daisy Duke.

Daisy Duke struggled for me again. He's the pensman that currently causes the most concern as he is struggling to get people out.

The Defense of Lawrie was outstanding with two highlight reels catch and throws.

I'm also encouraged with the late hitting of the team.

Onwards to the Tribe and no Corey Kluber :D

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
great start to the year. Anytime you win 3/4 on the road is good, very good. Defense this year is massively improved.

They have Major League Baseball players at almost every position. Sadly, that hasn't been the case much recently.

This team is good.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 10:38 PM)
I give Robin credit for taking Latos out when he did. 3rd time through lineup would not have gone well.

Regardless of whether ior not he was pulled because he didn't have the arm strength, I hope Robin continues to limit him to six or so innings. He's not overpowering and he dances the ball around and hitters can catch up with that. If he can be effective for six most nights, he's done his job.