4/8 game thread WHITE SOX HOME OPENER vs Cleveland

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
I know I'm late... but has anyone posted the lyrics to THUNDERSTRUCK on here yet? Is that done on the first game of the season or the home opener?

This is important.

Remember last year when they stopped playing Thunderstruck in April, and fans got so angry that they started playing it again in May? :lol:

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
Remember last year when they stopped playing Thunderstruck in April, and fans got so angry that they started playing it again in May? :lol:

I've always liked Southside by Moby as the soundtrack for my White Sox. I remember ESPN playing it during the World Series run.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 36m36 minutes ago

Pitchers who have been w/their teams longer than Danks: Wainwright, Weaver, Felix, Cain and Verlander. That's excellent company.

And he fits like a glove with that group.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
And he fits like a glove with that group.

He's probably as good if not better than Cain and Weaver at this point. Those guys are toast.

And pre-injury he was nearly as good as them at their peak. In the four years before he got hurt he averaged 3.7 fWAR with a high of 4.8. Weaver's best four year stretch he averaged 4.6 with a high of 5.9. Cain's best four year stretch averaged 4.0 with a high of 5.0.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
Calling it right now, Danks finishes the season with an ERA around 4.20-4.30, and we're more happy than disappointed with him this year. His 2nd half last year was no fluke.

If he does that, I'd offer a QO. I bet he pitches decent he will try to get one last 3-4 year deal.

If Danks consistently has his 91 mph stuff that popped up I'd be optimistic. But he just has way too many days of nothing and he can't junk it up when that happens.

I feel for danks. Not like he asked for his shoulder to fall off.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
If he does that, I'd offer a QO. I bet he pitches decent he will try to get one last 3-4 year deal.

Going into last year I would have thought that was crazy, then I saw was JA Happ got, and also can see how bad this years FA crop is... Now it isn't the craziest thing I have ever heard.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
If Danks consistently has his 91 mph stuff that popped up I'd be optimistic. But he just has way too many days of nothing and he can't junk it up when that happens.

I feel for danks. Not like he asked for his shoulder to fall off.

Plus the dude has never felt sorry for himself or tried to push off the blame. He has fought through it and took the ball every fifth day since the surgery.

I can't imagine a scenario where it would be a good idea to give Danks a qualifying offer.

There isn't. Danks, at his best, is going to be the 4th best starter on the team and no 4th starter is worth a QO.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
There isn't. Danks, at his best, is going to be the 4th best starter on the team and no 4th starter is worth a QO.

Not only that, Danks becomes a 5 and 10 guy after this season. If he came back, he would have full no trade protection. This is it for Johnny Danks. Hopefully he can silence the critics at least a little bit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
Going into last year I would have thought that was crazy, then I saw was JA Happ got, and also can see how bad this years FA crop is... Now it isn't the craziest thing I have ever heard.

I really think we're going to see the tide shift regarding QO's. Last year was the first year any player accepted and it was multiple players at that. We also saw others who declined (Fowler, Desmond) really have their value take a hit on the open market. I think going forward teams will be less inclined to offer QO's with the hope of the player declining and players will be more likely to accept due to what happened with Fowler and Desmond.

QUOTE (jhonnydanks @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
Well, that whole "no expectations" thing I talked myself into lasted exactly 4 games. Now anything less than an ALCS trip is unacceptable.

don't stop get it get it

It is important to note that Oakland is likely to be the worst team in the AL. Gotta win the games you're supposed to win though.