4/11 Game thread: @ Minnesota, 3:10pm, CSN/WLS

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
That is highly debatable. (The defensive value Saladino brings plus his hitting that probably wouldn't be too much worse may be better than Rollins' overall production)

I don't think it's highly debatable that Saladino likely never puts up a 4 WAR season.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)
Valid point. I just hope they arent afraid to pull the plug if he isn't getting the job done. In the games I've watched so far, he doesn't have all that great of range at SS. The bat could definitely show up to offset his defensive inadequacies.

Judging by the way the Ventura benched players last year, I don't think that will be a problem assuming that Saladino does perform, and Rollins doesn't.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
His WAR/162 was over 3 last year.

That's because he had a crazy high DRS value last year, at +12 in just 60 games. At a full season's pace that would have been the second-best defensive season by a 3B since they started tracking DRS. I like Saladino, but that was likely to be unsustainable. And even with historically good defense he still wasn't coming close to 4 WAR over a full season.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
Quintana game and the Twins are 0-6, ya I'll be shocked if we don't lose this one 1-0 or 2-1.

Which of course won't prevent the game thread from being full of "THIS TEAM IS TRASH"

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
His WAR/162 was over 3 last year.

In order to make a case for Saladino to be owed more PT literally five games into this season, you have taken 2/3 of a single season of defensive data from the less popular of two divergent WAR systems and extrapolated it to an entire season. And it STILL ends up 30% lower than the number quoted in the post you quoted.

You're using numbers the way tobacco companies use numbers.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
In order to make a case for Saladino to be owed more PT literally five games into this season, you have taken 2/3 of a single season of defensive data from the less popular of two divergent WAR systems and extrapolated it to an entire season. And it STILL ends up 30% lower than the number quoted in the post you quoted.

You're using numbers the way tobacco companies use numbers.

The number being used ("over 3") is 3.57. 3.57 is definitely not 30% less than 4. You're also assuming that he never improves. (Since OP said he doesn't put up a season as good as 2014 Rollins even at full ceiling, and someone decided to make WAR the only stat being talked about)

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
The number being used ("over 3") is 3.57. 3.57 is definitely not 30% less than 4. You're also assuming that he never improves. (Since OP said he doesn't put up a season as good as 2014 Rollins even at full ceiling, and someone decided to make WAR the only stat being talked about)

ZIPS likes Tyler too though... projected for 1.4 fWAR in only 435 PA. I think Tyler is pretty decent but I like having Rollins as well. I like 'em both.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)

Improve on what would be projected out to be one of the greatest defensive seasons in modern history? Yeah, I am going to say no. No one ever projected Saladino that high. Rondon is the one guy in the system with that kind of defensive ceiling.