Internal alternatives to Avisail Garcia

NorthSideSox72

With Avisail Garcia looking more and more like his old self again, one has to ask what happens if he's still like this in a month or two. And if the team can't improve via trade (hard to make those level of trades in April or May), what are the options the Sox have internally, in the short term?

Here's a look at the answer to that question.

Who would you favor, and why? And how much leash, if any, do you give Garcia? Do you act now, or wait for him to improve and/or prospects to get adjusted in AAA first?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Said it in the MiLB thread yesterday, really hope Coats gets an opportunity. Never realized until recently how consistent of a hitter he's been in the minors. The potential of his bat mixed with average to above average defense should already be having him push Sands for some playing time up here. If he keeps hitting, I wouldnt mind moving him to LF and moving Melky to DH.

The team should simply go out and sign David Murphy right now. But if they're determined to give Avi a few weeks before calling it quits, I'd definitely give Sands a shot before I go with Coats. While he may be a longshot, I think he's the superior option between and provides much more upside. Honestly, the sad reality is all our internal options suck.

The sooner we stop wasting AB's on Avi, the better. That means making an acquisition, because the other options right now aren't attractive either. If we contend I'm hopeful Hahn will do something.

For now, Ishikawa belongs on the roster and one of Sands or Avi belongs in the minors.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
With Avisail Garcia looking more and more like his old self again, one has to ask what happens if he's still like this in a month or two. And if the team can't improve via trade (hard to make those level of trades in April or May), what are the options the Sox have internally, in the short term?

Who would you favor, and why? And how much leash, if any, do you give Garcia? Do you act now, or wait for him to improve and/or prospects to get adjusted in AAA first?

well internally, i guess i would go with what you propose but i think i would flip flop coats to #1.

the sox are in a pickle, they screwed up for the savings of the almighty $$$$.

fvvcke i hope the team doesn't suffer.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
The sooner we stop wasting AB's on Avi, the better. That means making an acquisition, because the other options right now aren't attractive either. If we contend I'm hopeful Hahn will do something.

For now, Ishikawa belongs on the roster and one of Sands or Avi belongs in the minors.

the sox org is screwed. b/c now the teams, who might be willing to trade, have the sox at a disadvantage. the price it would take to make the trade and get the player the sox need.

i don't know, any teams still may want to do a salary dump???

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
The team should simply go out and sign David Murphy right now. But if they're determined to give Avi a few weeks before calling it quits, I'd definitely give Sands a shot before I go with Coats. While he may be a longshot, I think he's the superior option between and provides much more upside. Honestly, the sad reality is all our internal options suck.

i agree.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
So what is the deal with David Murphy? Why have 30 teams decided against signing him? Has to be something beyond the stats.

Bad defensively, can't hit LHP, has never hit for much power, nothing special in the on base department, age 34. He's just a guy, can't say I'm shocked he's not signed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 07:59 AM)

Our internal options are a kick in the nuts or a punch in the kidneys. Nah, I think I will stick with the indigestion.

He's had 28 plate appearances. Let's give him a little more time. His BABIP is an entirely unsustainable .167. If it were the .320 mark he hit last year he would have a .280 batting average right now and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

So far this year, albeit a small sample size, his FB% is up, his pull % is up, BB rate is up, K rate is down, pitches per plate appearance is up and his contact rate is up. All positive signs. Let's at least give him a few weeks before we try to magically save our season by calling up the likes of Travis Ishikawa or Jason Coats.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
He's had 28 plate appearances. Let's give him a little more time. His BABIP is an entirely unsustainable .167. If it were the .320 mark he hit last year he would have a .280 batting average right now and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

So far this year, albeit a small sample size, his FB% is up, his pull % is up, BB rate is up, K rate is down, pitches per plate appearance is up and his contact rate is up. All positive signs. Let's at least give him a few weeks before we try to magically save our season by calling up the likes of Travis Ishikawa or Jason Coats.

Yeah I'd still want to replace him.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
So what is the deal with David Murphy? Why have 30 teams decided against signing him? Has to be something beyond the stats.

Because 30 teams don't know diddly. The guy doesn't want to play in the minors at all. He probably would need at least a week or two there to be prepared for the major leagues, and he is on the decline. Plus, maybe where he is willing to play is limited. Guys that have an eye on retiring sometimes play like they are retired when on a roster.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)

I agree with this. To me, he has looked much better at the plate. Now that he is not being a liability in RF all of the time, we can wait it out a bit more.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
None of these are solutions. The front office doubled down of the Garcia bet, now they have to see if it pays off. If it doesn't, hopefully it won't have dragged the team out of contention and they can expend resources to replace him in July.

is there really a difference of having a jack switching with avi???

i mean, i would rather have a jack batting in place of avi.