Panda

Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 16, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
I guess that I do tend to explore some pretty desperate alternatives, in my never ending quest for a left handed hitter. I'm the first to admit that.

Funny thing is... you weren't until Quinarvy called you out on it a while back. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 16, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
I guess that I do tend to explore some pretty desperate alternatives, in my never ending quest for a left handed hitter. I'm the first to admit that.

However, don't you agree that the Sox do in deed need a left handed bat? Right now, Melky is pretty much the only guy who can break up the string of Abreu, Frazier, Lawrie and Avi. Yes, you're right. I do obsess over that void, on the Sox roster.

You will note that our offense has pretty much stunk, during these last few seasons, that I have been harping on this topic. If these guys were getting it done, all from the right side, it would be less of an issue. Rick Hahn has himself, similarly expressed the need for a left handed bat. His choice of LaRoche was a failure, and Kenny Williams' pick of Dunn, wasn't exactly a smashing success, when you consider the cost. So I guess my suggestions haven't been much worse, and would have cost a lot less. They're just lucky LaRoche bowed out of the remainder of his contract. I wish that this organization would finally address this need, and acquire a decent left handed, power bat. Then we could all stop speculating about these desperate possible solutions. Until then, the "quest" continues.

Do you have any realistic candidates, whom you would like to suggest?

I would think currently the only candidate I could think of that would definitely be available at a low price is Jay Bruce. He obviously would be a gamble. I just don't think middle of the order bats are available right now at a price that makes sense. Eventually they will be.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 16, 2016 -> 06:34 PM)
I would think currently the only candidate I could think of that would definitely be available at a low price is Jay Bruce. He obviously would be a gamble. I just don't think middle of the order bats are available right now at a price that makes sense. Eventually they will be.

Let's hope that it's soon.

I understand that some of you don't share my concern over the lack of a left handed middle of the order bat. It might just be coincidental, but please

note that the two guys, who are leading the team in hitting are the left handed hitters, Eaton and Cabrera, and all of Melky's hits so far are batting left handed.

The OBP of our right handed hitters, with the exception of Abreu, is not likely to be very good. I'm not optimistic about Frazier and Lawrie getting on base at an above average rate

and Avi is a huge question mark, at this stage of his career.

I will be very surprised if this glaring need is not addressed by the front office, very soon. They can't afford to waste this terrific pitching. I have no idea how

they are going to accomplish it, but I'd be very surprised if Hahn is not working hard on this issue. It was questionable enough, when they elected to depend

upon LaRoche, but with him gone, it's obvious that they have a big void. What is really frustrating is how they don't even have a single viable, future candidate in the Minors.

At this point, I'd be willing to trade Anderson and stretch the payroll, if it would bring in that bat, for at least a couple more years.

The Sox are very lucky to be 8 and 3 with this offense. While they have played all but two of their games on the road, they haven't faced very good competition.

Edited by Lillian

It's not a left handed bat necessarily. It's a bat. Frazier needs to come out of his coma....if the Sox are going to pay that much for a hitter, he needs to hit. The problems aren't because he hits from the right side. The can also switch Garcia out and try some other guys (Sands, and, dare I suggest, Saladino once in a while).

If we can throw 4 lefties in the rotation, we can use right handed bats. They just need to hit.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 16, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)
It's not a left handed bat necessarily. It's a bat. Frazier needs to come out of his coma....if the Sox are going to pay that much for a hitter, he needs to hit. The problems aren't because he hits from the right side. The can also switch Garcia out and try some other guys (Sands, and, dare I suggest, Saladino once in a while).

If we can throw 4 lefties in the rotation, we can use right handed bats. They just need to hit.

I agree with your assertion that the need is for another solid hitter, period. He doesn't have to necessarily bat left handed. My point has always been that we don't face many good southpaws, because most of the best ones are on our roster. If the Sox could acquire a right handed hitter, who can hit RHP, that would be fine. However, that would likely cost them even more than a guy whose stats are not that impressive, but who at least hits RHP. Therefore, it's more likely that he would be left handed.

Here are the career and current stats for Lawrie and Frazier, vs RHP:

Frazier: Career vs. RHP .252 .317 .446 .763

Currently stats vs. RHP .179 .220 .359 .578

Lawrie: Career vs. RHP .259 .313 .414 .728

Currently stats vs. RHP .250 .289 .306 .595

Their combined career .315 OBP vs. RHP is what troubles me. Those are the two "big bats" which the front office acquired in the off season, which are supposed to help

turn this offense around. I'm not encouraged. Moreover, we don't yet know how Frazier will do facing A.L. pitching. They need another bat, or this team is likely to face

a lot of heart breaking losses, in low scoring games. What a waste of a great pitching staff.

The Sox have been lucky to start the season facing sub .500 teams. Oakland, Cleveland without Brantley and Minnesota didn't pose much of a challenge. It's going to get a whole lot tougher.

Edited by Lillian